Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-15, 11:17 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

MELT Method--Initial Review

Just a little background: over the last few years, I have become extremely tight. I'm turning 43 this month and really noticed this and other problems since I turned 40. I'd never really had any injuries until I turned 40, but developed plantar fasciitis right after my 40th birthday. That's when I started doing barre religiously, and really found barre incredibly therapeutic.

However, even with my regular barre practice and stretching, I've become extremely tight, esp in my upper back, shoulders and neck. I've developed an injury in my right shoulder, which my physical therapist believes is inflammation of the supraspinatus -- a postural overuse injury. Despite weekly PT since December, massage therapy and regular stretching, I've experienced only minor improvement, and my muscles tighten right back up after stretching. And I suffered a massive muscle spasm in my upper back last week. This is why I was interested in MELT. Trying to find something to relieve pain and ideally restore some suppleness (is that a word??) to my muscles.

Today I received the DVD set and soft roller. I have a soft ball at home that I am using for the ball sequences. It's not the official MELT ball, but seems to work well.

About the DVDs:
The set includes three DVDs. There is really a lot of material included with the DVDs. The first disc is introductory information. Worth watching to get your feet wet. It also has the mini foot and hand treatments (using the ball), as well as the basic rebalancing sequence, during which you use the roller.

The second disc has upper and lower body sequences. There is some repeat material, but the whole program is very content-rich, I'd say.

The third disc is for maintenance, so I haven't watched that yet.

The getting started recommendation is hand/foot and rebalance at least 2-3x for the first week, then add upper and lower body sequences. If you have specific issues, they recommend starting with an indirect technique, meaning do the sequence that does not specifically target the area where you have pain.

So today I did the rebalance, hand and foot and a lower body segment. I did notice some increased range of motion and 'looseness' after rebalance and hand/foot, but I was really surprised how relaxing the lower body sequence was for me. I had a lot of tender/tight spots in my legs, particularly in my calves. I don't identify those as being particularly tight areas, but wow... they def. were 'crunchy' and need work. My upper body did feel somewhat less tight, which is interesting. I also felt some relief from the slight tingling I often feel in my right arm.

I'm really looking forward to doing MELT daily in hopes of seeing marked improvement all over.

Apparently the DVDs are meant to accompany the book, and I guess there is more info on how to tailor the program to specific issues in the book. If anyone has the book and has recommendations for me on what to target specifically, I'd appreciate it.

I'll check back and let you know how it's progressing. I'm really hoping this helps! I was beginning to despair that I was going to be stiff and tight forever, so hopefully this will help!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 11:44 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'll add that I thought Sue was terrific--very clear instruction, good video presence.
Old 03-17-15, 12:31 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I'm glad you found a little relief. With chronic pain, even a little relief is special. I'm on my way to PT. I'll look in the book when I get back unless someone gets to it before I do. I've been using the book off and on since it came out. At one point I did get hurt using Melt but my muscles were so tight that most any movement hurt me.

Your shoulder pain is different from mine. I've had shoulder blade pain that always comes from a pelvis problem. Doing an upper body sequence in my case won't do much because it's a lower body problem. My leg gets short, my hip gets high and the shoulder that hurts. Easily fixable because I know what to do.

I'm just so grateful to Sue for giving me hope. Chronic pain is awful.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 01:04 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Great review, Nuggie's Auntie!

Today I did the foot & hand sequence on the Getting Started DVD. Sue used a table for the hands (just below elbow height) but I used a chair sitting on the floor, since I was in my exercise room. The foot exercises felt wonderful on the feet and both hand/foot practices can be done pretty quickly. Then you'll check how much improvement you feel by reclining on the floor. It's also recommended that you drink water before and after MELTing.

Yesterday I tried the Upper Body lengthening and liked it. It was my first time with a roller of any kind, and even the little that was done felt great for shoulders. It was easy for me to get up on the roller, and I have a wrestling mat that I used underneath, since I'm on a hard tile floor.

Today I did the Lower Body Compression Sequence and the work on the calves, thighs, and butt! It was amazing the feeling while doing the thigh work with the roller! You don't realize how tight and knotted up you are, until you find the area while on the roller. Laying on the floor to do a rebalance check, I could really see the alignment difference. I know I'm going to be doing this daily for lower body! Wow, just wow! I just feel so much better!

I plan to follow the schedule in the Getting Started Guide which is just hand and foot exercises for the first week. After that you add in the other sequences that are on the 2nd disc. I haven't looked very closely at the material (book, 3rd disc or Getting Started disc.) I like what I've seen so far!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 01:10 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Pam, yes, I think it was the lower body compression sequence that I did today, and I loved it, too!

Luvcritters, that's so interesting about your shoulder being related to your hip. How did you figure that out?!
Old 03-17-15, 01:28 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thank you Nuggie's Auntie and Pam for reviews. How long is the Lower Body Compression Sequence? It sounds wonderful. I don't have any pain but I do have tight hips. I've been trying to do more yoga that focuses on hips but I think foam rolling would loosen them up too.
Old 03-17-15, 01:29 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Helen, it was maybe 10 minutes? All the segments are pretty short.
Old 03-17-15, 01:58 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Thank you ladies for the review! I am really encouraged that both of you liked the method, and that both of you found some relief. Now, I really can't wait to get my kit which should be here in by the weekend. Thanks again for taking the time to write the review.
Old 03-17-15, 02:04 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Helen, it was maybe 10 minutes? All the segments are pretty short.
That sounds perfect. I was wondering how somebody could fit in a segment every day if they were around 30 minutes. 10 minutes is more doable. Thanks again.

Also, I love the picture of you and Burr. I didn't get to comment on your thread because I first read it on my Kindle and I hate typing on it. I'm glad you were able to meet her and I like placing a face with your name. I'm sorry that you couldn't work out with her but you might get a chance next time.
Old 03-17-15, 02:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I bought the big package mostly for my husband, who has horrible plantar fasciitis and is willing to try almost anything. We did one of the foot segments together last night. He was very, very skeptical listening to the words she was saying, but, as he is willing to give anything a go for some relief, he went through the whole thing. He did say he felt something afterward, but I haven't had a chance to ask him today whether or not he noticed anything. I think it could take a while since he's had it a while.

I'm curious to try that lower body sequence -- I like that the segments are short. I'd be happy if any of this helped me sleep better!
bee is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
melt method, suzanne hitzman