Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-13, 02:27 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I have been using an app called MyVideoBuzz to stream YouTube through my Roku, but they've been forced to take it down twice. It's up and running now, but who knows what the future holds. Plex is probably the best way to go.

Rumor has it that Roku had a noticeable presence at the recent YouTube developers conference, so hopefully they are trying to work out an easier solution.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 03:59 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimzee View Post
This is where I'm finding it confusing too. My DH did some research and it sounds like the Roku people and YouTube have been in disagreement.

Although there's an image of YouTube on the Roku 3 box, posters say the device won't stream YouTube.

Lucky Star?
I just got home and haven't read all the replies yet, but assuming a Roku 3 is not essentially any different from the other Roku models (?), yes you open a Plex account/channel (which is free) the same as a Netflix or Amazon Instant Video. Plex allows you to download videos from most sites. I've downloaded nearly every Jessica Smith Youtube video and my Plex channel plays them via Roku on my TV.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 05:31 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I love Roku 2 XS and Plex!
I used to connect my laptop to my TV but it's such a hassle to move my laptop from my home office area. I have a dual monitor set-up so I have to disconnect the cable to my big monitor screen.

DS has a desktop with 2 TB of hard drive. I can stream movies that are on his desktop via my Plex account as well. I just shared his folder that has his own movies.

I also have a 1.5 TB external hard drive connected to my laptop and can stream workouts from there via my Plex account. So I don't even need to transfer the workouts to my laptop's hard drive.

If I use the USB connection in my Roku to stream my workouts, it is so slow. Plex is so much faster.
Two thumbs up!

I might buy a Roku 3 for my workout room since my Roku 2 XS is connected to our living room TV.

Ooops, I did not answer the OP's question. It's been answered already. IIRC, there's a youtube icon already when you click Plex in Roku 2 XS. I haven't notice it there before. I don't like navigating to a website using Roku. I prefer to have a keyboard to type my search, vs. clicking letters on the TV screen.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 07:13 PM  
Leonana

I did not know about Plex! Thanks so much for the info. I use my kindle, which works, but I have small instructors, lol.
Old 08-29-13, 07:57 PM  
Whimzee

Since I was only going to use the Roku 3 for the exercise videos on YouTube, it sounds like I may be better off just buying one of the WiFi Blueray streamers. How easy is this device to use?
Whimzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 10:01 PM  
carole r.

I get YouTube on my blu-ray, on the TiVo, plus I can stream from my iPhone, iPad, or Mac. I guess Plexapp is the next best thing if you use only the Roku. You have to set everything up on the computer the first time, though. I use the ROKU in the bedroom for Hulu Plus, Netflix and Gaiam TV. They have so many apps, I wonder why they just don't have YouTube on Roku too.
Old 08-29-13, 10:40 PM  
hypnomoon

YouTube isn't on Roku at this time. I have Roku and have been using the Gymbox and the Daily Burn subscription channels. I got discounts from my Bulu Box (a subscription health and fitness monthly box) for both and I am trying them out.

There are a few other free channels but they are glitchy and have a lot of ads. Definitely, you get what you pay for here.

I have a Smart TV and a Blu-Ray DVD players which I can stream from YouTube. I just like my two subscription channels the most right now.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 04:46 AM  
froggy

I love the roku and plex app combination . It will stream anything, including YouTube, and once it is all set up you never have to hook anything else up to the tv. You do not have to download a youtube video to stream it through the plex app. There are several ways to stream content. I researched devices for a long time and went with roku because it is the best and most complete in terms of content and value. You can go to their website for a list of channels.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 09:58 AM  
missrane

Videobuzz is working right now, but you have to set it up in developers mode... not hard, and there is a step by step on their website. It was shut down before, may get shut down again.

There is a facebook channel, and if you save videos to your profile you can watch from there... this way you don't have to have your computer running at the same time as with plex and similar options..
missrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 10:22 AM  
Sollamyn

I don't have any problems streaming YT videos with my Roku (I can't remember which model I have!) using Plex. I was also able to stream PBS videos that are current on that sight--watched the latest season of Downton Abbey that way (while it was running) as I no longer have cable/satellite. I didn't have any luck, however, with streaming the Big Bang Theory.

Donna

Tags
roku