Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-13, 03:34 PM  
metalbarbie

FAIL! This is why I cannot finish rotations.

So I started CLX last fall and because Hurricane Sandy ruined my house I shelved it until things return to normal..understandable right?

So I start CLX again, March 1st. Two weeks in, my body was in so much DOMS (making incredible progress!) and then the period cramps went from 0-60 over several days. My body couldn't handle it and and my mind either. So now I missed several workouts. These cramps were not typical but extreme and went on for several days. (still going on). This happens several times a year.

Can someone talk me through this? Should I wait another week to continue? Why does this always happen? I can never stick to it.
Old 03-18-13, 03:49 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Why not pick it right back up? Rotations aren't written in stone, and it's not like you'll fail to get results if you miss a week's worth of workouts.

If OTOH these are a bit too intense or advanced for you (thinking of your heavy DOMS) you might be unconsciously seeking ways to sabotage your continuation cause your body wants a rest. You could always do fewer workouts per week, or lift lighter, or both. You'll still get there in the end.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 03:51 PM  
PrairieGem

Well, first: you should see your GYN for Issue #2. Anything not typical that happens several times a year merits getting checked out (and help, if it's available!!).

Second, just get back on the horse when you can. I was reading an interview with Dr. Oz this morning, and he says to think of setbacks like a Reset button. Just hit it, and start over.

One thing I have to constantly remind myself of... there's no deadline for fitness. It's ongoing, and we have to keep at it regularly anyway, so who cares if your rotation takes 12 weeks instead of 9 or whatever? If you're enjoying the workouts, toss them back in when your body is ready. In the meantime, do what you need to take care of your health!

(And speaking as someone who has BTDT more times than she can count, you want to get back on track sooner rather than later, before you undo the gains you've made and slip even farther behind.)

Good luck!!
Old 03-18-13, 03:55 PM  
metalbarbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
, so who cares if your rotation takes 12 weeks instead of 9 or whatever?
But wah!!!!...the infomercials say 12 weeks. Yes I sound like a big baby. I don't know understand why I can't stick with it. Yes I can reset..but what is the point. I lose momentum. I'm having a pity party I know
Old 03-18-13, 04:49 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbarbie View Post
But wah!!!!...the infomercials say 12 weeks. Yes I sound like a big baby. I don't know understand why I can't stick with it. Yes I can reset..but what is the point. I lose momentum. I'm having a pity party I know
Sorry you are having these cramps and that you are feeling down about your rotation. I find the key to successfully completing a rotation is to make the rotation work for YOU instead of forcing your body and mind to conform to a rotation that was created for some imaginary consumer. It's easy to fall into an all-or-nothing mentality with these systems/informercials and for me that's always counter-productive.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 04:56 PM  
PrairieGem

The infomercials also say you can lose 10 lbs in 5 days, and you know better than to fall into that trap, too.

Maybe you should start a new definition of a rotation? Instead of counting weeks that pass, tally up the workouts you've done! So if the "Official System Plan" says to do XYZ workouts three times a week for six weeks, YOU would instead plan to do X workout 18 times, Y workout 12 times, and Z workout 6 times. (Or something like that.) And check them off as you do them. Then instead of feeling like you've failed because their schedule was not designed for your life, you'll have a success every single time you finish a DVD.

Or make your "rotation" about how many reps you can do or how much you're lifting or making it through an entire leg on Tonique without a break, or doing all those#@^! mountain climber reps, or...

You get it. Just something that doesn't tie you to an arbitrary schedule. Make it all about what you CAN do.

I'll tell you something--men don't do this. My DH has been doing the Couch to 5K plan since November. He's still at it, even on weeks he only gets one run in. He just picks it back up where he left off, totally unconcerned about whether he's "failing" because he hasn't been 100% faithful to the plan. I might look at the calendar and complain that I only got two workouts in, where he'll look at it and go, "Hey! I got two workouts in! Good for me!" There's something to be said for that!
Old 03-18-13, 05:28 PM  
patriots

Well Said PrairieGem!! Well Said!! I agree with the new definition of a rotation....

Heck when I started TapOut XT, we discovered that the calendar really was NOT a 90 day rotation and everyone in my FB challenge page freaked out!! So most of us just picked out 8 of our favorite workouts to finish the rotation with. There are no set rule

There were always people who would jump in and then a week later "re-start". If you always re-start... you will never get to the end of a rotation!! If it is just a short time, just get back in where you left off... if it has been a month, then re-start!!
patriots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 05:36 PM  
altinker

I was going to do the Turbo Fire challenge, but once I started it, I found it was too frenetic for me. I like it but not at night, and it is a little beyond my current fitness level. I do better with stuff like barre and bellyfit. So, I have tabled it until I'm in better shape. But, even if I do start it, I'm not gong to do it every single day. I'd rather do it 2 or 3 times a week and alternate with a strength training workout. Doing one thing for 60 or 90 days straight doesn't really work for me.

I tell myself that I have to try everything at least once. But then I try to power through things that are too hard, and I end up hurting myself (like with Booty Barre). And, Dancer's Body is still difficult -- I can do it, but I just do the best I can.

Don't beat yourself up because you didn't do it everyday with no breaks. I strive to constantly improve and to just do my best. Sometimes I can't do better than I did yesterday or last week, so I just do what I can. Next time or week or month will be better. .
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 07:59 PM  
gigi

Yes, you can always start right back where you left off. I've followed rotations before so that it fits my life and schedule. So, the only thing I do is follow the workouts in the same order they are in the rotation. You could do this if for example you workout 4 days a week with 3 rest days but the rotation is a 6 day a week rotation, just keep the order and do them on your workout days. Same with unscheduled days of no workouts. Just pick the rotation back up where you left off. Isn't that one of the perks of working out at home? Getting fitness in to meet YOUR needs and YOUR schedule?

And I agree, you may want to get the cramps checked out...poor you. 'Hope you are feeling better!
Old 03-18-13, 09:15 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

If you can't finish a rotation and that makes you feel bad why don't you give up rotations? There's nothing proven that rotations are at all better than simply getting up and doing what you feel like that day exercise wise. It's all good and it's all about empowerment and feeling good about yourself and what you have accomplished. You might try to quit holding yourself to a meaningless standard. Do what make YOU happy, forget the crazy stuff.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rotations