Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-20, 11:22 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I never had anything but a few Tamilee workouts that I rotated...FOR YEARS.
Hah!! Isn't it crazy to think about??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
There are days I wish I didn't have so much variety. I can't believe I'm saying that lol!
I think this sometimes and then slap myself for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I recall a time when my whole collection fit into a banker's box. I think I could emulate that now - just focus on a handful of workouts and put my blinders on instead of:

squirrel! (distracted)
squirrel! (distracted again)
YES! Me too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Let us know how it goes with the Body Blast series.
I will! I'm going to power through one more week of Intensity and then on to Body Blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
I did those two workouts so often, I could do them by heart today if you just played the audio track.
Me too on The Firm! I no longer own them because I did them way too many times, and even after taking years off I could never bring myself to use those original volumes again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
That is a great idea, Kittybug! I may try this with Cathe’s!
Join me...you know you want to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
I did this 2 years ago. I think I owned 85 DVDs at that point . It was lots of fun!!! So many oldies but goodies. But I agree there is something with repeating workouts in a rotation to see your progress.
It is fun so far! And it gives me something to work towards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiletha444 View Post
This is such a fun idea!
You also know you want to join me, hah hah hah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Every year or two, I'll go through Cathe's STS. In fact, I have one more workout to go to complete my latest rotation. I love the longer rest periods and heavy weights of Mesocycle 3, and repeating the same exercises for 4 weeks.
STS is the one thing I haven't ventured into but I've been super curious about it. One of these days....of course, I probably don't have all the equipment I'd need from what I've seen of STS, certainly not a squat rack...do I need one?
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 03:59 PM  
manleym

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Two things....one, this has kicked my bum in a really nice way, and two, WOW, I wouldn't say I'm bored, but I'm absolutely craving variety already now and can't wait to move on to the Body Blast series just for a change! After only three weeks! And that got me thinking...

I remember my early days when I only had The Firm (on VHS), the originals, and not even all of them. I'd rotate volumes 2, 3, and 4, and I did that for YEARS before discovering other workouts. YEARS. I can't even fathom that now.
Glad you had good results Kittybug! That's always a good thing.

Like so many of ya'll I started with 3 Firm VHS. I think it was BSS 1. Just rotated through them. Now I have so much variety I can spend 30 minutes just staring at my collection, trying to decide which workout to do.

Like others have mentioned, there's something to be said for simplicity and the variety can be overwhelming. But I would get so bored! That was one good thing about The Firm. Each workout was a different instructor which mixed things up a bit more.

I have noticed recently that because I have so much variety, and I do mix up my workouts (types and instructors) during the week, I'm having a harder time remembering on Saturday what I did on Monday!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 04:33 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
Glad you had good results Kittybug! That's always a good thing.

Now I have so much variety I can spend 30 minutes just staring at my collection, trying to decide which workout to do.

I have noticed recently that because I have so much variety, and I do mix up my workouts (types and instructors) during the week, I'm having a harder time remembering on Saturday what I did on Monday!
Right?? When I don't have a specific rotation in mind, these days, I'm lost! I've also started keeping an electronic journal to track what I'm doing which is helpful to look back on.
Old 01-17-20, 04:41 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Now I have so much variety I can spend 30 minutes just staring at my collection, trying to decide which workout to do.
This can happen to me when I am coming up with my rotation...but I actually enjoy that so much!!

Quote:
That was one good thing about The Firm. Each workout was a different instructor which mixed things up a bit more.
Even if I do a firm only week they still feel different. I never feel that with a week dedicated to other instructors. But that's ok too

Quote:
Oh.. thank you!!!
If I can blame that area of forgetfulness on something else ...(that I have mixed up the videos too much ) then I am TOTALLY on board with that being my problem!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 09:54 PM  
angie_nrs

I tend to use my older workouts more than my newer ones b/c I KNOW them so well. I used to do those over and over again b/c it was all I had. I had a 6 week rotation of VHS in the cabinet and I would put 5 videos on each shelf and that was my workout week. I just keep repeating those, and I find myself gravitating to them when I'm not sure which workout to do on a given day.

