Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-16, 08:51 AM  
Diana3271

Question Let's talk SI joint

So about 1-2 weeks ago, I noticed THAT pain again. LOL I had a previous flare up, a few years ago. I did appropriate exercises, got better and have been fine ever since. I have started doing some exercises, again, and I'm doing better. I'm still stiff and sore, but things are improving. I did a search on here for information. Someone recommended Barbara's Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief (Hip Pain - SI Joint premix). I did that one last night. But it is long compared to what I normally do at night. If I have to do this one, I will, and I do like Barbara. But are there any other DVD options? Another issue with the length of Barbara's is that it doesn't give me time to do any upper body stretches.

I also wanted to try to figure out what actually causes these flare ups. I read on here that some people said doing dead lifts can cause this problem. I do mostly KCM for strength and she does dead lifts. Also, I have been doing a weekly outdoor walk with a friend, can that be problematic? Another change I have made is that I have been doing more Leslie and Jessica walking due to lower energy levels.

I appreciate any thoughts that you would like to share. TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 09:01 AM  
sherry7899

Diana-I am so sorry that you are going through this.

In my experience-and this is ONLY my experience, I have found that walking dvds actually aggravate my lower back and hips, including the SI joint. My hips and lower back get really tight from doing walking workouts. I have found that doing low impact dance workouts actually loosens my hips and lower back.

As far as yoga, there are a lot of shorter practices on you tube that are helpful. I will try to post some links later (on my way out now).

I hope you feel better-

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 09:07 AM  
Sara1000

I have also found indoor walking aggravates hip pain (sciatica?) whereas walking outside doesn't, unless I do steep hills.

Some of the recommended stretches also seem to makes it worse, including Classical stretch.

Squats seem to make it better, especially deep squats.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 09:09 AM  
sherry7899

Diana-what time frame do you need for yoga/stretching? I will try to find things for you later.

The yoga channel Yoga TX has a ton of twenty minute practices. Is that a good time frame for you?

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 09:24 AM  
Diana3271

Thank you for the replies! I knew I could get help here. Barbara's practice is 36 minutes so anything less than that would be helpful, LOL. If there was something 15-20 minutes (or less) it would give me time to do an upper body stretch on my own. I usually only do 10 minutes for a total body stretch (Tamilee), but I realize that's not going to work in this case. Again, I appreciate the recommendations.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 12-07-16, 09:29 AM  
fatkat555

I've read too that hamstring stretches if done improperly can cause SI joint pain. For example, when placing feet apart and bending forward with straight legs. The knees should be bent slightly and once in position then the legs can straighten to the person's degree of comfort. Does that make sense?

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 09:44 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
I've read too that hamstring stretches if done improperly can cause SI joint pain. For example, when placing feet apart and bending forward with straight legs. The knees should be bent slightly and once in position then the legs can straighten to the person's degree of comfort. Does that make sense?
Yes, it makes sense. But I don't understand the mechanics behind why it would be an issue, LOL.

I have always had tight hamstrings and I'm constantly trying to stretch them.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 12-07-16, 09:46 AM  
Diana3271

Something else. Several online videos show putting a strap or band around the legs and then opening the legs. This gives a weird feeling behind my knee after and takes a while to clear up. So I don't want to deal with that. I can do the squeeze in with pillow. I have not tried opening the legs without a strap or band and do not know if that would be helpful in the first place. Maybe resistance is needed for that move to work.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 12-07-16, 10:13 AM  
Demeris

I don't do yoga, but I do want to report that Jessica's walks make me ache all over. It's a pity, because I really like her personality and her body of work.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 10:22 AM  
Diana3271

Another question is, would jogging during the walking workouts (Leslie/Jessica) create the same issues with the SI area? I do understand that we are all different, but just in general would it work the same areas? TIA

LM Combat 02/13

Diana

Tags
sacroiliac joint, si joint