Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-20, 11:37 PM  
prettyinpink

Nuggiesauntie, ITA! Miguel was mentioned in the Rich Roll podcast with Sadie. Maybe I will give WeCrashed a listen.

Quote:
Hey, this is a streaming workout site, not a cult.
Totally agree, Lynnf!

I agree, it is exercise, I don’t need to “deeply connect” with my squats on a spiritual level. The response to workout comments are positive but kind of silly, Of course, I don’t have to read them at all, but sometimes I like to see what users have said before I pick which one to do.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 08:13 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnf View Post
And I agree with your points -- I get so irritated by the comments on barre3 site that say things like "I wasn't so wild about the workout, but I trust you to know the most up-to-date science and give us the right workouts for us." Hey, this is a streaming workout site, not a cult.

I'll give them the b3 "restore," which is actually fairly unusual in the exercise world in terms of a fusion/yoga/stretch type workout, so there is some innovation there.
OMG, do people really comment like that?! I haven't noticed those comments, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. There are definitely people who have chugged the kool-aid.

i agree on the restore focus. That is a real need in the fitness world--more workouts that emphasize gentle movement.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 02:20 PM  
prettyinpink

I am not sure if anyone missed these like I did, but they have a new collection up that has seven new 60 minute Studio workouts. Yay! It look like some of them might have more class participants, too. I am really looking forward to trying these.

There is so much regular new stuff now that it is easy to miss.
Old 03-30-20, 03:20 PM  
lynnf

Wow, this looks like maybe it's the April collection. It's shot in studio classes and even has one of Shannon's classes! Super cool. Just went up. I have to say that they are pulling it together now. Ok the cardio and more traditional weight training is meh, but the recent signature barre 3 workouts have been great and there's plenty of new stuff, so you can avoid the "evolved" stuff if you don't care for it and have plenty on the site to do. To me the music doesn't see quite as good, but overall, things are definitely way improved.
lynnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 07:53 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I just did one of Shannon's, one of the old ones with the set that has wood paneling going halfway up the wall. It was SO GOOD. No irritating yoga babble. In the two most recent ones I've done (with Andrew and Allison) they keep going on about 'your truth.' Allison must have said it 15 times during the 30 minute workout. This whole 'my truth/your truth' stuff drives me up a wall. Truth is NOT RELATIVE! I really can't stand the rhetoric in the newer releases. I simply cannot do workouts with Charo. She's the worst with that.

This one I just did with Shannon was so good. Just good cueing. Reference to modifications, but also encouragement to push yourself where appropriate. I wish they could find their way back to that.

That said, I am looking forward to trying the new studio offerings. I always loved the studio classes I used to take.
Old 03-31-20, 09:50 AM  
lynnf

Hi Nuggie's Aunt,
There's no need to let barre3-speak ruin your enjoyment of their current classes. Just use my handy translator (and pull out as often as needed):

follow your truth=don't kid yourself: if this hurts, or you're too tired, old, out of shape, pregnant or whatever, MODIFY -- and don't blame us, if you don't modify and you hurt yourself, you hear me?

Hope this is helpful. However, I do not think this will help with Charo, whose workouts are plain badly constructed IMHO, repetitive and boring, and totally over-hyped.

In other matters, I did the first half of Shannon's studio class, and it was great. The studio looks just like ours in AR, and at first I was amazed at how fit and good at B3 the class was until I realized, it was all instructors! It was way fun seeing Andrew, Lisa, Stacy, Holly and others in class. They had strategically placed sanitizer in the room and they seemed distanced, but Shannon was touching people. Nevertheless it was completely like studio classes I have taken and looks to be a great collection. No truth has come up so far, so the translator was not needed.
Old 03-31-20, 11:02 AM  
prettyinpink

What bugs me about the rhetoric is that it feels religious. As a religious person of a recognized faith, I know that proselytizing in public settings isn’t generally appreciated in something like a workout, unless it is obviously for a certain audience.

This secular kind of religious talk is likewise not appreciated for a general audience. I’ve been able to tune it out somewhat, but you’re right, in some workouts it’s just too much.
Old 03-31-20, 12:25 PM  
lynnf

I just took it as Portlandia new age talk.
Old 03-31-20, 12:48 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
That it is.

Maybe Toni and Candace should lead a barre3-style workout.
Old 03-31-20, 01:26 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
That it is.

Maybe Toni and Candace should lead a barre3-style workout.
Quote:
Hi Nuggie's Aunt,
There's no need to let barre3-speak ruin your enjoyment of their current classes. Just use my handy translator (and pull out as often as needed):

follow your truth=don't kid yourself: if this hurts, or you're too tired, old, out of shape, pregnant or whatever, MODIFY -- and don't blame us, if you don't modify and you hurt yourself, you hear me?

Hope this is helpful. However, I do not think this will help with Charo, whose workouts are plain badly constructed IMHO, repetitive and boring, and totally over-hyped.

In other matters, I did the first half of Shannon's studio class, and it was great. The studio looks just like ours in AR, and at first I was amazed at how fit and good at B3 the class was until I realized, it was all instructors! It was way fun seeing Andrew, Lisa, Stacy, Holly and others in class. They had strategically placed sanitizer in the room and they seemed distanced, but Shannon was touching people. Nevertheless it was completely like studio classes I have taken and looks to be a great collection. No truth has come up so far, so the translator was not needed.
Quote:

I was actually thinking we could make a drinking game out of it. Everytime they say something about your truth, you have to take a sip of water. You will be peeing ALL DAY LONG.

Tags
barre 3, barre3, barre3 streaming