Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-20, 12:24 PM  
Fitstick

I continue to workout first thing in the morning. The change is that I am not as rushed because I don’t have to worry about a commute.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 04:28 PM  
Hsim

Working from home

I'm trying to maintain all my morning routines so I'm getting up at 6 AM for my usual walks/runs and dog walks before work.
Working from home has been a little stressful and busy as the company owner cannot bear the thought of any employee having any sort of downtime during the day. We are constantly reminded by e-mail and video that we are being monitored to make sure we put in a full day of work. We were told that anyone not working a full day will be docked. I also work in accounting so I'm always up against deadlines to get my closing done by such and such date. So far so good but April is a quarter end so it's even busier than normal. I can't wait until this shelter in place thing is over! Good thing we are stocked upon wine.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 08:25 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I'm trying to maintain all my morning routines so I'm getting up at 6 AM for my usual walks/runs and dog walks before work.
Working from home has been a little stressful and busy as the company owner cannot bear the thought of any employee having any sort of downtime during the day. We are constantly reminded by e-mail and video that we are being monitored to make sure we put in a full day of work. We were told that anyone not working a full day will be docked. I also work in accounting so I'm always up against deadlines to get my closing done by such and such date. So far so good but April is a quarter end so it's even busier than normal. I can't wait until this shelter in place thing is over! Good thing we are stocked upon wine.
I don't understand this mindset at all! We're all adults and if the company doesn't trust their employees to do the right thing, they've hired the wrong people. We all have downtime even in the office, why can't you have a few minutes at home?? For me, the constant reminders of being monitored would only create a negative attitude. As long as your work is complete and done on time, what's the problem?
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 10:29 AM  
clerkin11

I agree annette!
Being treated like you can't be trusted to get your work done is not a good feeling.

Sometimes I've been afraid to leave my computer to go to the bathroom when I work from home in case I miss an IM or a skype call, but I've let that go somewhat.
Our boss even told us on Friday that he encourages us to talk to each other during the day just like we would when we're in the office so that was a relief.
We are, however, expected to be working our regular hours and getting stuff done. Which is fine with me (although I would love a little less work lol).

I've been working from home 3 days a week for several years now, so this transition to 5 days a week has been much easier for me than for the people who were used to being in the office 5 days a week.
I workout at lunch and I've continued with that routine.
I'm also taking advantage of all the places offering free online memberships right now and I already subscribe to Cathe Live and Les Mills ondemand.
I'm so glad I have all the workout equipment so I can just get it set up and be ready to go at lunchtime.

I feel like I should be doing more - like walks before work - and maybe I will when the weather gets better.
Like others have mentioned, I'm getting lots of sleep and it feels great!!
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 02:09 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Additionally - due to where I work and what I do (contracts/purchasing for a local health department) I'm busier than ever in dealing with emergency needs and each day brings a new scenario to address.
Waving -- hello fellow acquisition professional :: Yes, it's been very busy for us as well. We acquire IT services and hardware for the entire VA. Since everyone went to teleworking overnight, it's basically been a zoo for us. Stop work orders, modifications, delays, oh my! I'm sure you're feeling it too. Luckily our office is very much set up to work virtually (it would be embarrassing if we weren't), but management doesn't actually like us to do it. It only took a pandemic for us to be able to telework.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 04:38 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I don't understand this mindset at all! We're all adults and if the company doesn't trust their employees to do the right thing, they've hired the wrong people. We all have downtime even in the office, why can't you have a few minutes at home?? For me, the constant reminders of being monitored would only create a negative attitude. As long as your work is complete and done on time, what's the problem?
I'm in a similar situation. In addition, I have to prepare a log of everything I do hour by hour and send it to two different departments at the end of the day. It ends up I am sitting far more while tele-working than actually at the workplace. At the end of the day, my brain and my eyes are frazzled from sitting in front of a laptop screen for 7.5 hours. I am fortunate not to be furloughed though.
Otherwise, I am sleeping more. And more personal/body care than before.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:32 AM  
donnamp

Bubbles - waves!!!! I'm sure you can appreciate this - our fiscal year end is June 30th, it is going to be chaos this year - But, one day at a time.

As for the workplaces that micromanage - and I work for one to an extent - although it really is dependent on who your manager is and mine isn't that bad - in my mind, treating someone as if they were trustworthy encourages trustworthy behavior - whereas starting off on the footing of assuming you can't trust someone just sets up a relationship mistrust. Another example is managers who account for every minute you are late or every minute your lunch hour goes over - that behavior just encourages those employees to become clock watchers, too and doesn't encourage them to go the extra mile, or put in extra time when it is needed.

It is a shame that culture is so prevalent. I think a lot of it comes down to managers who don't want to deal with the 'problem children' and end up just punishing the 'good kids' too to avoid conflict with a few people who may be taking advantage.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:37 AM  
donnamp

Forgot to add - I have gotten into a fairly good groove w/ my workout schedule.

In the morning, before work I do something - whatever I have the time/energy for. Sometimes a short cardio or strength or a Pilates session or a fusion session.

In the afternoon - around lunch time I do a "spark" of 10-20 min of something to take a break from sitting. I find Pahla B's Hot 100 workouts to be good for this, or Prevention Fit in 10, or Lucy Wyndham Read

After work, before dinner is a dog walk w/ my DD and dogs.

Evening, if I have the inclination is a stretch routine.

I actually really like this and wish I could do this all the time!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:49 AM  
BigBadBetty

I lost my way the first week and half or so. I work in IT so we were so busy transitioning people to be able to work remotely. I just had no energy by the time my long day was over. I also had to set a new work area. We only had one good work from home location in the house. However, now both my boyfriend and I would be working from home. We wanted separate areas.

I used to walk to work. I live about a mile from my work. I know I should just simulate the walk, but the weather hasn't been ideal. What's funny is that when I had to walk to work, I would walk unless it was slippery or really wet. But now that I don't have to get anywhere, I want it to actually be nice before I walk outside. While I have been keeping up with my workouts more or less, my non-workout activity has been much lower. I have been trying to get up and just walk around the perimeter of the yard a few times a day just to get my butt out of the chair.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 08:21 AM  
shoegoddess

What fitness schedule?

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, wfh