Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-20, 08:38 AM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
There are so many Roku devices which one to get? Thanks!
check reviews online.
I have a plain cheap HDTV and the cheapest ROKU Express on Amazon works great but there are new tvs with better technology and ROKU devices to match.
The Smart TVs cannot update as easily as a casting device.

Since discovering how horrible ROKU support is if there were a problem, I would never buy a ROKU TV or any ROKU device directly from their online store. After my horrible experience with a Christmas order for a ROKU streaming stick, I will be trying an Amazon stick for our other HDTV instead when I feel a need for casting without a cable wire there.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 12:10 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
I have a much older version of Apple TV and it is getting extremely frustrating to stream from my iPad or iPhone. It keeps quitting on me or doesn’t even connect sometimes. I want a little better platform so I’m thinking of upgrading. Wondering if the problem is just because the Apple TV is old?? I think it’s a 3rd generation. I was wondering if I should get a new generation Apple TV or go for. Roku? The only benefit of an Apple TV would be streaming from my devices which I’m hoping a newer generation would be much better at. Any opinions? Thanks!
When you say streaming from your iPad, what exactly do you mean? Because Roku does *not* support screen mirroring from Apple devices, and while you can play personal photos or videos you actually shot with your device, you can't play videos you downloaded, like from Youtube.

However if you want to play videos directly from Youtube on your TV, Roku has a Youtube app that works very well - you can sign in and play your playlists or any favorites. Roku also has Cathe Live and On Demand and numerous other fitness apps. Plus you can "cast" Youtube, Youtube TV, Netflix and some other apps from your device to Roku (meaning you select the video in the app on your device and touch the casting icon, and it opens and plays on the TV) but it's kind of clunky and I would rather just watch Youtube TV or Netflix using the Roku remote.

If you need Airplay compatibility (mirroring your device) there are some new TVs that have Airplay built in. Look for Apple HomeKit compatibility. I think it's in some newer LG and Vizio TVs. I was looking to buy one for my dad for Christmas but he is satisfied with watching videos through the Youtube app on Roku.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 12:17 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Also if you have Amazon Prime and watch Prime videos, the Fire 4K stick is really nice and there's a discount code that lets you buy one for half off. I like the interface better than the Roku's. (Although it doesn't play well with Apple devices either. Apple doesn't want you to stray from their corral.)

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 08:34 AM  
Evie292

I would vote for buying a roku device before the television also. It is so much cheaper to upgrade or replace than an entire tv, and its frustrating when your smart tv apps don't work anymore. I wound up buying a roku device to run on the smart tv because the tv did work, which was a complete waste of money. I've had roku in many versions for probably 8 years? - and love them. I've mostly purchased the lower end rokus because some of the more expensive features don't interest me, like searching with voice. It uses the battery so quickly, I stopped using it. I have about 7 or 8 roku devices now, on various tvs throughout our house and property, and installed in my airbnb.
Evie292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 12:37 PM  
pharma_gal

For the Roku streaming devices - can you download newer apps? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 01:13 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
For the Roku streaming devices - can you download newer apps? Thanks!
Not sure what you are asking but ROKU updates their devices through the internet more than smart tvs do.

I have a Vizio TV with internet apps that has removed most of its apps and is not enabling new apps.
In fact,I bought the ROKU Express because Vizio removed their Netflix app. Ironically, I no longer have Netflix.

Getting newer apps is no problem on the ROKU.
What I want is access to their older apps no longer available.
For example, there was a ROKU vhxtv app which is no longer in the Google Play store but still exists on ROKUs that had it downloaded back when it was available.
I do have it on my tablet and on my phone thanks to google syncing.

I have to mention the Web Video Casting app I have on my phone and ROKU.
I can cast almost every web video with that app, except VHXtv.
Its creator is working on enabling access to vhxtv in the next beta version.
For $3.99, the app works ad free forever.

Barb S
Old 01-21-20, 01:43 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I gave up on streaming through my "smart tvs" a couple years ago. Even the latest greatest most expensive smart tv would periodically give me trouble streaming prime or netflix or whatever app (even with the internet router near the tv and the family room tv connected to the router directly. (First world problems, I know.)

So, after years of resistance (not sure why I was resisting in the first place), I finally gave in and bought a cheap roku device for the family room. Works like a charm/champ. So then I bought one for the spare bedroom, which gets a weak wifi signal. Works great there too. I can stream hulu, prime, netflix, some free PBS, some cable shows via the xfinity beta app (we have xfinity cable and tivo but sometimes I miss an episode and can only get it on the xfinity beta app or my computer), and all kinds of stuff that roku keeps wanting me to check out.

Both roku devices still work perfectly. No more streaming/buffering issues. Interface is easier. Can add all sorts of channels. Life is good.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 02:31 PM  
horsemom2

The ROKU Express apps stream better than our laptops with Verizon FIOS and has more options than the FIOS On Demand system.

I just activate each channel app once then sign in with Verizon as my provider. ROKU will save your sign in info.
I would advise not to subscribe to a channel through the ROKU system because their customer support is terrible.

Barb S

Tags
amazon firestick, apple tv, firestick, roku