Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-11, 12:44 PM  
preklbt

bodyweight enough?

I am constantly trying to figure out the best type of workouts for my body & am going to spend a month doing cardio-toning type of workouts. Pilates, Physique 57, cardio dance, Leslie walking & some tae bo w/Billy. In the past I thought this might have been the best combination for my body. My only concern is as a 45 year old women is just bodyweight type of exercises enough or do I need more traditional weight type of exercises in? Some of the P57 workouts do use light weights & some of the pilates I have played around w/as well. I do think bodyweight is significant if I do a lot of workouts w/push ups & planks, but wasn't sure it is enough.

I am trying to reconcile myself w/the fact that I am always going to have "muscular legs & butt" but if it's toned & my heart is healthy then it is ok. As much as I would like to make it smaller I don't think my body will respond to that, but I think I'm ok w/that. When I was in my 30's I did tons of tae bo-went to a class a few times a week & did the Billy Blanks workouts & my body was the tightest it had ever been, I was a smaller size too. Not sure I can get back to that but I am hoping a similar combo of exercises can at least help me get results I can live with!

Thanks for the advice & for listening as I "talk out loud!"
Tami
preklbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 01:06 PM  
Elise7

I definitely do traditional weight training, so take this with a grain of salt. Pushups will work your shoulders, chest, triceps, and abs. However, they neglect the back and biceps. I would supplement pushups with biceps curls, rows, and tricep extensions/dips to balance out the body.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 01:46 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I say go ahead and try it for a month to six weeks and see what happens. You can always add in weights later.
Old 09-18-11, 02:08 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise7 View Post
Pushups will work your shoulders, chest, triceps, and abs. However, they neglect the back and biceps. I would supplement pushups with biceps curls, rows, and tricep extensions/dips to balance out the body.
Or you could do Pull ups/Chin ups and that will work everything above plus your back and biceps.
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body weight workouts, bodyweight, bodyweight workouts