Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-06, 11:23 AM  
Janet B
VF Supporter

Thumbs down When a good DVD goes bad.......

......... aaaarrrrrggghhh!

I am so disappointed I could cry!

I haven't been very consistent to say the least this summer - just not motivated

anyhow...... I decided I'd do the banish your belly fat rotation posted by Toaster (thanks Beth) with functional fitness at its foundation and was all set to start with my all time favourite functional fitness workout Core Cardio which I have in double set with Core Strength. I slide it into the DVD player and........... Nothing. Silence. There's a fractured looking screen and then blank and a little note in the corner says " BAD DISK" What the heck? or stronger words to that effect!

Ah well - quick change of plans I'll do Core Strength instead until I figure out what's wrong with the disk.

Same damn thing happens - excuse my language please ladies but I'm more than a little disappointed here! I turn over the disk and see that tell-tale purple color ....... DVD-r, right? I'm assuming that's the problem right there. I've read, here about DVD-r's going bad but never experienced it.......... until now! Curses! Two of my favourite workouts, albeit not done very often recently, obviously, but favourites nonetheless!

What can I do?

The company that produced these DVDs, Tracie Long Productions, is, I believe, out of business replaced now with Tracie Long Training so I can't e-mail them and politely ask for a replacement, even though I think the DVD -R's were only sold for a short period before pressed DVD's were introduced.

I am so upset I could cry!! I either paid good money or traded good DVDs for these and the original three-set: Core Foundations, Functional Strength and Dynamic Strength and Power and Nitty Gritty / Whole Shebang / Exercise How Tos the compliations from that three set and they are all now absolutely bloody useless to me!

I can't use them, can't trade them, can't sell them - I could spit!

Anyone got any ideas on how to save these DVD's or am I just plain out of luck? (and $$$$)

Is it worth trying to contact Tracie Long? and if so how?
Is there anywhere to even buy these now?

Thanks for listening!

After my brief ray of enthusiasm I'm now back to my slump with a bump!
Old 08-20-06, 11:33 AM  
Harivelo

I am really sorry to hear about your problem but unfortunately I cannot suggest a solution for it. However, I can share my own experience with a good dvd gone wrong.

Two years ago the same thing happened to me with the Core Secrets 20 Minutes workout. I previewed it when it came with the other items from the informercial package. It worked perfectly well but I ended up not using the dvds.

6 monts later, in the summer, I decided to sell everything on E-Bay. Then I found out that the dvd went blank after the introduction. I opened the dvd file on my laptop and found out that almost all the subfiles had vanished. I gave the dvd to my BF who know a lot about technology. He confirmed that the movie files were nowhere to be found.

I have no idea what happened because the dvd was kept in the original box with all the others in the series who still worked fine.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 11:33 AM  
firmaholic

I would log onto Tracie's site: www.tracielongtraining.com go to her customer care and send them off an e-mail. Even though they are under a different name, it's still the same company.

Good luck,
Julia
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 12:06 PM  
antbuko

I think the TLPs are still actually for sale at http://www.tracielong.net/.

There is no shopping cart, but if you click on the link to e-mail Stepanie you may be able to get a replacement. I acquired all of the TLPs in trades this year, with the exception of Nitty Gritty/Whole Shebang, and I do still see them on the swaps. I've been meaning to make back-ups of mine because these have been known to deteriorate.
Old 08-20-06, 12:14 PM  
pipsqueak3211

