Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-13, 06:36 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I don't have any problems streaming YT videos with my Roku (I can't remember which model I have!) using Plex. I was also able to stream PBS videos that are current on that sight--watched the latest season of Downton Abbey that way (while it was running) as I no longer have cable/satellite. I didn't have any luck, however, with streaming the Big Bang Theory.

Donna
PBS also added a dedicated Roku channel that has a lot of content (also a PBS Kids one). They send email newsletters that highlight the new content, which is helpful.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 07:11 PM  
ellaenchanted

I have DirecTV and they have youtube accessible right from the menu. I watch videos all the time. Or you can hook up a laptop to the tv with an HDMI cable.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 07:37 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
I love the roku and plex app combination . It will stream anything, including YouTube, and once it is all set up you never have to hook anything else up to the tv. You do not have to download a youtube video to stream it through the plex app. There are several ways to stream content. I researched devices for a long time and went with roku because it is the best and most complete in terms of content and value. You can go to their website for a list of channels.
I wasn't able to get it to work. It said the you tube videos were not in a format that was compatible with Plex. I didn't want to download them and convert them to MP4, which was what I was already doing with Freemake. I wonder if it matters which Roku that you have, as I have the Roku HD.
Old 08-30-13, 07:55 PM  
Irisg1

That is very odd. I have an HD and a couple XS models and all of my plexed YT videos appear on all of them. There are some video formats that won't work, but generally not a problem with YT videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I wasn't able to get it to work. It said the you tube videos were not in a format that was compatible with Plex. I didn't want to download them and convert them to MP4, which was what I was already doing with Freemake. I wonder if it matters which Roku that you have, as I have the Roku HD.
Old 08-30-13, 08:17 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
That is very odd. I have an HD and a couple XS models and all of my plexed YT videos appear on all of them. There are some video formats that won't work, but generally not a problem with YT videos.
I wonder if I set it up wrong. The videos appeared in the Roku Plex channel, but wouldn't play. I tried a Jessica Smith video.
Old 08-30-13, 08:35 PM  
Irisg1

Sherry, try a different video. I believe there was one Jessica video I couldn't play, but can't remember which one. I think it was a dance video.
Old 08-31-13, 01:49 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
Sherry, try a different video. I believe there was one Jessica video I couldn't play, but can't remember which one. I think it was a dance video.
I decided to try it again, and this time it worked! I'm not sure what fixed it, maybe it needed more time to load. I did make sure I was signed into Plex on my main computer. I thought I was signed in before, but perhaps not.

I did try Jessica's Sunset Walk. Perhaps there was something off with that one.

Thanks for your help, Iris. I wouldn't have tried it again without your input on the Rokus.
Old 09-02-13, 09:21 AM  
Sollamyn

I'm having trouble with Plexing the new Jessica Smith workout of the day (for her Fall challenge). That message on the left side of my screen comes up saying it is searching for videos but then it never moves or saves anything. Is anyone else having this problem? My internet has been a little slower lately, but no major problems. My Roku plays fine, at least.

Donna
Old 09-03-13, 12:15 PM  
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I have the Roku 3. Took a few minutes to set the server up on my computer and then it worked fine. I use the plex app that puts a button on my tool bar and then I open the video I want to stream, and plex it, which sends it to the plex queue and makes it playable via the roku.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roku