Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-13, 06:07 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
How about Netflix, is it worth it?
I stopped my DVD Netflix service because I just wasn't watching them fast enough but use my brother's streaming login on my Roku occasionally. Their streaming catalog is growing again (for everything except workouts, which as PeakFitness mentioned above, are gone entirely). I probably use Amazon Prime more frequently than Netflix, though. Those 2 channels, along with Pandora and TED Talks, are the ones I use most frequently.

This is a helpful site for keeping up with new channel additions:
http://www.rokuguide.com/

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 06:29 PM  
Irisg1

Thank you for all the tips . I was hoping Netflix had fitness, but I see they did away with all fitness. I may try the free Amazon Prime trial and see how I feel about paying for it. For now I'm exploring what's available for free.

Thank you soo much for the channel link. It definitely comes in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I stopped my DVD Netflix service because I just wasn't watching them fast enough but use my brother's streaming login on my Roku occasionally. Their streaming catalog is growing again (for everything except workouts, which as PeakFitness mentioned above, are gone entirely). I probably use Amazon Prime more frequently than Netflix, though. Those 2 channels, along with Pandora and TED Talks, are the ones I use most frequently.

This is a helpful site for keeping up with new channel additions:
http://www.rokuguide.com/
Old 01-12-13, 08:45 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

At the moment I'm still paying the per-view prices on Amazon Prime since I'm not ordering enough stuff or watching enough to warrant a full subscription. I have Comcast digital cable and find Amazon's per-view prices are usually a bit less than OnDemand. Even without a Prime subscription you can still set up a watchlist, which is nice.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 08:51 PM  
txfitmom

Just wondering I was looking at the Roku on Amazon and it looks like it does not work with Youtube. Is that true? I would only get it if I could somehow play fitness workouts from Youtube through the Roku onto the TV.

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 09:31 PM  
LauraBella

There is no official youtube app (and the unofficial youtube app was taken down). There are, however, other apps that aren't technically youtube apps that will play youtube content. (So, yes, ive been able to watch youtube on the Roku, sort of by the back door. O, and while we are on the subject of youtube, let me say you must not miss the Lizzie Bennet Diaries www.lizziebennet.com)
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 09:32 PM  
LauraBella

Also, remember students can get a cheaper Prime membership with their .edu emails.

And as another enabling comment about Prime :that free two day shipping comes in handy. Some, not all, used items are elligible for free shipping, too. So, with Prime, its solo enabling to pick up a four dollar Dvd every now and again. (My primary justification for being a prime member is that it pays tor itself in what I save on shipping for sending books to my niece and nephew through the year. I prefer to send a 5$ book instead of a $4 card.)
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 10:25 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
Just wondering I was looking at the Roku on Amazon and it looks like it does not work with Youtube. Is that true? I would only get it if I could somehow play fitness workouts from Youtube through the Roku onto the TV.
There is no official Youtube channel on Roku.

This channel seems to be the best for streaming Youtube videos. You need to download it from the Roku website on your computer.

https://owner.roku.com/Add/VideoBuzz
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 10:09 PM  
Irisg1

Does anyone know where I can find a list of Netflix movies and available channels. I've been searching, but cant seem to find it. TIA.
Old 01-14-13, 11:50 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
One of the free channels you can get for Roku is called Plex. With Plex you can download an app for your computer called Plex It. This allows you to download videos from YouTube or wherever and put it in a queue, which shows up on the Roku Plex channel. So you can view your Youtube videos on the TV that way.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 03:23 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a list of Netflix movies and available channels. I've been searching, but cant seem to find it. TIA.
There is a Netflix channel in the channel store. You can add it right from your Roku remote or you can log into your Roku account on your computer.

Tags
amazon prime videos, gaia, gaiam tv, roku, streaming, streaming workouts