Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-07, 10:25 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

FitnessFix DVDs are awesome

Hi -

I've never been one to be a fanatic of just one set of exercise DVDs but I really have to sing the praises of these FitnessFix DVDs.

I posted this yesterday in an older thread and I'll be posting it in the review section too.

Quote:
I ordered all three of these at the beginning of June and received them a few weeks ago. It's been a hectic summer so I haven't spent a lot of time with them. I've previewed most of each disk. It's been hard to get to it all because there's a lot of stuff on each one - a balance/warm-up, an upper body, a lower body, a core, a full-body 'fix', a plyo section on the advanced disk, and three sections that are the same on all three disks (upper flexibility, lower flexibility, foam roller massage).

Today, based on this post and recent preview, I thought I'd try out the Advanced Balance/Warmup and the Advanced Fix. It was tough! After 20 minutes, I had really started to sweat.

Anyway I really like these but not everyone will.

The pros
fitness equipment - They use all the fitness equipment I've got (bands, stability ball, balance disk, foam roller, free weights)
balance elements - I love balance elements in workouts and these workouts have tons of balance work
no music - Before I ordered, I thought I wouldn't like this but I love it. It allows me to concentrate on the exercise and go at my own pace. I can hear the instructions too (yay!)
good scenery - Love the outdoor scenery!
great pace - The workout doesn't move too fast. There's time to set up. Plus she does enough reps so that you feel the work.
informative - Denise is an exercise physiologist and she really knows her stuff.
smaller sections - I like the 30-40 minute sections. These are very versatile.
tough but not throw-up-in-a-bucket difficult - 'nuf said.
modifiers - There are enough modifications shown.

The cons
no cardio sections - Except for the plyo section in the advanced workout.
no choreography - If you're a choreo hound, these aren't for you

To me the Fitness Fix DVDs are the closest I'm going to get to having a personal trainer. I like the pace, the instruction, everything about them. I don't think that they are for everybody but they are very well done and I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.

I hope this helps and if you have more specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Nat
The other thing I should add is the DVD offers a tremendous VARIETY of exercises. I just did the lower body fix from the Intermediate DVD and got a great lower body workout in just a half hour and no weights necessary either - you just need a stability ball.

I'm really excited to use these more and more often in my exercise routine. They're making me love working out all over again.

I predict that the biggest complaint will be lack of choreography or music but to me it is a perk to have no music. I can go at my own pace instead of on the beat. Also, you can hear the instruction so much better without music. The plyo section on the advanced DVD will probably annoy some since she asks you to pause the DVD for 2min intervals in order to recover.

Also if you're only interested in getting one DVD then I say go for the intermediate one. She shows ways of modifying the exercises down or up depending on ability.

You can get the DVDs at their website fitnessfix.ca like I did or at Amazon.com (which I wish I had done because it's a little bit cheaper there.)
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 10:49 AM  
lisa122

Thanks for the review. I am hoping to acquire these in the next couple of weeks.

Lisa
lisa122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 11:33 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I wholeheartedly agree, Nat!

I think I'll be using these for a long time to come (and they are made for that, what with the modifications and equipment options). I have all three, and even though I consider myself mostly an advanced exerciser(intermediate in some things), I've so far just done some of the 'beginner' workouts, to get a feel for the levels, and find that with the modifications, they suit me just fine. (Frankly, I can't see a 'beginner' doing some of those balance disc moves!).

I also thought the no-music aspect of it would be annoying, but I actually like is as well. It might have been more annoying if the workout were filmed in a studio, but I think it works great for the outdoor location.

And now, I have a use for my balance discs, aside from as a computer chair (with my laptop on my Fanny Lifter)! (And I'm eyeing one of those X-whatchamacallit tube things she uses in the Advanced workouts).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 11:46 AM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I've so far just done some of the 'beginner' workouts, to get a feel for the levels, and find that with the modifications, they suit me just fine. (Frankly, I can't see a 'beginner' doing some of those balance disc moves!).
Okay, now I am scared! I o nly ordered the Advanced one!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 12:32 PM  
Daphne M

Adrien - I am with you in fear! I ordered the advanced ("Sport Conditioning") one too. I know there are quite a few of the advanced moves that will be beyond me, but in the video previews, there are two exercisers who demonstrate different levels of the move, so I think (hope) it will be OK. I would have ordered the Intermediate level workout, but the advanced one was available for quicker shipping on Amazon and at a great price. It will give me something to work up to, I guess!

I'm excited about the workout. I've been injured a lot this year (love of endurance sports + bad biomechanics = disaster) and have spent a lot of time in pilates class and physical therapy working on the same kinds of exercises she demonstrates in the video. I have measurably improved my balance and my core strength, and I hope this will be a good continuation of my physical therapy.

By the way, I am completely obsessed with the kneeling-on-the-ball-while-lifting-weights move that was in the video preview. I tried it at home without weights and was able to get up on my knees on the ball for about 3 seconds. Even then, I was gyrating around like I was using an invisible hula hoop. I have to be sure to never let my husband catch me doing this. He would videotape it for sure and then laugh very hard while watching it over and over again.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 12:42 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M
By the way, I am completely obsessed with the kneeling-on-the-ball-while-lifting-weights move that was in the video preview. I tried it at home without weights and was able to get up on my knees on the ball for about 3 seconds. Even then, I was gyrating around like I was using an invisible hula hoop. I have to be sure to never let my husband catch me doing this. He would videotape it for sure and then laugh very hard while watching it over and over again.
I have posted this in other threads, but I plan to start balancing on the bosu, and slowly work my way up to the ball. I tried to balance on the ball, and couldn't EVEN last 3 seconds!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 01:08 PM  
berry99

I haven't heard of these before, but they sound very interesting. Looks like I have something else to add to my never-ending list of DVDs to buy .
Old 07-09-07, 01:28 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

hi, just wanted to add that I have the sports conditioning dvd (advanced). As someone already mentioned, the background exercisers show modifications and I found it easy to modify (I'm probably high intermediate/low advanced in most areas). I enjoyed this dvd because I found it challenging but not totally frustrating. Also, I'm so happy to have finally found a functional fitness type workout with splits (upper/lower/core). I didn't notice the lack of music because I was so busy and challenged. Enjoy!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 01:41 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M
Too funny!

This weekend, I would sneak in attempts at kneeling on the ball. I was trying this when no one was around because first, I didn't want to fall on my face in front of anyone and second, I didn't want the kids trying it. But I'm now to the point where I can kneel and do the arm circles. But I can NOT kneel and lift one leg AND THEN one arm . That's going to take a while (in the meantime, thank goodness for the modifications.)
Old 07-09-07, 01:42 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I wholeheartedly agree, Nat!

I think I'll be using these for a long time to come (and they are made for that, what with the modifications and equipment options). I have all three, and even though I consider myself mostly an advanced exerciser(intermediate in some things), I've so far just done some of the 'beginner' workouts, to get a feel for the levels, and find that with the modifications, they suit me just fine. (Frankly, I can't see a 'beginner' doing some of those balance disc moves!).

I also thought the no-music aspect of it would be annoying, but I actually like is as well. It might have been more annoying if the workout were filmed in a studio, but I think it works great for the outdoor location.

And now, I have a use for my balance discs, aside from as a computer chair (with my laptop on my Fanny Lifter)! (And I'm eyeing one of those X-whatchamacallit tube things she uses in the Advanced workouts).
Kathryn - I have to thank you for telling me about these DVDs. Your post about the foam roller section was what got me looking into them in the first place.

Thank you! Thank you!

Nat

Tags
denise beatty, fitness fix, functional fitness, sacroiliac joint, si joint