Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-16, 10:36 PM  
SueT

Workouts Good for Recovering from a Cesarean Section

Hi, everyone. My daughter is almost 6 weeks post-partum, and her doctor has said she can do some "mild" exercise. She knows walking is safe for her to do, but it's pretty cold and miserable here in New Jersey, and she doesn't want to take her newborn son for stroller walks in this kind of weather.

She asked me to ask all of you kind ladies if any of you have any advice on workouts that would be safe for her to do now or in the near future. She likes Ellen Barrett, so I bought her Ellen's 7-Day DVD for Christmas, which I'm kind of glad I'm hearing is relatively easy. She also loves Raviana Kundalini Yoga, and has just about every one of her workouts.

As many of you have experienced, I'm sure, most doctors give very vague advice when it comes to workouts, and Julie and I were both sure that there must be many of you who have experienced cesarean sections and had to find ways to get your bodies back. I had two vaginal deliveries, so I'm really no help with this.

Thanks so much for any advice you could give.

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-16, 12:45 AM  
BamaTanya

I used several workouts when recovering from a hysterectomy

We hate to assume that your daughter's situation is the same, so always check with the doctor.
Once my doctor said I could exercise again, I started GENTLY. Walking, of course. And then workouts like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCv7Tx8l_y4 and this: https://youtu.be/mJhP85lf1ys (This is a series progression.)
I also highly recommend this dvd: https://www.amazon.com/POSTNATAL-RES...ct_top?ie=UTF8 (includes 3 short workouts in progression)
Blessings!
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-16, 01:16 AM  
SueT

BamaTanya, these are all such excellent suggestions! Thanks so much. I'm going to pass on all these links to my daughter.

Thanks again,
Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-16, 01:20 AM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

I'd think Leslie Sansone workouts would be good. Also, it's been 19 years since my c-section and I don't remember what I did, but I've had had four surgeries this year and have used Jessica Smith workouts for my "get back to working out" workouts. She has a lovely upbeat vibe too.

Best of luck!
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-16, 12:58 PM  
bfit

I think the Leslie Sansone walking workouts would be fine. The Jane Fonda workouts are very gentle and low impact too.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-16, 01:26 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

Congratulations, Sue! I remember we "talked" about your DD on the natural beauty thread - if I recall she had a lovely blog!

I didn't have a C-section when I had my daughter, but from what I could recall I did some walking and gentle Pilates and pretty much anything that felt ok. Wisdom comes with age, and I wish now I was more patient with myself and rested more when my DD was an infant as opposed to feeling like I had to get up and at 'em right away!

I think Caroline Sandry may have a post-natal workout:

Yes, here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Post-Natal-Pi...aroline+sandry

Cindy Crawford also did a post natal DVD which was good, as I recall, it progressed nicely from a more beginner program to a more intermediate level:

https://www.amazon.com/Cindy-Crawfor...+new+dimension

I also did Ellen's Crunch Fat Burning Pilates - that was I think the only one that was available at the time (My DD is 13).

Take care and best wishes!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-16, 05:02 PM  
kariev34

I will be 6 weeks pp Friday and have my check up appointment then. I will try and pick my doctors brain for what exercises I can resume. I will let you know if he gives some clear answers so you can pass it on to your daughter. Congratulations!
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-16, 05:05 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I had 3 c-sections. Initially I just walked a lot--my back was so weak I couldn't stand for long. Lindsay Brin has some good postpartum workouts, and she specifically addresses rebuilding your core. My go-to workouts during and after pregnancy were the old Firm 6-pack set (Body Sculpt, Body Sculpt Blaster, Lower Body Sculpt II, etc.). They're relatively short, easy to modify, and include cardio and weights.

She could also use some prenatal workouts. Obviously she's able to lie on her back now even if she couldn't while pregnant, but the modifications in prenatal workouts should still work for her.

My last delivery was in 2011, and I did also do some barre work after that one. That was one good way to build up strength without having to use really heavy weights.

The main things I'd suggest is that she start slow. Even with a c-section, you can bleed a lot and doing too much too soon makes it worse. Your core is pretty much destroyed by the surgery so you have to rebuild that and in the meantime are more prone to back pain, etc. Congrats to her and to you on the new baby!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-16, 07:31 PM  
Fitmama

My last c-section was 10 years ago. Once I got released I walked a lot with my son in a carrier. When I started trying to work abs I used Tracey Mallett Lose the Belly Flab which helped me find the core muscles again in a very gentle way.

I know someone mentioned Jessica Smith TV and I think that is a great idea. I use her so much these days and there is so much to choose from. I also recommend Yoga with Adrienne. She is so low key and accepting and makes every practice about finding what feels good to you. Her videos and yoga in general has helped me with core work so much.

Good luck to your daughter and her newbie!

Live Kidney Donor April 2014 - Donate and save a life!
Fitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-16, 08:03 PM  
donnamp

I think Jessica may even have some pre and post-natal workouts that she did w/ her sister.

I also love, love, Yoga w/ Adriene! Her practices are really accessible and there is a wide variety to chose from. She encourages modifications. I was having some anxiety in the fall and since I started doing Adriene's practices I feel calmer in general and no heart racing! They may be good for her spiritually as well as physically as she adjusts to her new role as a mom.

Which, brings me to another -maybe Barre3, they are good about offering modifications - and they often use a core/squishy ball for ab work which may be easier after a C-section.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-section, gall bladder