Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-14, 02:18 PM  
PhyllisG

As others have said, there are a lot of obscure-ish ingredients, like buckwheat groats, chia seeds, ground flax seeds, etc., so if you don't have a good source for those kinds of things nearby, like a Whole Foods-type store or a health food store with a lot of bulk bins, it might be frustrat![/QUOTE]

I have found chia seeds, ground flax seeds, quinoa etc at Marshalls and Home Goods. You can probably order them from amazon too as most of these ingredients come packaged.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 02:30 PM  
sherry7899

I ended up ordering the book from Amazon. I'm sure I will find enough recipes to try It sounds weird, but I enjoy reading cookbooks (does anyone else?).

I'm not vegan, so I won't be using the cashew cream recipe either. I am just attempting to eat less processed foods and make more from scratch.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 03:17 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
I have found chia seeds, ground flax seeds, quinoa etc at Marshalls and Home Goods. You can probably order them from amazon too as most of these ingredients come packaged.
Wow, I will have to check there. My Marshalls and HG only ever seem to have very old tea and pasta sauces Some Big Lots stores here also carry Bob's Mill products now. too. Vita Cost is another good online source as well.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 05:19 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I ended up ordering the book from Amazon. I'm sure I will find enough recipes to try It sounds weird, but I enjoy reading cookbooks (does anyone else?).

I'm not vegan, so I won't be using the cashew cream recipe either. I am just attempting to eat less processed foods and make more from scratch.

Sherry
I could have written your entire post. Which regular cheese do you think would taste most like her cashew cheese? I will be using real cheese since I'm also not vegan.

I am enjoying this cookbook a lot and making cooking plans. So far, I've only tried the "walnut, pear & avocado salad with portobello mushrooms". I don't normally eat mushrooms but I loved it and it was very filling.

I also made her version of homemade almond milk. It was like I was drinking something totally different & refreshing with just a few small tweaks....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 09:22 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I did not see it at Costco today but I did see it at Target. It was $25. Didn't have time to look through it.

Looking forward to hearing more impressions.
Old 04-09-14, 09:48 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Dede! I thought they would charge more in store than on the site. It is ten dollars less on Amazon.

Sherry

Old 04-11-14, 10:42 AM  
sherry7899

I saw "Oh She Glows" in the grocery store Wegmans

Sherry

Old 04-12-14, 01:02 PM  
sherry7899

My copy arrived yesterday-what gorgeous photography! I see several recipes I would like to try soon. I actually have lot of the ingredients she uses. I was worried too many of them would be items I don't regularly keep in the house. I have chia seeds, almond milk and flaxseeds. I don't have buckwheat groats. I won't worry about making vegan sour cream since I eat dairy. I did pick up nutritional yeast-Bob's RedMill Brand-at Wegmans.

If anyone tries any recipes, please post about your experience.

Sherry

Old 04-13-14, 02:35 PM  
cyana

It was $25 at Barnes and Noble versus $15.30 on their web site. I realize they have to pay for brick and mortar stores, but the $10 difference was too steep for me.

Please post your thoughts on the recipes. I'm still on the fence.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cookbooks