Old 04-24-20, 10:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks Alison. Rolling eyes! LOL
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 01:22 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

My daughter, who seems to be nearsighted, had an eye exam scheduled for the third week in March. Sure enough, it was cancelled a couple of days before. The office said they were closing entirely on advice from the optometrist association. Her orthodontist also closed until further notice.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 02:09 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oh Sue what a bummer for her orthodontist to close down. Extending time to the ordeal.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 02:38 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am on my last pair of contact lenses (I had two left lenses rip in the past year-ugh!) and yesterday called my eye doctor's office at Pearle Vision. I found out they have reduced hours. They are closed Wednesdays, and only open 10 am to 2 pm the every other day (closed Sundays).

I called back today and the person there told me they are not allowed to do eye exams. They are considered non essential. He said he would check my records and call back. I was told that I could call back on Saturday (one year and one day after my last contact lens order because of our insurance) and he could order my contact lenses and have them shipped to my house. My prescription has not changed in four years, so I'm okay with doing that.

I don't know what happens if you have an eye emergency. I was told the doctors have not been in the store since the shelter in place started in NJ, and he is basically there to extend eye prescriptions by six months and order contact lenses.

I wanted to post in case anyone was due for an eye exam. It may differ by state, but that is what is going on in New Jersey.
My husband has a Costco optometry practice. Costco closed their optical and strongly encouraged (told him he must close) my husband to close as well.

He will come in for an emergency and has. He also answers phone messages every day. Most calls are for people who need more contacts. He has told optical to extend all scripts by 90 days.

So far it has worked out.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 09:11 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I think several of the online glasses places are still functioning. glassesusa.com has a note that you can scan your current glasses and refill the Rx. (I honestly don't know how that works, and I have not used them). I have used Warby Parker, and I like them very much. Good luck!

Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 09:51 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Hello Bee—I know a lot of people now are doing telemedicine appointments but I felt that I needed to see my surgeon. I’m not progressing the way I expected and my physical therapy, acupuncture and massage therapy came to a screeching halt mid March and now I’m out here on my own trying to get this shoulder to move. I want to get this injury behind me so I can get on with my life and I’m afraid if I wait for everything to be safe it may be too late.

So, taking my age (56 years old) and health (no underlying conditions) into consideration, I took a slight risk to go to my appointment.
Oh, gosh! Yes, going in person sounds like the right thing in your case! I have to admit that I did not want to go in for an appointment, but I was somewhat skeptical about a phone call appointment, but.... the doctor seemed very thorough! He even called me back to stress a point for me. I was impressed. Good luck with your shoulder!! Do you have any Classical Stretch? It seems like she's had success with frozen shoulder problems. I hope you feel better soon!!
Old 04-25-20, 09:31 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
I think several of the online glasses places are still functioning. glassesusa.com has a note that you can scan your current glasses and refill the Rx. (I honestly don't know how that works, and I have not used them). I have used Warby Parker, and I like them very much. Good luck!

Lori
I was curious so I went to the glassesusa site and it says the scanner option does not work for progressive or bifocal prescriptions, so not something I can use, but could be useful for others. I'm going to try Warby Parker. One problem I always have with ordering online is the pupillary distance measurement. I don't have it and I tried measuring it myself once and the glasses were messed up.
Old 04-25-20, 10:03 AM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I was curious so I went to the glassesusa site and it says the scanner option does not work for progressive or bifocal prescriptions, so not something I can use, but could be useful for others. I'm going to try Warby Parker. One problem I always have with ordering online is the pupillary distance measurement. I don't have it and I tried measuring it myself once and the glasses were messed up.
The other problem with ordering progressives online is that you don't have your optical center. This is a measurement that can only be done with the exact frames on your face. If it is wrong, the glasses will be hard to use. I ordered 2 pair of progressives online. One was OK and the other was unusable. I won't bother doing it again. If I want a pair of cheapish progressives, I will go to Costco. The lenses aren't quite as nice as what I get from my doctor, but they are less than half the price so I am OK with it.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 10:59 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
The other problem with ordering progressives online is that you don't have your optical center. This is a measurement that can only be done with the exact frames on your face. If it is wrong, the glasses will be hard to use. I ordered 2 pair of progressives online. One was OK and the other was unusable. I won't bother doing it again. If I want a pair of cheapish progressives, I will go to Costco. The lenses aren't quite as nice as what I get from my doctor, but they are less than half the price so I am OK with it.
I do the same thing normally. Costco and Sam's are so much cheaper for glasses, especially progressives. But right now, both optical centers are closed so I was looking for another option. My current glasses are ok for now so I can get by another month or two, or however long this lasts.
Old 04-25-20, 12:21 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

My DH has a couple of eye problems that the university has been treating for a couple of years. They told us back in February they are screening patients and if you don't meet certain criteria, they will not continue with treatment. He meets the criteria since we are trying to prevent blindness. They have seen him a couple of times in person but they are clearly not doing any general eye exams. When he goes to an appointment we are the only people in the office and are screened each visit. (I am with him because he is handicapped and cannot transfer unassisted and they aren't really trained with handicap assistance.) We have actually cancelled 3 appts just because my DH (who is at risk) was worried and felt like it was too big of a risk OR it looked like we were going to drive 45 miles to get there and have them look at him for 2 minutes and say, yep, he has eyes. (Yes, sometimes it seems like that!)

At some point there has to be some return to some basic health care. There has to be - especially if this is going to run 12-18 months or longer.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19