Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-28-20, 05:38 PM  
Helen

CLEDA is NOT a slacker!!
Loved the story about you having a new follower!! That's definitely boast-worthy.
Many, many people are walking in circles not knowing what to do and having good/bad days. This situation is so unusual for most of us.
Sorry you've not been sleeping well - do you know why - is it this strangeness?

LILI did a 70min workout! Not a slacker either.
The skipping could have been due to a massive increase in internet usage as well. Ours has been a bit rough the past week - the past couple of days especially as so many at home means many more online.
Missing that rainy-race - yeah, you can do without that, but hope the postponement doesn't mean it ends up being uncomfortably hot - but you get more training time. I'm assuming you're able to run alone outside.

School/Work
No idea what will happen. NAPLAN is cancelled (national testing of Years 5, 7, & 9 done in Term 2). The equivalent of SAT's for seniors is usually in October, but with a hugely interrupted year, people are saying they're a write-off.
This term ends in 2 weeks, then Easter holidays for 2 weeks, then into term 2. Talk of 2nd term being online as well - can only wait until we're told.

At home - the shops that are open have marks on the floor for 1.5m (5ft) distancing, but too many ignore it.
DH installed bidet seats in both toilets, so use of toilet paper is drastically reduced.
Bridget is home for a week - no shifts at work as her club is closed and so is the uni so she thought she may as well come home. We will help with rent if she needs it. Same for Cait, but she's not at home yet. DH wants her home if state borders close so she's in NSW, not Victoria.
Our bank has put our mortgage on freeze for 6 months since we'll likely have to pay the girls' rent & living expenses for a while. My job/wage is safe of course.

Sat-28th-Mar Had a big day!
Les Mills - Body Step 72, 56min
Doing a workout yesterday with the space to myself (buddy on FaceTime) made me realise how much I missed having the room.
30min Skating with Bridget at local school
YouTube - Jessica - Total Body Toned 25 Minute Home Exercise with Dumbbells with buddy
YouTube - PopSugar - Killer 30-Minute Cardio-Boxing and Core Workout with buddy
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 05:28 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Yay ....

So good to see you checking in Helen! Thank you !!!!!

Sounds like your country is taking the same actions/precautions ours is. I do have to say, there is tape on the floor in our stores (our social distancing is 6 ft) and people are abiding by it. And when going down the aisles we are all doing the "Grocery shuffle" as not to be close to one another. Carts are used by employees to distance themselves when talking to customers (have a friend who has a dh who works at Home Depot and that's what they're told to do). So many people don't understand "Personal space". We too, had standardized testing cancelled and last I heard, since we're in the tri state area (NY, NJ, CT) they are talking about putting a travel ban in place.

any facility that has PPE has to register all that they have with the state. (Our dental office included). They had already donated most of it to our local hospital. Hearing of more and more lives that are changed because of this.

I stumbled on my (missing) bottle of Aloe Vera gel, so I can now make my hand sanitizer. I knew I had a bottle somewhere. At home I use soap and water. I do get a chuckle out of all the advertisements now for exercising at home. Like it's something new? hahahahahahahahaha! And so grateful for all my equipment and knowledge.

The not sleeping well is due to the mind racing and worry/concern. I have no doubt about that. I am trying to get back on and stay on my normal schedule. At least that might help in making it more restful. (Hence the reason I'm up at 6 a.m. and doing computer stuff). I limit my news to once a day, tune in or recap the governor's speech and otherwise try to not be immersed in all that's going on. I am no different than anyone else right now and I weep for the healthcare workers, the retail workers, my dh ... (I just wish he would stay home.)

Lili:
So glad you put on the workout clothes and were ready to go. Tricking yourself! I LIKE IT!!! And now you have more time to train. I enjoy a lot of the treadmill workouts on Peloton. Now I have another one to try! So many workouts, so little time.

Ok, enough of that ... you get the idea. On to me, me and all me.

First week of the Power Zone Challenge is COMPLETE. Only 7 more to go! I also completed 2 of the Extra credit rides for my team and will do the third today. I had every intention of doing it yesterday, but the body felt differently. I waited too long to start the Nuun tablets and by then my legs couldn't recoop their electrolytes/energy ... it was like trying to push lead around on the pedals. I started the last workout, realized it would be too difficult (in zones I did NOT want) so I backed out then started another one and after about 10 mins, said, nope... can't finish it. Had I just pushed the last 20 minutes, but I just couldn't. So I backed out and deleted both rides from my history on the bike. I still had a great workout though!!! It is so tough though to do anything other than the rides (Want to do a Les Mills Body Combat.) Maybe today or tomorrow? We'll see. . .

Anyway:

3/28/2020: Power Zone Olivia's 30 minute ride (this completed core rides and extra credit ride). then on to Matt Wilper's 30 minute Power zone endurance ride followed by Denis Morton's 45 minute endurance Power Zone ride. + 3 stretches afterwards. (I was going to do Christine's ... making it a "Tour of Power Zone Instructors". It just didn't work that way.)