Now, there's many sets that I have that I don't use that much. I think maybe it's b/c I am not very familiar with them. The thread on the board asking to compare Fit Split with Strong and Sweaty reminded me of that. I think I only did those workouts when they first came out and that was pretty much it.

I guess I really should do a Cathe monthly rotation just to put some of those workouts to use!
Old 01-19-20, 07:33 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
I'm three weeks into my planned four weeks of rotating the Intensity Series (Pyramid Upper and Lower, Boot Camp/Muscle Endurance, Imax 2/Cardio and Weights, and The Terminator) before moving on. Two things....one, this has kicked my bum in a really nice way, and two, WOW, I wouldn't say I'm bored, but I'm absolutely craving variety already now and can't wait to move on to the Body Blast series just for a change! After only three weeks! And that got me thinking...

I will say there's something to be said for repeating workouts like this. It has given me a gauge to notice improvement, and I can really focus because I know what to expect by heart, which is great. And I wonder if I'd be feeling this antsy if I didn't have all these other great series to work my way through, like back in the day, when we didn't have all these choices!
I agree, and I have thought of doing something like this for a long time. Doing a rotation just using what I consider to be my personal Hall of Fame collection, which would include Push Pull, original Pyramid, Legs & Glutes, and some others. It would be a way for me to experiment if I do get bored using the same workouts, but also gauge the progress.

I like variety, but also find especially lately I am reaching for the same workouts anyway, so just having enough variety but not too much. And really monitor what I use in the next 6-12 months, I still have a lot of workouts that don't get used right now but maybe that will change, and maybe it won't.

Some of her Intensity and Body Blast workouts I feel are among her best ever. Have fun with your rotation.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 02:31 PM  
manleym

Quote:
I've also started keeping an electronic journal to track what I'm doing which is helpful to look back on.
That's a good idea! I need to do something to help me keep track of what I've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Oh.. thank you!!!
If I can blame that area of forgetfulness on something else ...(that I have mixed up the videos too much ) then I am TOTALLY on board with that being my problem!
LOL! I'm so glad it's not just me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
I tend to use my older workouts more than my newer ones b/c I KNOW them so well. I just keep repeating those, and I find myself gravitating to them when I'm not sure which workout to do on a given day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
I like variety, but also find especially lately I am reaching for the same workouts anyway, so just having enough variety but not too much.
I find myself reaching for the same workouts too because of this. They are familiar. I really need to spend more time and effort learning some of the new to me workouts. Maybe I'll try one new to me workout per week to help me start learning them.

At one point I would pick out all of my workouts for the upcoming week and have them out and ready. Might need to do that again, incorporating some new to me workouts.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 02:39 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

To those of you who gravitate to the workouts you already know versus trying the newer ones, THIS is another reason I'm doing this rotation! I do the exact same thing.

I have acquired so many of Cathe's workouts in the last couple of years after a long hiatus from her, and some I haven't even tried yet despite having them for a while now! I figure going through chronologically will get me to try and learn those new-to-me workouts and shake things up at the same time!

But I also agree that her older stuff really is awesome!
Old 01-21-20, 11:17 AM  
warriorprincess

Quote:
Hah!! Isn't it crazy to think about??
STS is the one thing I haven't ventured into but I've been super curious about it. One of these days....of course, I probably don't have all the equipment I'd need from what I've seen of STS, certainly not a squat rack...do I need one?
You could use a weighted vest and a lighter barbell for the squats, but I use my squat rack for the chin ups and bench presses as well.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 11:27 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
You could use a weighted vest and a lighter barbell for the squats, but I use my squat rack for the chin ups and bench presses as well.
Ohhhh, I wasn't even thinking about chin-ups...that's a good point, thank you! I'd want/need equipment I don't have room for, sigh. Some day.....

Tags
analysis paralysis, cathe, cathe rotation, cathe rotation checkin, cathe rotations, too many choices, too many options, variety, watulan check-in