Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-14, 06:03 PM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

Jill Miller yoga recommendation requested (SI joint/hip issues)

I am having chronic problems with SI joint dysfunction, proximal hamstring pain, IT tightness, and glute/hip tightness. I have read that the Jill Miller DVDs can be helpful. Is there a particular DVD that would be most appropriate for my injury? I have been unable to run for six months now and it seems to not be improving (despite spending a lot of time and money on physios, chiros, massage therapists, acupuncture), so I am wanting to see if I can find things to pursue on my own.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Loleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14, 08:13 PM  
lrb04

Loleen* I have almost all Jill's DVD but Hip helpers is a good one but the tune up balls are not used in that one. Yoga blocks & strap are used. I would recommend either On Demand massage or Treat as you Train. These have other areas in the body besides the areas you mentioned but those areas are covered. They use yoga tune up balls. I hope others chime in!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14, 09:46 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have a lot of Jill's work and I really like her a lot. I echo Fran and recommend Hip Helpers too. It is long at an hour and pretty intense in spots, but effective. Her older work - Pelvic Primer and Triangle Tune Up are both really good as well, but hard to find as they are OOP.

You also might find that a yin yoga practice with a hip focus helpful as well.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14, 11:41 PM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

Thanks for this! I will order the massage and the hip DVDs tonight. Most appreciated! If anyone has additional suggestions (or experience to share), I am interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 11-15-14, 12:22 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
...... I would recommend either On Demand massage or Treat as you Train.....
Definitely second this suggestion.
Old 11-15-14, 01:08 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loleen View Post
I am having chronic problems with SI joint dysfunction, proximal hamstring pain, IT tightness, and glute/hip tightness. I have read that the Jill Miller DVDs can be helpful. Is there a particular DVD that would be most appropriate for my injury? I have been unable to run for six months now and it seems to not be improving (despite spending a lot of time and money on physios, chiros, massage therapists, acupuncture), so I am wanting to see if I can find things to pursue on my own.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Loleen,

I have struggled with all of the above, sometimes for very long periods of time from running. I haven't had any hip problems for about a year now.

I cannot say for sure, but I do know that my problem seemed to go away after I was very consistently doing Jill's "At Home" series for about 9 months. I have Level 1 and Level 2.

I did sometimes incorporate some of the Quick Fix workouts and some of her other DVDs. I actually think the KneeHab dvd has some really good work for the hips. But I was most consistent just doing her yoga dvds over a longer period of time.

I actually have not been very consistent with this the past 6 months, and so far haven't had any new hip troubles, but I really should get back to it, because I do think it helps keep trouble away.

I should add that I never run more than 3 times a week, and mostly it is only once or twice a week. That has probably helped as well. I'd rather run a little, than not at all.

It is a common thing for me to rest my trouble areas for a long time and never see improvement, but then carefully re-introduce the activity along with good stretching and strengthening exercises and have things get better. I don't know why, but rest almost never works for me! That is contrary to most medical advice, I know, but it has been my experience.

I haven't tried On Demand or Treat while you Train, but I'll get them both eventually. I really love Jill and what I've learned from her.
Old 11-15-14, 02:05 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I really like Jill, but I found the super-long sequences in her "Yoga Link" series DVDs (e.g., Hip Helpers) to be too overwhelming. That's why I really like her Massage Therapy Kit (aka "On Demand," although that's not actually the name of the set--that's just a tag line on the front of the case). I much prefer being able to pick and choose from the shorter segments (mostly 10-15 minutes), and I prefer her ball work to anything else.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 02:45 PM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

Thank you for the additional responses!

Lisa, you have given me great hope. How many times a week did you do Jill's workouts? Are they something that I could do almost every day?
Old 11-15-14, 02:53 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi again!
I worked my way through levels 3 & 4 of YTUAH doing one every day, took me a little over a month and they did feel great! I do Jill's reclined leg series (it's in several of her dvds) almost every evening.
You can sample her work on her youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/yogatuneupvideos/featured

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 04:24 PM  
lrb04

My experience with Jill. I have all 4 levels of yoga at home & do several a week depending. I bought Hip Helpers even when I was told it would be for more flexible people & I can do it to my limitations & keep improving. I usually don't do the whole 1 hour practice but it is chaptered & I do what sections I want. Also in the extended practice it is clearly marked by the poses. I found what works best for me is combining Jill & other stretch workouts (Lastics, KV & some other yoga workouts I like). I started my journey into almost daily stretching this way about 2 years & I could not sit crossed legs my hips were so tight. I have seen improvements in flexibility but what I have seen more besides my love & need to do it almost daily but I am no longer popping Motrin & my aches & pains are almost nil. Jill & other instructors warn & inform not to go into a position your body can't. You need to listen to your body & proceed with MODIFICATIONS! I NEED to do that a lot. I also tried the on demand for hips & it is about 16" instruction & shows how to roll the IT band. I think train as you treat shows more & different ways. Also lower body quick fix has rolling in it too. I Jill & actually did a yoga at home, 5 " of core workout & on demand shoulder & hips. I glad you have so many responses & more come. You could also e mail Jill. I know a girl here at VF that received help from her this way!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hip, hip helpers, jill miller, sacroiliac joint, si joint