Plan is to be on the bike early, do MOnday's ride + an extra credit ride and hope I have energy for Body Combat!!!

That's it for now.
Make it a GREAT day!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 04:32 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - joining in with Les Mills, nice! That's a good point about internet use increasing and possibly causing the problem. Our schools go to online classes on Monday, so far it's been early spring break.
Cleda - Week 1 DONE! We knew you could do it.

3/28 - I did a DVD! I knew I needed some weight work, but wanted something lighter than BP, so I did Jessica's Tred & Shred followed by 30 minutes with Leslie. After doing BP, I really didn't care for the multi-limb weight moves that Jessica did. It was a decent workout, but I didn't feel strong afterwards, if that makes sense?

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 08:51 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Yep ... week one done

But I slacked on Les Mills and I didn't want to. (never end a sentence in a preposition. Ooops) ... soooooooooooooo ... I am hoping today I get in a LM Body Combat. Time will tell.

So, the first week is complete and I even did all of the extra credit rides. . . Enough of that babble (it's constant for the next 7 weeks). . .

3/29/2020: Matt Wilper's 45 minute Power Zone ride (Week 2 ride 1) and followed it up with Olivia's 30 minute endurance Power Zone Ride. The more I do Olivia's ride, the more I like her. Followed with Sam Yo's cooldown ride (10 minutes - one of my favorites) and 2 stretches.

Life is good. I finished my 12 week session with the coach and am going to go on a month to month basis now till this crisis passes and I know better where we are headed financially. It's irresponsible of me to spend that kind of $$ all at once for an entire year (which is what I want/need) ... so for now? Month to month. I really do NOT want to give it up at this point as I am an emotional eater. The accountability, the coaching, the lifeline (for now to me) feels crucial. I am a serial dieter and I usually get to this point and get "diet cocky" and go back to my old ways. (Gaining all I have lost and then some) I am working more this time on having a better relationship with food and fueling my workouts. Ending this cycle ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!! The weight loss is a by product of that. I am down 30 lbs. (with many more to go) so it's all good and I will continue. I have long term goals and I'm going to stick to them.

Make it a great day. I'm off to exercise.
Waves to all!!!
Cleda
Old 03-30-20, 01:19 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - you can't do it all (Les & Peloton), so stick to your challenge and when you have the extra energy/time, Les Mills will be there! Since your coach is helping you, it makes sense to continue, especially during these uncertain times. My DH has been having a difficult time dealing with this lately. It takes it's toll emotionally.

3/30 - so I tried a Power Zone ride today! Matt Wilper's 45 minute Endurance Ride. I liked it! It's nice to do a ride where I don't feel like I should be pushing harder all the time. I followed it with Oliver Lee's 20 minute Pop Fun Walk. I really liked this, too. I'm finally getting some use out of my bike & treadmill!

I plan on getting out into the garden soon and a dog walk later.

Old 03-30-20, 01:37 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi everyone! I’m baaaaacccckkk, lol! I’ll rejoin you for April.

DH & I have been doing lots of outdoor walks, we’ve are fortunate to live in a scenic sparsely populated area. We are near the ocean with easy access to nature trails & our spring flowers are in full bloom. Walking outside is calming and gives me hope that we will get through this. I’m teaching Essentrics to my crew on zoom and also doing Pilates & low weight/high rep aero tone type workouts. Daily yoga or stretching is also on my menu to keep me grounded.

I hope you are all safe & well!
See you in April!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 05:58 PM  
Helen

LILI
I DO know what you mean about feeling strong. Using heavier weights for single muscle focus is what I prefer- I can focus on good form better too that way.

CLEDA
Sorry you're stressing about what's going on - but you're not alone, many of us are! My workload has increased quite a bit, but thankfully no health concerns, but I'm NOT assuming it won't happen to me or mine. Paranoid when I go out, like to the supermarket - definitely!

PAM WELCOME BACK!!!
Zoom is what I've been using to teach maths online as well - sharing whiteboard and using fine-tip digistiser pen works quite well.
You're fortunate in your location - staying calm and grounded is something we all could do with more of.

Sunday 29th march
Long (an hour) walk on a converted rail-line with Bridget & Alice
Alice needed the walk, and Bridget wanted nature, and it was predictably NOT busy with people.

Monday
Christi - Totally Hot Cardio, 56min via YouTube & FaceTime with buddy.

Tuesday
Richard Simmons - Sweatin' to the Oldies, 66min via YouTube, with buddy on FaceTime, seems weird BUT buddy wanted easy & fun & I boosted everything WAY UP, to sweat.
Wanted to to my own heavy weights thing, but she's bored and lonely - I caved. I'm still working, MORE hours than usual. and I've actually NEVER done a Richard Simmons workout, so it satisfied my curiosity as well.

