Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-20, 10:28 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Now I'm starting the Mitford series. Never read them before, wanted something cozy and comfortable and this was recommended.
I love the Mitford series!!!
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 05:50 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I have horrible insomnia. So when I can't sleep in the middle of the night, it helps me to listen to an audiobook using ear buds on my iPad until I can fall back to sleep. I usually stream audiobooks from the public library.

Right now I'm listening to All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot. James Herriot is a veterinarian living in a rural region of northern England. Each chapter is a complete story about how he does his best to mend, treat, and heal pets and livestock as he interacts with the animal's owners. The stories are amusing and enjoyable. I've listened to 7 of Herriot's audiobooks so far and they are just wonderful (especially nice for insomniacs!).
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 09:27 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Right now I'm listening to All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot. James Herriot is a veterinarian living in a rural region of northern England.
This is on DDs reading list for next year.
When my girls were little, they were animal-crazy, and I read them the James Herriot Treasury for Children. They loved it.
------------

I've finished the first two Mitford books. So far, I like them (though sometimes I have trouble remembering who's who). I want to live in Mitford.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 10:20 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Right now I'm listening to All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot. James Herriot is a veterinarian living in a rural region of northern England. Each chapter is a complete story about how he does his best to mend, treat, and heal pets and livestock as he interacts with the animal's owners. The stories are amusing and enjoyable. I've listened to 7 of Herriot's audiobooks so far and they are just wonderful (especially nice for insomniacs!).
I remember reading this when I was young -- I loved it! I should revisit it!
Old 05-13-20, 11:31 PM  
Sand

I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks. The other day I finished The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth. It started off slow, but after it started picking up, I ended up really liking it.

Yesterday, I finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. Tom Hanks is the narrator of this one, which was good! I wasn't a big fan of this book, I kept expecting it to get better and it never did.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 05:04 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand View Post
I

Yesterday, I finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. Tom Hanks is the narrator of this one, which was good! I wasn't a big fan of this book, I kept expecting it to get better and it never did.
I had high expectations for The Dutch House because so many people liked it, but thought it was just ok. I'm glad I read it, but didn't love it.

I just finished Maggie-Now, by the author of A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, and like it a lot. I just started A Separate Peace. It's not a book I would normally choose, but I found it in the house and I'm out of library books!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 06:22 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I had high expectations for The Dutch House because so many people liked it, but thought it was just ok. I'm glad I read it, but didn't love it.

I just finished Maggie-Now, by the author of A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, and like it a lot. I just started A Separate Peace. It's not a book I would normally choose, but I found it in the house and I'm out of library books!

Erica
Was "Maggie-Now" good? "A Tree Grows..." is one of my all-time favorites.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 06:53 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Was "Maggie-Now" good? "A Tree Grows..." is one of my all-time favorites.
Yes, I thought it was very good. Not as good as "A Tree Grows..." (IMO), but good. Now I want to read more of her books.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 07:08 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I love the James Herriot books! I need to revisit them sometime. And I absolutely loved the Mitford books! Both great ideas for gentle reading.

On the other hand, I'm reading The End of October - a coronavirus pandemic tale published in 2019. So far, it feels like I'm reading the headlines from the newspapers.

I started the newest Maggie Hope book, but put it down about a third of the way into it. I felt like I was reading a version of The Silence of the Lambs. Ugh! No, just not reading that.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 07:17 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
On the other hand, I'm reading The End of October - a coronavirus pandemic tale published in 2019. So far, it feels like I'm reading the headlines from the newspapers.
Carol
Thanks Carol, I'm putting that one on my list! I'm reading the one Laura recommended "As Bright as Heaven"
and so far it's very good too!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading