Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-20, 10:50 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 6/28-7/4: Mat Mavens Declare Their Independence From Shoes!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, Pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 10:55 AM  
JustSandra

Hi again!

It's that time of year when we get to recycle our Fourth of July thread title (apologies to our Anny!).

These days I'm all about getting in long morning walks whenever my schedule permits. Otherwise workouts have been hit-or-miss. It was pretty hot last week here which didn't help, but high temps next week are supposed to be somewhat cooler.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm off now for my walk, and would also like to finish off Classical Stretch Season 13 in the next few days (just three more episodes to go).

Waving to all -- be back later!

Old 06-28-20, 12:11 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

TBM Dancer's Body (Calves & Thighs & stretch; Seat Work & stretch)
Voight Full Body Stretch (Slow Stretch practice)

Voight's Slow Stretch practice felt wonderful after frying my lower body with TBM.

Sandra, thank you for starting our thread! I always loved our thread title of declaring our independence from shoes.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 03:58 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, I forgot about our annual thread title tradition--thanks for remembering! I don't know if I told you, but I finally did library pickup this past week; I had something on hold, and I just had to call when I got there for them to bring it to my car.

Paine, barre work is so sneakily tough! I've been challenged by the Barre3 practices, even the 10 minute ones.

Today was another day when I wasn't sure what to do workout-wise. I did a search for Firm Workouts on YouTube and found Super Body Sculpt, which uses the Fanny Lifter. I had not done any tall box weighted lunges in a LONG time...I think I am going to be sore tomorrow!

Monday
Barlates Body Blitz (YT) - 100 (or is 1000?) Rep Challenge, Squats & Kicks
recumbent bike, 27 minutes

Tuesday
30MTF Build & Burn - Upper Body Supersets (twinning with Garrie)
BedfordTV MA (YT) - Barre3 30 Minutes #3

Wednesday
The Body Book (YT) - 10m Barre3 Kitchen Workout with Sadie
TruYoga (Vimeo) - 6/22 yoga class with Aimee

Thursday
YTT Yin Yoga 90m Class (Day 4, Lesson 1)

Friday
Barre3 (YT) - 5m TGIF Workout
PopSugar (YT) - Barre3 10m Glutes & Hamstrings
PopSugar (YT) - 30m Body Combat Inspired Workout

Saturday
Barre3 (FB) - 20m Rittenhouse
TruYoga (Vimeo) - 6/26 yoga class with Aimee (about 35 mins; I ran out of steam!)

Sunday
Barre3 (FB) - 20m Workout with Holly
The Firm (YT) - Super Body Sculpt Workout (skipped warm-up & abs)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 06:28 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, you had a good workout week. I bet you will be sore tomorrow! I don't think I could do tall box weighted lunges.
Old 06-28-20, 07:01 PM  
JustSandra

Hi yet again!

This morning was an XLAW, about two hours. For

Today's Workout: I did episode 1316 from Classical Stretch Season 13. Even though this one featured floor work it wasn't one of my favorites from the season. Miranda seemed more distracted than usual -- she did barely any cueing, and made two major errors not working sides evenly. Two more episodes in Season 13 to go.

Paine: That's an interesting combo for your workout today, but it makes sense to follow intense barre work with a good stretch (even though The Bar Method is better at stretching than most barre workouts).

Beth: Another great week for you! You've inspired me to look for Firm workouts on YouTube. My local VF buddy mentioned she still has the whole WHFN set still -- I may ask to borrow a couple of those FitPrimes from her!

Waving to all!

Old 06-28-20, 08:00 PM  
cyana

It's a total coincidence as far as our yearly Independence from shoes is concerned, but I went without shoes for 6 consecutive days this week!!! On the down side, that means I didn't get out for any walks.

Work-outs were boring, but at least they happened: upper body weights one day, lower body weights the next with daily stability ball crunches x 50 reps, 20 back extensions on the stability ball, daily breath meditation AM and PM and today I also did this breath meditation from Kim Eng: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67SeR3LxtdI .

Sandra - I'm jealous of your nice, long walks! I still have my WHFN's and can't see myself parting with them. One of my few successful rotations was using the WHFN FitPrimes. I think I should have an honorary PhD as a Rotation Failure Extraordinaire by now! How did your niece's 108 sun salutations practice go?

Paine - I don't have that KV video, but I'm sure she stretched you out nicely since she excels with those practices. Just reading the title of that TBM video makes my lower body tired. Are you having better luck finding rice and such in your stores? DH went to Whole Wallet the past two weeks and said the frozen food coolers were nearly empty, and the shelves in some other area were rather bare.

Beth - Hooray for moving along with your yin training. I didn't realize those Firms were on YT....I didn't buy many of those post-BBH Firms as they just weren't the same and when they came out with the Fanny Lifter, they used that term so many times it made my head hurt. I liked CAWT with Emily (the "gettin' down with the Fanny Lifter video,LOL), as it had a bit of a Classics feel to it.

Waves to Carolyn, Anny and Garrie. Hope all is well with Linda (and your hands!).

I'm going to miss our annual fireworks celebration on the 4th. I've been hearing people in the neighborhood shoot off fireworks for weeks....not sure what's u with that.

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 10:51 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Squeeze (Upper Body work)
CS 1315

Cyana, I want to try that Kim Eng meditation--thanks for posting it!
Fortunately, I've stocked up on dried beans and brown rice so we are set with that for awhile. The markets here still have some empty shelves. I wonder how long it will take for things to get back to normal?
I hope your brother is doing better.

EDIT TO ADD: I went on a 1.6 mile walk to and from the park with my grandson. He ran at the park while I walked.
Old 06-29-20, 04:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I'm laughing about your run/walks with your grandson.

cyana, I think some of the Firms that are on YT are probably there illegally. I never bother to save them to playlists b/c I think they'll be removed eventually.

Sandra, I had some of the WHFNs for awhile; they were fun.

Surprisingly, I am not sore today from the tall box climbs, at least not any more than usual. This morning I used my recumbent bike plus another Barre3, this a routine that Sadie posted from her home on FB. I was going to do a free yoga class offered by a local yoga studio, but I didn't have time b/c I found out that at noon, there was going to be a Zoom get-together for my mom's retirement. She is retiring from her position as the executive director for a non-profit in NJ (a county chapter of CONTACT, a national organization).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 05:12 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, I've always hated running. I admire people who run/jog but I don't want to do it.
I'm also surprised you aren't sore from the tall box climbs. You are in better shape than you thought.
Congratulations to your mom on her retirement!