Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-16, 02:18 PM  
Diana3271

Last night I did a couple exercises from Barbara's Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief (Hip Pain - SI Joint premix) on my own and I did the Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips with Gary Kraftsow. There is a huge difference in how I felt this morning vs. how I felt last Saturday and Sunday. I ordered another DVD with shorter sections and should have it next week. I love keeping these DVD's around for when stuff like this happens.

Something that I forgot to mention in the beginning. Two weeks ago I went to the photo lab and was developing pictures, putting information on them, etc. I was sitting on a bar stool type chair for a least 2 hours. I actually started noticing the pain coming on after that. I wonder if sitting on that chair for that long was part of the problem.

Anyways, I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. It has been very helpful to me and I am feeling so much better.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 02:38 PM  
donnamp

Diana - glad you are feeling better - the chair could have been the culprit!

I have to look into that yoga DVD you mentioned.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 02:50 PM  
Diana3271

I forgot to mention, this is the other DVD that I bought and will have next week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlyBJMF5f0Y It has shorter segments.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 12-09-16, 04:27 PM  
donnamp

Oh thanks!

Another I like is Barbara Benagh's back care DVD - I like the "revitalizing" practice the best. I also like Suzanne Deason's Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 12:23 PM  
Castella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Fidget Queen Wow! Thank you for the information. It sounds difficult to actually do things correctly, even if you try and know what you are doing.
What makes it even harder is when your glutes don't respond because they aren't receiving the "go to work" signals. I did some physical therapy and was told that as we age, glutes tend to atrophy because the nerve signals aren't reaching them. I was shocked to be told how weak my glutes are, after I had dedicated over a year to just focusing on building glute & core strength.

I'm supposed to do high rep bridges and I'm doing it, but I don't feel anything much happening. I'm also doing just about every glute workout that I have (Cathe, pilates). But I definitely feel other muscles kicking in and trying to take over. I like the reward of being able to tell that I've worked something, and it is hard to get that from non-responders! It's also a challenge for me to get the form needed to target the glutes, especially with high reps since I tend to zone out after 6 or 7 reps.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-16, 09:53 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I think since so many of us sit all day - our glutes are "turned off" and forget how to do their job. It is hard to retrain, for sure, since it is easier to let our other muscles take over the job of those glutes.
Donna
I think this is the problem with me. I spend too much time sitting in my job. I try to move as much as possible. I think floor work does help. As someone said, bridges vs deadlifts. Some weight work bothers my back. I also am finding that the recliner can be an issue. But this time of year I enjoying having hot chocolate and a blanket on the recliner while catching up on shows on demand that I missed. It's my favorite time after a long day.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-16, 02:14 PM  
nevertoolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I forgot to mention, this is the other DVD that I bought and will have next week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlyBJMF5f0Y It has shorter segments.
Diana,

I've been interested in this DVD for a long time. Can you share your thoughts on it after you've tried it?

Thanks.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-16, 02:32 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
Diana,

I've been interested in this DVD for a long time. Can you share your thoughts on it after you've tried it?

Thanks.

Ann
I will. I should have it the middle of the week.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 12-11-16, 02:51 PM  
Castella

Just to be clear, sitting all day is a popular culprit right now, but it is not the source of my issues. I spoke to the physical therapist about this specifically and also asked about getting a standing work station. He said those really don't make a difference and that sitting has nothing to do with deterioration of nerve function. He also said that all I can accomplish at this point is slowing further loss.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sacroiliac joint, si joint