Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-17, 03:18 PM  
Negin

Heavy Weights

I'd like to start using heavy weights a few times a week. I keep reading how effective they are for toning and that they seem to make the most difference in the least amount of time. Not five-pound dumbbells, but the type that make me feel sore a day later. Although I will still use 3 and 5-pounds for some workouts, I'd like to focus on heavy weights and incorporate that type of workout more often.

I don't want to go to a gym.

1. We have 8 and 10-pound dumbbells. I just placed an order for 12, 15, and 20-pounds. I wanted to get 18-pounds, but my husband and I both agreed that we probably won't need that. Thoughts?

2. I have lots of DVDs - including:
a few by Jari Love
pretty much every single Joyce Vedral (not sure if JV is suitable for the heavy stuff, since it's been a long time since I've done her workouts)
Kathy Smith Lift Weights to Lose Weight & Ultimate Sculpt
and probably some more.
I love Jessica Smith, but having done a search here, realize that only two of her You Tube workouts are suitable for heavy weights.
I need another DVD like I need a drill through my head. Will the DVDs that I have, or even any You Tube workouts be enough?

3. I'm an overweight, 49-year-old endomorph. In case you're interested in any of that. I'm an apple, but when I'm at my ideal weight, I'm an hourglass.

4. I've heard good things about these books. I'm not much of a paper workout type. If I do get these books, I'd get them used, or maybe I won't get them if I don't need them. I'm counting on everyone's wisdom here .

The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Thinner, Leaner, Stronger

TIA.
Old 03-20-17, 04:30 PM  
jusca

The rather unusual weights to find like 18lbs are very useful for exercises where a 5lb increase from the usual jumps of 10s to 15s or 15s to 20s makes a big difference especially increasing upper body weights which probably needs smaller increment increases than lower body. I have Powerblocks to account for a wide range of weights. I still have my dumbbells in 8s, 12s since Powerblocks cant do those particular weight size.

The only dvds I have that you mentioned above is Jari Love's Get Ripped and Get Extremely Ripped. I personally can't do heavy weights with her stuff. She moves too fast and it's far too many reps on heavy weight and you may be fatigued long before the workout is over. When I say heavy, I'm thinking in the range of 20-45lbs for lower/back body and 15-20lbs for upper body. You'd have to see what works for you though.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 05:06 PM  
Tugger31

I've only done Joyce workouts from a book, not a dvd and only just got into Jessica Smith and have only done a cardio abs workout so far.

I do have a few Jari Love dvds which can be a good place to start depending on your level, but most of her workouts tend to be higher rep so more for endurance rather than strength. However if you haven't lifted much before you'll definitely gain some strength too, but you may hit a plateau where you either have to do less reps or do them slower in order to go up in weight.

I really think Cathe is a good place to start with weight training, particularly her old Pure Strength series. They are basic and get the job done and she provides alot of form pointers. Also for most any workout you can substitute dumbells for barbell exercises. It was years before I invested in a barbell.

I think a good set of weights from 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 20's may be all you'll ever need. I do have 25's and 35's and a barbell, but I rarely use my 25's or 35's anymore. I will use 25's for one arm back rows though when I'm in the mood to go heavier. (I'm an endo/meso in my mid 40's)
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 05:43 PM  
desderata

Ditto what Tugger said. I still use the Pure Strength series. Cathe deliberately has more reps for the lower body workout than for the upper body to account for the fact that at home exercisers aren't likely to have truly heavy weights for the bigger lower body muscles.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 06:59 PM  
Sara1000

Hold 2-3 pound weights together with heavier weights to make smaller increases. The low pound weights are quite small and can easily be held with heavier weights. Also wrist weights and weighted gloves can be used to make smaller increments.

I got 1,2 & 3 pound weights at Walmart for $1 a pound. They are coated with pretty colors and have lasted for years with no apparent wear. HTH
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 07:13 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Hold 2-3 pound weights together with heavier weights to make smaller increases. The low pound weights are quite small and can easily be held with heavier weights. Also wrist weights and weighted gloves can be used to make smaller increments.

I got 1,2 & 3 pound weights at Walmart for $1 a pound. They are coated with pretty colors and have lasted for years with no apparent wear. HTH
I have done the same thing with small weights and it works really well!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 08:19 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
Ditto what Tugger said. I still use the Pure Strength series. Cathe deliberately has more reps for the lower body workout than for the upper body to account for the fact that at home exercisers aren't likely to have truly heavy weights for the bigger lower body muscles.
Tritto what Tugger said.

Cathe's Pure Strength was one of the first strength training videos I bought. I was pretty much a novice. She's an excellent teacher no matter your level. PS is basic and easy to follow, and there is a modifier. I used really light weights and worked up to heavier ones. I never did buy a barbell; just used dumbbells and they work fine with PS and many other workouts that call for a barbell.

I also worked out with Joyce Vedral's books; IMO her videos are lousy compared to her books.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 09:00 AM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Also wrist weights and weighted gloves can be used to make smaller increments.
This is what I do. I use 1 pound weighted gloves and/or 2,5 and 5 pounds wrist/ankle weights and it works great!

Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 10:37 AM  
cindyw75

My favorite DVD for lifting heavy is Cathe's Xtrain Burn Sets. That one is specifically for upper body. I've done the Pure Strength series, but I've never really enjoyed the music in it, so I tend to not look forward to it.

As far as the 18 lb dumbbells, I haven't found a need for them. For big muscles, I find that going in 5 lb increments is just fine. You can always start with your heavier weight and switch to your lighter weight as needed. Or like someone else recommended, get weighted gloves.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 11:44 AM  
Negin

Thank you all so much for your helpful replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I really think Cathe is a good place to start with weight training, particularly her old Pure Strength series.
Also for most any workout you can substitute dumbells for barbell exercises. It was years before I invested in a barbell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Cathe's Pure Strength was one of the first strength training videos I bought.
I never did buy a barbell; just used dumbbells and they work fine with PS and many other workouts that call for a barbell.
Cathe Questions:
1. Do her workouts involve lots of push-ups. i don't mind planks. I hate push-ups.
2. Will I need a step?
I'm happy to hear that I won't necessarily need a barbell, at least not yet, or maybe at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I also worked out with Joyce Vedral's books; IMO her videos are lousy compared to her books.
Oh dear. I gave all her books away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyw75 View Post
My favorite DVD for lifting heavy is Cathe's Xtrain Burn Sets.
Thanks Cindy, I will look into that one as well.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate everyone's tips and comments.

Tags
dumbbell size, heavy weights, jari love, joyce vedral, kathy smith, weighted gloves, weights