This is a very common problem with this particular set. Because so many have gone bad, Tracey has said they will not replace them. It would be too expensive and the new ones would go bad too because of the medium they use. Her legal agreement with her former business partner Steven DeGuzman prohibits her from putting these on DVD or even a better DVD-R. It totally stinks. Mine have gone bad too and there is nothing that can be done. What makes me even more mad is the pre-order price I paid was WAY more than the current selling price.
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 12:28 PM  
icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsqueak3211
This is a very common problem with this particular set. Because so many have gone bad, Tracey has said they will not replace them. It would be too expensive and the new ones would go bad too because of the medium they use. Her legal agreement with her former business partner Steven DeGuzman prohibits her from putting these on DVD or even a better DVD-R. It totally stinks. Mine have gone bad too and there is nothing that can be done. What makes me even more mad is the pre-order price I paid was WAY more than the current selling price.
Wow, I have wanted to try these since I love her current TLT's and even thought to trade for them. So, would it be feasible to immediately burn copies of these DVD-R's before going bad? I burn movies on DVD-R/W's and these discs do tend to go bad after a while. Meaning sooner vs. later. If you go to her former website which is currently still active, it does state a disclamer at the bottom. TLP
Old 08-20-06, 12:30 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Yes, we are basically out of luck! Many of us bought these DVDs at a premium price only to have them go bad on us. Mine went bad really quickly. One of them I didn't even get to use. They did replace it, did the workout once, and it too went bad.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 12:46 PM  
Bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsqueak3211
Forgive me, but this does not make sense. Was there a no return policy with these? I don't have them. If this truly is a common problem and the company admits it, I would think they are responsible for something - even if it is a refund or discount or something. Car companies and electronic manufacturers constantly have recalls when they find a defective product that has been sold.

I wouldn't give up if I were you. I'd e-mail Tracie and talk to her. I'd be friendly but business like. Hey, it's worth a try. The worst thing that will happen is she'll say no and you'll still be in the same situation.

I'm not trying to start trouble, this just doesn't seem fair to me.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 12:48 PM  
Janet B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko
I think the TLPs are still actually for sale at http://www.tracielong.net/.

There is no shopping cart, but if you click on the link to e-mail Stepanie you may be able to get a replacement. I acquired all of the TLPs in trades this year, with the exception of Nitty Gritty/Whole Shebang, and I do still see them on the swaps. I've been meaning to make back-ups of mine because these have been known to deteriorate.
{EDITED TO ADD: It looks as though they are for sale but when you click on "Buy now" which I did just for laughs, I have no intention of throwing more good money after bad and purchasing these, it comes up with an error:
"This feature is presently unavailable. Please contact merchant at tracielongproductions.com"
So at least no one else is going to be ripped off.}

Thanks for the link Helen, and notes about the disclaimer Icey. The disclaimer actually says they are not responsible for incompatibility between your DVD player and the DVD-R format
" *Please note that all Tracie Long Productions disc workouts are on DVD-r.
Not all DVD players are compatible with this format. Please consult the
manufacturer of your DVD player before purchasing this format. Tracie Long
Productions is not responsible for refunds or exchanges due to DVD player
incompatability with our products. We offer a one time 30 day replacement
or refund of the purchase price, less shipping and handling, for damaged
products only. Damaged products must be returned to Tracie Long
Productions before a refund or replacement will be issued.*
"
It doesn't speak to DVDs going bad! which is the real problem.

I know that all of these disks worked originally because believe it or not I have actually used them all (well maybe not Nitty Gritty) but I sure intended to when I bought it!! So even if I was able to persuade them to give me replacements which seems extremely unlikely, they would be equally useless.

It's still a real bummer which ever way you look at it and its really too bad that none of the TLP workouts can be reproduced in a pressed DVD format.

Thanks for sharing your stories with me all you fellow "DVD gone bad" sufferers, I know it doesn't make it better for any of us but I guess knowing I'm not the only one makes it a little bit better - it's true I suppose - misery loves company

I haven't tried them in my other player but it doesn't sound like it will do any good, and I can't really use that one to work out with anyhow.

Last edited by Janet B; 08-20-06 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add details
Janet B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 01:09 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

On the forum, Stephanie says to contact her by email if you want to buy any TLP products. The first three were produced on regular dvds. Those were the ones with some sound problems, so Tracie sent out replacements that were dvd-r, but the originals are still circulating and you might be able to buy them on the second hand market. Also Tracie's company might be able to replace them with vhs copies because they were also produced in vhs. As for CC and CS, they were never produced in the vhs format, or on regular dvds.