Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-21, 03:44 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi Bex, I am a big Dream Body fan but I rarely do the original Dream Body DVD with the informercial-like testimonials mixed in. Ugh it's so terrible! (Not the workout but the presentation) But their original 5-DVD set and the follow up cardio 5-DVD set are both EXCELLENT and you can probably find them cheaper used. They also have a Sweat Lab 6-DVD set (but the workouts are shorter) but I don't like those as much because the toning is split into upper, lower, and abs on separate DVDs instead of a total body mix which I strongly prefer. The three cardio DVDs are good though. They also have a Great in 8 set for download only, which are shorter and easier, and not as well thought out as their two 5-DVD sets and wouldn't be my first recommendation. Their Bump DVD is prenatal but it's still very challenging and a great workout, although I think it may now be OOP. So to summarize I highly recommend their two 5-DVD sets. I reviewed I think all of them on the VF review forum.

I also have Mixxtreme (3-DVD set) and it is very worthwhile. Very similar exercises but done with a little more intention.

For Barlates yes there is a LOT to sift through. These are the DVDs of hers that I like best:

These are the most Dream Body-like in that they are total body toning mixed with cardio:
Cardio Sculpt Fusion (3-DVD set): https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Bar...kou-p/1201.htm
Mix and Match HIIT (https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Bar...dge-p/1209.htm)

This one is not total body, they are separated upper, lower, and abs, but they are easy to mix and match and they are tough! All toning no cardio:
Mix and Match (3-DVD set) https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Bar...-Wo-p/1192.htm

This one is all mat toning, very tough and dynamic...kind of like Dream Body because they also do a lot of tough mat work:
Mat Barre Series: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Mat...D-R-p/z468.htm

I like these two because they are total body, although no cardio:
Precision Training-https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Precision-Training-4-Workouts-Barlates-Body-Blit-p/z225.htm
Overload Training-https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Overload-Training-Series-Barlates-Body-Blitz-D-p/z188.htm

I don't believe any of the ones I mentioned are freebies on youtube, but highly recommend trying stuff out before purchasing to make sure you like her style. She has generic music playing in the background, but I like to play my own music and can do it since her music is pretty quiet in the background.

It's not really apples to apples, but Tonique workouts are in a similar vein in that they are very high rep and little weight (or no weight) with lots of pushup style exercises mixed in.

Not apples to apples either, but considering Dream Body's barre influence, I would also recommend Physique 57, Booty Barre, and HSM Barre as very high energy, athletic barre that kind of have a Dream Body feel. Very energetic instructors, lots of fast movements, lots of reps.
Old 04-21-21, 09:04 PM  
bex

ebianco Thank you so much for the extremely detailed information. It's so generous of you to take the time to share your knowledge & experience.

I've read your breakdowns of Tonique before and they're helping me get into her workouts, so thank you for that as well!

I'll make sure I try the Dreambody DVD set I have, and will check out some of the Barlates you've recommended.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 01:03 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
Hi AsSweetAsSugar! Great to see you. I agree with Jane, we've missed you at the JWT check-in. Please pop in any time and say hello even if you don't want to post every day.

Thanks for the suggestion on Barlates. I'll probably purchase the download, since it's very hard for me to get DVDs sent to China. The only problem is that I don't tend to use short mix & match segments much. I like to put on a workout, press play, and do it until the end.

Are there pre-mixes on the DVD? If you could tell me which segments are in the pre-mixes, I could make up my own version on my computer.
Thanks Bex, I've missed my check-in friends too. Yes, there are premixes in the DVD, if you end getting this one, let me know and I will write them down for you.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 01:25 PM  
Dontmindthemess

So yesterday I tried the 45 min Cardio Barre workout from nourishmovelove. It was really only 40 minutes and wasn’t as intense as any dreambody workout or the Mixxtreme workouts either, but it wasn’t too easy either. It was in the same family, it alternates big full body cardio moves with barre type exercises. There’s balance involved and the impact is shown both high and low. I actually really enjoyed this workout and would definitely do more of hers, especially paired with some cardio or walking.

I went through my Barlates Cardio Sculpt Fusion set this morning too. According to my notes I like barre Bootcamp sculpt best. I do think that one of the things that I like about the dream body and Mixxtreme workouts is that they cycle through the exercises pretty quickly so there’s a lot of variety. Linda seems like she stays on one exercise for a while in these workouts so it makes them feel a little tedious to me.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 09:36 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
ebianco Thank you so much for the extremely detailed information. It's so generous of you to take the time to share your knowledge & experience.

I've read your breakdowns of Tonique before and they're helping me get into her workouts, so thank you for that as well!

I'll make sure I try the Dreambody DVD set I have, and will check out some of the Barlates you've recommended.
Bex You're very welcome! I hope you find some Tonique workouts that you enjoy, and definitely try out your Dream Body DVD set!

Do you have the first set or the second? Of the first set, Fusion Mix with Darby is my absolute favorite. I love her work with the stability ball and all the lower ab and inner thigh work. Of the second set, I love her MILF workout but I think my favorite is Batabarre. It is a tad easier than the hardest which is InTENse, and I like the workout structure of focused tabatas (inner thigh, outer thigh, arms, etc.) then barre.
Old 04-23-21, 09:32 PM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
Do you have the first set or the second? Of the first set, Fusion Mix with Darby is my absolute favorite. I love her work with the stability ball and all the lower ab and inner thigh work.
I have the first set, and based on your recommendation I'll try this one first.

As far as Tonique, I tried starting with those rates as 'easiest', so I've already done Premier and Mat. I was able to do the whole workout matching Sylwia's pace (especially Mat) but didn't find them that much fun.

Tonique 2.1 was much more fun for me, and I ran out of gas about 10 mins before the end - which gives me the 'room to grow' that I seem to seek out. Next on deck for me would be 2.2 and Cardio Mat.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dreambody, mixxtreme