Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-14, 01:29 PM  
kariev34

It was twilight sedation and used so she was super still so they can pinpoint it into the joint perfectly. The injections got her out of the pain cycle she was in. Sometimes the inflammation just won't ease no matter what you do so this was my moms last resort. Luckily it worked. Her pain was really limiting her quality of life and making her depressed. I hope you find something that helps you.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 01:55 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I'm glad the shot helped your mom. I had 10 epidural injections so I thought this would be the same in a different place. Dh tells me I'm depressed too. I go to the chiropractor every few weeks and I went to the medical doc this week. I'll walk the dog when he can go with me. He's an orthopedic mess, too. If and when I feel the shot is the only way I'll get one. In my case, when the joint is painful so are my knees, ankles, feet, and shoulder. A shot isn't going to help that. Finding the right exercises and stretches will. Or I live in a dream world.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 02:01 PM  
horsemom2

The way everything is connected, have you tried something like the Walkfit Platinum inserts? I used to get a deep butt pain on my right side whenever I walked or stood till I inserted these into my shoes.

ETA:
this is the page for my particular size but I know I saw them even cheaper almost a year ago and with a new cushioned heel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 02:16 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I have custom orthotics from the podiatrist. When the si joint is where it belongs nothing hurts. When the si goes out it all goes out. I'll take a look at the Walkfit Platinums. Thanks. Funny that I used to put money into feet stuff when plantar fasciitis was so bad. I fixed that with a laser. Then knee stuff. Then hip stuff, but that's another one. It needs a replacement but it only hurts when the si is out. Now back stuff.
Old 06-27-14, 03:00 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
Relaxation is key when doing either the Egoscue or SacroWedgy.
Also patience in letting gravity do its thing. <snip>
I think this is key for many things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H View Post
<snip>
I also ordered YFSR one more time. LOL
Haha...sorry for enabling but I hope you get what you need from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
<snip>
I sure hope things work out well for you. Have you tried restorative yoga. Sometimes relaxing into a supported pose can help a bit. For me being gentle and patient with my body is the best thing I can do for it. Nurturing it with gentle movements that allow time for it to adjust and stretch.
Yes. This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H View Post
I'm glad the shot helped your mom. I had 10 epidural injections so I thought this would be the same in a different place. Dh tells me I'm depressed too. I go to the chiropractor every few weeks and I went to the medical doc this week. I'll walk the dog when he can go with me. He's an orthopedic mess, too. If and when I feel the shot is the only way I'll get one. In my case, when the joint is painful so are my knees, ankles, feet, and shoulder. A shot isn't going to help that. Finding the right exercises and stretches will. Or I live in a dream world.
I understand this perspective. I do hope you find what you need. I don't have the SI joint problem you have but all my back issues have improved through consistent gentle effort. After hitting 40, I am also being forced to learn patience for relief. My body has been struggling this whole year, and I am finally realizing pushing it through workouts it doesn't want is not the answer. I finally started doing Erich Schiffmann's Backyard Beginner, and doing it gently, and that seems to be the trick. It isn't like before where I got instant bliss, but when I do of consistently, I see consistent improvement in my ability to move, as well as my ability to sit around.

One more thing...you mentioned upthread that Pilate's has given you relief...have you thought about going back to that even if you are bored with it?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 03:36 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I'd never give up Pilates. I'm on the reformer everyday but should spend a lot more time on mat. Pilates has fixed so much in my spine I'd never stop doing it completely. I've been working on helping my back for 15 yrs at least. If I could figure out this si thing I'd be almost normal. I'll never be normal but I took the pressure off the nerves and that's what counts on most days.

A lot of people swear by yoga but it's never helped my back. A gentle practice without twists feels good but that's about it. I've crawled to the reformer and gotten off it and went shopping or something.

I hope you and I and everyone else here can find some relief to lead a productive life. Thanks a lot for your kind words. If YFSR pulls me out again I'll be coming to visit you.

Tags
james knight, sacroiliac joint, si joint, somatic yoga