Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-10, 09:27 PM  
Anne29

I'm doing Level 3 Month 3 right now, and the results have been pretty immediate for me too. Month 1 was good for my core and inner/outer thighs, but I also think it may have saved me from a shoulder injury. She does this plank move where you try to engage your serratus. I didn't even know what the serratus was, but it made all the difference in helping to stabilize my scapula. I had noticed that my shoulder blades were sticking when they shouldn't be, and that move took care of the problem--pretty much in the first week.

Month 2 has this crawl-type move that was hard for me to execute at first, but over the month I got better at it. It seemed to help me get different parts of my body talking to each other. She says it's good preparation for explosive moves like handstands and I've noticed an improvement there already. There are also some really nice hamstring openers in Month 2.

Month 3 has quite a few balance poses--you do a couple different variations of half moon, warrior 3 and then reverse half moon. It's tough at the end, but I'm really liking the balance challenge and so far it's been good for opening my hips.

The way the program seems to work for me is that there are one or two moves that make a difference right away, and then as I continue through the month I notice different, more subtle changes.

I seem to find more to appreciate, too, the longer I keep at it. I had no idea that I needed to work on my serratus or that I needed to do crawling-type moves to improve my fitness. Jill has some expertise, that's for sure!

eta: I try to do the long practice 3 X a week, but don't always manage that. I keep meaning to rotate in the previous levels, but that hasn't happened yet either. I use PAS, QuickFix and the Tension Tune Down ball series here and there too, but not in any well-thought-out way--just to work out the kinks sometimes.
Anne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 09:43 PM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post

Kitty, oh, how interesting to play the different levels off of each other. I had been a tiny bit nervous about level 3, but it sounds like if I can handle 2 I'll be able to handle 3. Level 4 is the one I'm worried about...
For me, I was coming out of a period with a very structured exercise program and really looking for some variety. I just wrapped up physical therapy for my knee and hip around May. I don't really think I would have stuck with Jill if I used it as a progression. I think I would have been really bored. I have really, really enjoyed combining the levels. I don't think Level 3 is that much more difficult than Level 2. The standing poses in Month 3 of Level 3 are probably more challenging than anything I've done in Level 2 so far, but still very doable for me. I've been doing yoga for a little over a year but exercising a lot longer than that.

As Sophie said, I always preview the month before I try it. Interesting comment on the pigeon as I thought that was one pose where Jill's instructions were very poor. I am very tight in my hips, but by using other yoga DVDs know not to keep my front leg parallel to the front of the mat despite Jill's instructions and know how to balance my weight.

I'm pretty comfortable making adjustments to poses if they don't feel right for me.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 10:30 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
As Sophie said, I always preview the month before I try it. Interesting comment on the pigeon as I thought that was one pose where Jill's instructions were very poor. I am very tight in my hips, but by using other yoga DVDs know not to keep my front leg parallel to the front of the mat despite Jill's instructions and know how to balance my weight.
I agree - others have commented on this particular pose before and it seems a strange oversight in a program that is otherwise quite well designed to be rehabilitative. If one hasn't learned how to adjust this pose (from classes or other DVD's) this will seem like a real obstacle.

That said, even modified pigeon is a no-go for my knee in its present state - but I agree overall that the standing poses in 3 (and many of the other poses) are not necessarily more difficult than those in 2. Frex in level 2 month 1, she's already doing revolved half-moon (!). But not for very long - it's as if she's just introducing it to get you used to it, before putting you in it more deeply and for longer.

Kitty, glad to hear these are working for you post-therapy. I've actually taken a break from them in the last two weeks to focus on my physio-prescribed exercises - though in fact, many of those rehab exercises are Jill-like, too.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 11:29 AM  
KathAL79

Thanks for all of the discussion. I'm finding this very informative, especially since I've really slacked off on taking full advantage of all of the supporting resources (the teleconferences, the forum) on Jill's site.
And thanks for raising the issue of Jill's instruction on the pigeon. I think she includes that in one of the PAS practices (they're running together right now), and without really thinking about it I didn't follow her cues on positioning the one leg.
Adapting things to my own needs has become second nature that I don't have an issue with that. This program has challenged me to try some poses or at least full variations thereof that I would have shied away from before, like revolved half moon!

Sophie, I'm also on level 2 but receiving level 3. I haven't previewed that far ahead, but I'll make an effort to do so now. I definitely will preview all of level 3 before I decide whether or not to suspect my subscription before I start getting level 4.

Anne, I'm throwing in PAS, Qf, and the TTD balls, too. In fact, I'm finding it hard to do non-Jill practices. I'm definitely not sick of Jill; if anything, I appreciate her stuff even more.

Kitty, I'm the opposite: I'm sticking with this better as a progression. But then I'm looking for structure right now. I definitely see why you are doing it the way you are. I'll keep that in mind for later, once I've gotten through at least level 2 and maybe 3 and want a different way to work these in.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 11:34 AM  
naturallove

I am supposed to be taking a class with Jill tonight and will report back on any tips she might have for those of us doing the YTU practices!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 08:17 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

Anyone really experience good lower back/hip/SI joint benefits (both pain relief and functional improvement) from Yoga at Home? Those are my weak areas. I did the assessment and was placed in Level 1 due to my aches and pains!

Also, if I buy all of Level 1 in the Platinum package, does that mean my next monthly DVDs will be the Level 2 DVDs?

Anyone also know of any sales? These are pricey!

Take care,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 08:34 AM  
Rhonda

I took the plunge and bought them. they had me starting at level 2 so I got the platinum package. My monthly ones start at level 3.

Donna - my guess is your monthly ones would start at level 2.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 08:40 AM  
donnamp

Thanks, Rhonda. I'm tempted, may get this as a b'day present for myself.

Oh - can one cancel at any time after receiving the complete first level or are you basically tied in to getting all levels after your "base" level?

Thanks!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 08:54 AM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

Anyone really experience good lower back/hip/SI joint benefits (both pain relief and functional improvement) from Yoga at Home? Those are my weak areas. I did the assessment and was placed in Level 1 due to my aches and pains!

Also, if I buy all of Level 1 in the Platinum package, does that mean my next monthly DVDs will be the Level 2 DVDs?

Anyone also know of any sales? These are pricey!

Take care,

Donna
Hi Donna. I have hip dysplasia and I think Jill's DVDs are very helpful for strength as well as helping to open the hip area. My right hip can be very tight and I have ongoing pain in my hip although it is much better than it was a year ago. I also have a posterior innonomates rotation (SIJ rotation) on my left and while it was mostly stable already by the time I started Jill's work, I think her DVDs are helpful for lower back as well.

Your first DVD in the subscription would be Level 2. You can cancel at any time. I actually requested they send me all of Level 2 at once after previewing Level 1 for about 3 weeks. So, they sent me all of Level 2 and since I contacted them before the first subscription DVD shipped, Level 3 became my subscription.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 09:06 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
yeah, that's what I'm doing them for (among other things). But as I mentioned above, it's hard to separate the effects of YTU from other stuff - I had been doing her other material (Quick Fix, tuneup balls) previously.

Jill did say that she designed the program for injured people, among others.

The only caution I would give is that occasionally you do stumble upon a ***? version of a pose like pigeon described above, that requires modifications she doesn't show. That would be my one gripe about these.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jill miller, sacroiliac joint, si joint, yoga at home program, yoga tune up at home