Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-14, 09:02 AM  
Chomper

Is my HRM a piece of crap or defective?

I have a Polar FT40 and after seeming to work well for a few months, it became very unreliable. It often does not pick up a signal at all, or picks up a clearly wrong heart rate- like a heart rate of 30 or 233 during a warm up. When it finally starts to pick up a realistic signal (it helps if I'm already sweating, or wetted the thingy with saline solution but can still take 20 minutes to get going), I frequently lose the signal multiple times during the workout. There seems to be a connection between bending forward or twisting and losing signal, which makes it useless for boot camp style workouts, but it also happened when running. Yesterday on the bike, every time I leaned forward for the hills part of an interval workout, it lost the signal.

I replaced both batteries, with no improvement. I was the strap regularly like it says to in the instructions.

My former HRM was a Timex and was also pretty unreliable too. But it was cheaper and I had a hoped a better quality HRM would make a difference. But this Polar is even worse. I am wondering whether HRMs just don't function well, or I have a dud? I could just buy another one, but I already feel like I've wasted my money.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 09:12 AM  
LoveVA

I have a Polar (can't remember which one), which does the same thing on occasion. Mine loses the signal and goes to 00, sometimes when I'm doing jumping jacks. I've had a few odd readings like 50 or over 200, but not too often.

How snugly does the band fit around your torso? I've noticed that my band loosens up after a few uses and I have to readjust it tighter, not to the point of being uncomfortably tight, but enough that it is snug. It seems to hold on to the signal better that way, especially when I'm bending over. You might have to just wear it a little more snugly. Other than that, I can't think of anything except sending it to Polar to have them look at it.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 09:17 AM  
Irisg1

I do not have an FT40, but I have Polar FT4 and FT7, I wet the strap with water where the transmitters are and have never had a problem. The only time I've had an issue, is when the batteries are running low. Even though you've changed the batteries, I would try another new set of batteries, just in case the ones you have are defective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I have a Polar FT40 and after seeming to work well for a few months, it became very unreliable. It often does not pick up a signal at all, or picks up a clearly wrong heart rate- like a heart rate of 30 or 233 during a warm up. When it finally starts to pick up a realistic signal (it helps if I'm already sweating, or wetted the thingy with saline solution but can still take 20 minutes to get going), I frequently lose the signal multiple times during the workout. There seems to be a connection between bending forward or twisting and losing signal, which makes it useless for boot camp style workouts, but it also happened when running. Yesterday on the bike, every time I leaned forward for the hills part of an interval workout, it lost the signal.

I replaced both batteries, with no improvement. I was the strap regularly like it says to in the instructions.

My former HRM was a Timex and was also pretty unreliable too. But it was cheaper and I had a hoped a better quality HRM would make a difference. But this Polar is even worse. I am wondering whether HRMs just don't function well, or I have a dud? I could just buy another one, but I already feel like I've wasted my money.
Old 08-27-14, 09:32 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I have an FT7 and had the same problem. Changed batteries, didn't work. I bought a new strap and that took care of it. I also followed instructions when washing the strap but still ended up having to replace it.

I'm starting to have those problems again, plus the battery indicator is low. This has been the worse Polar monitor I've had for longevity. I'm having to change the batteries way sooner than with all the others I've had over the years and I'm actually using it less than I did the others. And I never had to replace a strap. However, when I first got it, it was the best one I'd ever had as far as not wigging out, at least until the strap stopped working.
Old 08-27-14, 10:26 AM  
AnMrsDe

I had a Polar FT-4 for a couple years now and has worked great until a couple weeks ago when the sensor stopped working. I did what it said to do in the booklet - to wash the strap, wet the sensors on the strap when you're wearing it to activate the HR, tighten the strap, etc., and even changed the battery but nothing worked. (The watch was working fine). So I called the Polar company and they sent out a replacement sensor within 1.5 weeks and that solved the problem.

One tip I found out about (but was too late) is that I should be unsnapping the sensor from the strap after every workout. Even though I reset my watch back to the time, date, etc., and lay my watch next to the strap w/ the sensor attached, the watch and sensor are still activated. I didn't realize this, so now I detach the sensor from the strap between workouts.

I know that won't help you now, but if they replace it for you, you may wish to do this to prolong its' longevity.

Polar's phone number: 1-800-227-1314
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 10:44 AM  
shoegoddess

You might need a new strap or a battery in the strap depending on the model. I deal with TimeTec out of Los Angeles. Phone # 1-888-448TIME. I mail both watch and strap to them and they let you know how much to fix and mail back.You might be able to find a service center near you too.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 12:53 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I used to use a Polar HR monitor, and ended up going to a cardiologist because I thought it was showing correct (and weird) readings. The HR monitor was defective (thank goodness). I don't know which HR monitors are accurate and reliable.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 01:29 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I've used Garmin straps with my Motoactv. They seem to have a reliable life of only 6-12 months! Even though mine didn't seem stretched out, it didn't pick up the signal, or would drop to something ridiculously low (like 40 bpm during a run) at the end of its life. Replacing the batteries didn't help.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 01:50 PM  
slysam

I get that sometimes when my strap sensors need cleaning. I have a Polar H7, I am not sure if the strap on the FT40 is different (but several use the same type of strap). Mine seemingly stopped working after three months of daily use (giving crazy readings like 0 and 220). I replaced the battery and it didn't help. I called Polar's customer service and the agent suggested washing just the strap in the washing machine (but not the dryer). On mine the actual transmitter part clips off the strap. I did that and it fixed the problem. He said sometimes salts from sweat can build up even if you hand wash it after each use.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 01:51 PM  
Chomper

Thanks for all the input, ladies!

I might as well try with replacing the batteries again, then the strap. If it turns out I have to buy a new HRM every year or so, I'll probably just quit using them. I'm not an athlete, so that doesn't seem cost-effective at all.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heart rate monitors, hrm, polar, polar ft40