Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-10, 07:07 PM  
Irisg1

Polar FT4 &/or FT7 Advise?

I am looking to purchase a new Polar HRM. I currently have the Polar F4 and a Bowflex. I think the Polar is the most accurate one, but am starting to have some problems with it. I want to replace it with a newer model. I am wondering if any of you can give me advise between the two. I like the FT7, but from what I've been reading, it seems to be more inline for runners. I will be using mine for regular cardio workouts - mostly kickboxing. I would love to hear any opinions and advise you guys may have.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-10, 09:26 AM  
beatchica

My older, overly complex Polar HRM finally stopped working. The FT4 came highly recommend to me as a replacement as I was looking for a very simple feature set.

I mainly use my HRM for circuit training, interval training as well as biking and power walking. The FT4 has been versatile and simple enough to serve my purpose for all of these activities.

I bought the men's version of the FT4, which is the same size as the women's but a better color IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I have had it for about a month now and am really happy with it. It is very easy to set-up and use. I also find the calorie count to be pretty accurate too. The newer Polar soft chest strap is also a bit more comfortable then the older hard strap.

My one gripe with all heart rate monitors (maybe because I am small) is it takes some adjusting of the chest strap to get it to start picking up my heart rate, but I can live with that.

Here is a youtube video about how to set-up the FT4 for use, you will see it is nice and easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNZZJGatALo
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 09:46 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

My favorite HRM is the Polar F11, but I thought I'd give you and others a heads up on two Polar HRMs which are a great bargain: the FS1 ($38.95) and FS2c ($45.95) at HRM USA (scan down the page).

The F11 comes with a Wearlink chest tranmitter but I prefer the older T31 chest tranmitter/strap and needed a new one, but for a couple of dollars more I got a FS2c HRM which comes with the coded T31.

BTW, I think HRMUSA has outstanding customer service. There's also free shipping.
Old 12-31-10, 09:52 AM  
rriggs

I just got the FT4 for Christmas and love it! I am definitely a Polar girl, can't imagine switching to another brand. I had my old Polar (F6 or 7) I think and used it 5-6 days a week for 3 years and the FT4 is my replacement. I thought about getting the FT7 instead but there really isn't that much difference between the two and a decent difference in the price. I mainly run as my cardio and the FT4 is perfect.
rriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 03:49 PM  
Irisg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchica View Post
My older, overly complex Polar HRM finally stopped working. The FT4 came highly recommend to me as a replacement as I was looking for a very simple feature set.

I mainly use my HRM for circuit training, interval training as well as biking and power walking. The FT4 has been versatile and simple enough to serve my purpose for all of these activities.

I bought the men's version of the FT4, which is the same size as the women's but a better color IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I have had it for about a month now and am really happy with it. It is very easy to set-up and use. I also find the calorie count to be pretty accurate too. The newer Polar soft chest strap is also a bit more comfortable then the older hard strap.

My one gripe with all heart rate monitors (maybe because I am small) is it takes some adjusting of the chest strap to get it to start picking up my heart rate, but I can live with that.

Here is a youtube video about how to set-up the FT4 for use, you will see it is nice and easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNZZJGatALo
Thank you all soo much for your help.

I'm glad to hear that the men's model is the same size, because I wasn't crazy about the bronze color the women's model came in either. That's the main reason I was considering going with the FT7. I did find a great deal on the FT4 on Amazon too. Under $71. for a brand new watch. I can't wait to get it.

Thanks everyone for the advise.

Tags
heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, hrm, polar