Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-14, 08:28 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I think obsessing over getting the best deal is totally understandable considering how pricey barre classes are! I honestly don't know how people afford most of the memberships. I got our new Barre3 founding membership deal for $99/month, and I'm sure I won't be able to keep it for long. I just didn't want to miss out considering the regular membership is $170/month. I think it's really expensive considering it's just one specific type of class.
Old 10-07-14, 08:30 PM  
Darisa

That decision would have killed me! I think you made the right choice. I've only gone to one TBM class and it was great. I would love to go to a Barre3 class. Boston is not too far from me (RI) so the trip is doable as a day trip but my schedule (kids) is hectic now that swimming started. I'm going to try and go during Christmas break.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 12:28 AM  
rad

This is a funny thread. I wonder what it is about Barre classes that promote various obsessions, but they do. I can relate to everything that was said in this thread and there is just too much to quote. But here is one quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I am a little concerned I'll get bored at TBM, but I can quit anytime, with 30-day notice.
You made the right decision because you can quit at any time. And better or comparable or similar deals to the ones you alluded to will come and go again and agin.

That said, there is absolutely no way to know how you will experience Barre3 until you take classes there. So you should as soon as they open. But to have all of these barre options in your backyard for when you do want to change it up is a win-win for barre fanatics.

Enjoy all the barre classes you can manage and post your observations and progress.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 04:13 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I think obsessing over getting the best deal is totally understandable considering how pricey barre classes are! I honestly don't know how people afford most of the memberships. I got our new Barre3 founding membership deal for $99/month, and I'm sure I won't be able to keep it for long. I just didn't want to miss out considering the regular membership is $170/month. I think it's really expensive considering it's just one specific type of class.
Yes, I don't understand why they are so expensive. It's not like they are really equipment-focused. You need a room with mirrors and barres, a few light weights, mats and balls. Obviously, it costs to train instructors, pay rent, insurance, etc, but I think it's just that they have a certain cache. Lotte Berk catered to rich women and that's just the demographic barre has chased ever since. At least modern studios are fairly plush. Lotte Berk's original studio was really nasty, according to her daughter! Though I'd rather have a great class in a clean, no-frills studio for less money.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 04:16 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darisa View Post
That decision would have killed me! I think you made the right choice. I've only gone to one TBM class and it was great. I would love to go to a Barre3 class. Boston is not too far from me (RI) so the trip is doable as a day trip but my schedule (kids) is hectic now that swimming started. I'm going to try and go during Christmas break.
Oh Darisa, that's great! I might be away at Christmas but let me know if you come and maybe I'll take a class with you! Also, I have guest passes for Bar Method if you want to do a barre crawl.
Old 10-08-14, 10:50 AM  
BigBadBetty

I don't know where you are located, but I thought of you when I saw this article on Class Pass. It sounds pretty neat, but it is only available in big cities. You pay $99/mo and can go to classes at different gyms/studios.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/expres...leanfit&wpmm=1
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 11:03 AM  
Darisa

I would love to do a barre crawl! I'll let you know so we can plan.
Quote:
Oh Darisa, that's great! I might be away at Christmas but let me know if you come and maybe I'll take a class with you! Also, I have guest passes for Bar Method if you want to do a barre crawl.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 12:42 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I don't understand why they are so expensive. It's not like they are really equipment-focused. You need a room with mirrors and barres, a few light weights, mats and balls. Obviously, it costs to train instructors, pay rent, insurance, etc, but I think it's just that they have a certain cache. Lotte Berk catered to rich women and that's just the demographic barre has chased ever since. At least modern studios are fairly plush. Lotte Berk's original studio was really nasty, according to her daughter! Though I'd rather have a great class in a clean, no-frills studio for less money.
Yeah...I had no idea these were the prices that barre studio memberships were going for. I guess I haven't looked in a few years, but back when I took classes at Barre3, that $99/month was the standard rate...no commitment. But this was when the only had studios in Portland (I think Sadie had just sold her first franchise in another place.) I guess now that barre is a big trend and studios like TBM and Barre3 got in on the leading edge, the price has really been driven up.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 12:51 PM  
cherimac

Everything I see these days is $120-150 a month. People get gym memberships for much less. But, they get a lot more clients at a gym so I think that's part of the reason.
Old 10-08-14, 04:08 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
I don't know where you are located, but I thought of you when I saw this article on Class Pass. It sounds pretty neat, but it is only available in big cities. You pay $99/mo and can go to classes at different gyms/studios.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/expres...leanfit&wpmm=1
Yes, I've heard of ClassPass. I live in Boston and it just came here. I toyed with the idea of trying it, but most of the classes were downtown and I live in the burbs. The near burbs, but still, schlepping downtown to workout just isn't appealing. It's a nice concept, though, if you're really interested in trying a lot of stuff out.