Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-13, 11:09 AM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
I have a question I am hoping those of you who have a Roku box can help me with. I recently joined Gymbox, and stream the videos from my Ipad or Iphone onto my TV via cables. One thing that drives me crazy is that I have no remote to control the video. If I need to pause a video, I have to physically pause it on the Ipad. Now and then, I've accidentally hit stop and of course, it throws off my whole momentum, trying to find just the spot I was on. Very annoying. I was wondering what the difference would be if I was using a Roku. Can you control the videos by remote? How exactly does this work. I am willing to invest in one if it'll make things easier, but if it's about the same as streaming from an Ipad or laptop, then why bother.

Any advise anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance.
Yes, you control the Roku with a little remote. It's easy to set up (I had someone else set up my cable boxes, but I could handle this myself. Just a simple hdmi cord from box to tv, then use the remote to walk through the wifi and channel set up). I think stopping and restarting may be app specific? Amazon seems to always give you an option to "resume.")

Another option would be a wi-fi ready blu ray player with apps. (Be aware that not all players have all apps--double check for the ones you need. For instance, none of the ones sold at Walmart have an Amazon , and I am not sure if you can add one). Some have an option to use your smart phone as a remote.

hope that helps.
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 12:10 PM  
sherry7899

The blu ray player we bought at Walmart does have an Amazon app, along with netflix, hulu plus and a bunch of others.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 12:11 PM  
antbuko

Iris, I would definitely recommend the Roku to you. It's inexpensive and has a remote so you can easily pause, and you can stream Gymbox and other content.
Old 01-04-13, 12:50 PM  
Irisg1

I hadn't even thought of a blue ray player as an option. I am soo behind the times, lol.

One more question on the Roku box. Would I need an HDMI TV, or can I connect it with composite cables? I really need to get an LCD tv for my workout space, but my old TV works just fine, and those old TV's are soo difficult to get rid of. No one wants them anymore, lol.
Old 01-04-13, 01:16 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Quote:
I hadn't even thought of a blue ray player as an option. I am soo behind the times, lol.

One more question on the Roku box. Would I need an HDMI TV, or can I connect it with composite cables? I really need to get an LCD tv for my workout space, but my old TV works just fine, and those old TV's are soo difficult to get rid of. No one wants them anymore, lol.
Iris, there should be at least one of the Roku versions that work with composite cables, maybe all of them do. If you don't need HD, then the cheapest Roku might work well for you. The original Roku (which I used to own for my old TV) had composite inputs.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 01:46 PM  
Irisg1

Thanks everyone for the advise. You've all been a big help, and I just ordered a Roku.
Old 01-04-13, 03:42 PM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
The blu ray player we bought at Walmart does have an Amazon app, along with netflix, hulu plus and a bunch of others.

Sherry
O! Well, then, I will amend my comment to "none of the models currently in stock at my local Walmart." (At least there was no Amazon app featured on the box--and the sales associate 'confirmed' it wasn't compatible. Not that that opinion is definitive.)
Old 01-04-13, 03:44 PM  
LauraBella

Quote:

A nice thing about your choosing the Roku is that if you want to use it on another tv in the house...it's pretty easy to switch up.
Old 01-04-13, 03:44 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:

For bluray, only the Samsung has the Gymbox app. On my machine, not sure which one it is, you really can't go forward or rewind though. It is better on the Roku, but with my crappy internet, the Roku only works now and then and the Roku really doesn't like my wifi router.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 03:54 PM  
sherry7899

I think this is the one we have:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-3D-Bl...-WiFi/20370548

It was $110 in the store. I wouldn't know about it working with Amazon if we didn't own it

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon prime videos, gaia, gaiam tv, roku, streaming, streaming workouts