Wednesday is our usual "weights day" anyway, so.....
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 06:24 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Last day of March

And soon Helen will be making our April check in!

Pam: So good to see you back. Your outdoor walks (which, btw COUNT!) Sound wonderful. And the Essentrics and yoga - well 'nuff said. You're busy!!!

Lili: I'm so glad you liked Matt's Power Zone endurance ride. It's deceivingly effective! I like the fact that I don't have to go all out and smoke my legs every single ride. There's a time and place for all of that. I don't think I've ever done Oliver Lee. Will have to check.

Helen: I used to do Richard Simmons! (back in the early 90s). What a hoot. Love seeing you back!

on to me, me and all me:

3/30/2020: Denis Morton's Power Zone Endurance ride (45 mins) + Ally Love's "Sundays With Love" (Virtue was HOPE), Les Mills Body Combat #80 (I think) but only did 15 minutes of it, stretch and meditation x 2

I was going to do another Power zone Ride. I like to do them in order. I'm on Week 2, Ride 3. The problem was: it was a tougher ride and I didn't want to be afraid to bonk part way through. I didn't realize Ally had done a LIVE ride on Sunday (No audience) so I did that one instead. It was good. Now it's back to all PZ for the rest of the week. To get the weekly ones done plus the extra. They have cancelled (and rightly so!) all in studio rides. !!! I don't mind, I'll never get to my THOUSANDS of on demand rides I'd like to do, not to mention treadmill, etc, etc.

Les Mills wasn't working right. freezing screen. same thing that Bellicon does. So frustrating. I'll see how it goes. Might rethink. I have until next Friday to cancel (and I think actually beyond that - but I gave myself a few extra days.) Because it was freezing, It would lag then jump forward. This could be an internet problem with everyone on. So who knows? Because of it, I was having a tough time doing the workout and honestly? It wasn't fun, so I bailed after 15 minutes. It was still effective though (feeling it today!) Anyway, I can be cranky these days, so it's probably not entirely LM's fault.

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 03-31-20, 12:51 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - sounds very similar to the problems I was having with Les Mills. I found it annoying. To be honest, with your Peloton challenges, I would wait on signing up for Les Mills. You definitely have enough to keep you busy. And dare I say it, we all have DVDs collecting dust. But I also understand the "I want to do all the things" feeling, too!
Helen - I have a few Richard Simmons that I used to do on the rebounder. I could bump up the intensity that way and still enjoy his enthusiasm.
Pam - welcome back! Always good to see you!

Nothing yet today, just wanted some human interaction! The pandemic has finally put me in a slump. I try to limit the amount of news I watch, I try to stay busy, but it just really hit me last night to the point of tears. We are fine, we have pensions that come every month. Our kids are all still employed and will continue to be. But I hear all of the unemployment figures and worry so much. We do take-out weekly to help support the local restaurants and I plan on buying some gift cards from our hairdresser and some other restaurants, but I know it's not enough. I'm also giving blood tomorrow, since there is a shortage.
Sorry to be a Debby Downer, but I just had to vent. I'll come back with a workout later.

Back to put in my workout: dog walk, then 1 mile with Nick, and 1 Mile with Jessica, Belly, Buns & Thigh walk. I started 4 different workouts before I settled on Nick's mile.

Old 03-31-20, 06:13 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Sage advice

Lili: I almost agree with you. I liked the one body combat I did, but not the next one (due to the technical issues) . I have on my calendar to cancel by 4/10 if I want to (and you're right! we all have dvds collecting dust). If I want to do kickboxing, heaven knows, I can revisit any of the taebos, do some KCM, some Cathe, etc, etc ..... You are my voice of reason tonight!

BTW ... just so you don't feel so bad (and NEVER worry about being a Debbie Downer!!!!) Today I am all rainbows and unicorns. But that's this hour. I Just text my sister and told her NO DOOM AND GLOOM for me today, I'm being happy. Because I go from weeping and crying to never wanting to leave my house to worrying to being happy ?! It's all so .... unbelievable. I told my one son I feel Like I'm in a poorly produced episode of "The Twilight Zone" meets "mad Max". And I expect to see Rod Serling walk around the corner arm in arm with Mel Gibson. But then no! Wait! they can't, they would have to be 6 feet apart..... probably with masks and gloves! So I definitely get where you're coming from. My office closed 3/16 was the last I worked. We had a zoom meeting today just to stay in touch. We have NO IDEA when we will/can go back or what the business model will be. So much of the world has changed and a lot more change to come.

Sooooo vent away.

Today ??? I choose to be happy and That's that.

And to keep on topic:

3/31/2020: 45 min Power Zone Denis Morton Ride +45 min. Power Zone Matt Wilpers ride + Sam Yo Cool down + 2 stretches + Christine's arm workout + her Dead bug Ab workout. Yeah ... good day for the endorphins!!!!

So ends March.
31/31
91/366

1/3 of the way through the year with Every day! I'll take it.

Make it a great day.
Cleda