Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-15, 07:34 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Sissy- I have "The House at Midnight" by Lucie Whitehouse on my tbr pile.

I can post a few ideas tomorrow.
Sherry - I haven't read that one, but a friend of mine said it was really bad. She said that if she had read it first, she would not have bothered reading anymore of Lucie Whitehouse's books. And like me, she loved Before We Met.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 07:35 PM  
sherry7899

Darn! At least I got it from paperback swap and did not spend money on it. I did like "Before We Met."

I also have "Under Your Skin" by Sabine Durant to read soon.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 07:43 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
I found Upstairs, Downstairs during the first season of Downton. I loved both, but I used to get the characters mixed up between the 2 series, particularly the staff! Yes, Upstairs, Downstairs does get better, but of course the production values of the early 70s were nowhere near the glitzy Downton work you see today. Don't let that turn you away, though!
I've seen the original Upstairs, Downstairs several times over the decades, I think PBS has repeated it a good many times.

This is my first time watching the seasons at my own pace, and honestly, I'm not sure I like the first season at all. I think part of the trouble is that I want there to be an over-arcing season long plot to follow (the way so many shows do these days) and UD just doesn't do that.

Am putting the second season on hold ASAP, though, because I remember really liking the characters, and would like to give it a better chance.

The Seventies hair styles are very distracting, though, especially on the men.
These days most shows get that kind of detail more properly correct, guess I've gotten spoiled.
Old 03-10-15, 08:31 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I started it an then put it aside to read other things. I like listening to Brene Brown's talks, but the book wasn't really addressing anything in my life at the moment.
Thanks for your feedback, Kate. I hadn't heard any of her talks and had only picked up the book b/c it was recommended by the instructor of my teacher training. Maybe it's just that there wasn't very much new to me...I'm not sure. I found her style a bit melodramatic as well.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 10:14 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

Thank you Sissy! Just bought the Kindle version. I appreciate it
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 10:20 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine View Post
Thank you Sissy! Just bought the Kindle version. I appreciate it
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Old 03-11-15, 11:43 AM  
sherry7899

Josephine,

I have these books in my TBR pile:

-Alex Marwood: "The Killer Next Door" and "The Wicked Girls"
-Tammy Cohen "Dying for Christmas"
-Ella Harper "Pieces of You"

Books on my Amazon wish list:

-Colette McBeth "The Life I Left Behind"
-Louise Millar "Accidents Happen"
-Samantha Hayes "Until You're Mine"
-Sophie McKenzie "Trust in Me"
-Harriet Lane "Alys, Always"
-Michael Kardos "Before He Finds Her"
-Sinead Crowley "Can Anybody Help Me"
-Jamie Mason "Mondays Lie"
-Lili Anolik "Dark Rooms"
-Kimberly McCreight "Where they Found Her"
-Peter Swanson "The Kind Worth Killing"

You may like the author Rosalind Noonan-she writes psychological suspense.

Hopefully some of those authors will pique your interest.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-15, 01:10 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I was a great reader in my youth and to about my 30's but vision problems cut the habit short. Last week Hubby helped me download OverDrive onto my phone. I can read the ereaders but prefer the audiobooks {so I can knit while listening!} My tastes in reading run to 'light and fluffy', generally romance or the new-to-me titled genre of Cozy Mystery {especially those about knitting!}. My usual description has been "I'm more Miss Marple than Alex Cross" I read mostly sci-fi in my youth so I'm looking forward to getting back into that also.

so far I've read
Love is Murder and Love Her To Death by Linda Palmer
Desperate Housedogs by Sparkle Abbey. I started Get Fluffy but I'm not really enjoying it, also its an eReader and I have Crocodile on a Sandbank waiting to be listened to, in the wings.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-15, 02:00 PM  
Judy W.

I just finished a new book I downloaded from the library on my Kindle device, 'The Bookseller' by Cynthia Swanson. I think it's her first novel, and it's really different! In 1962, a single working girl begins having very realistic dreams where she is a married mother of triplets living in early 1963. In the dream she's still herself and lives in the same town, but married a man who in "real" life had stood her up on a blind date some years before. In her dreams, they had met as scheduled and went on to marry. Her married life seems idyllic as we first read about it, but as the dreams go on we see some real shadows over her happiness.

There were a few holes here and there! When she'd be in 1963, she was always trying to figure out the date, which any newspaper or newcast could have told her. But for the most part, it was believable and definitely kept my interest. If you enjoy this kind of tale, this one is definitely worth checking into!

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-15, 02:29 PM  
Sissy B

Josephine - Cynthia Eden also writes really good suspense novels. They're technically classified as romantic suspense. Some of them are 3 book series, but each book focuses on a different set of characters. For example, someone who played a minor role in book 1 may be the main character in book 3.

I've read Scream for Me (A Novel of the Night Hunter), and her series which includes Deadly Fear, Deadly Heat and Deadly Lies.

Tags
books, reading, spring 2015