Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-11, 07:50 PM  
rriggs

OT sort of: Timex HRM problems

This is kind of OT but not completely, anyway, I am really bummed out because I got a Timex Ironman Triathlon HRM at the end of March and now it is not sensing my heart rate with my strap at all. Anyone else had problems with Timex HRMs? I bought it from Amazon and it only had a 90 day warranty and I am not sure if I registered it with Timex. I am going to call them tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had any tips.

Thanks!
Did 75 days of S90 in 2010
Meta Omni 90 day rotation completed 5/2012-
Omni Continuity 1.1 completed 10/2012-
Omni Continuity 1.2 completed 5/2013
Omni Cont. 1.3 completed 11/2013
rriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 02:18 AM  
Hej

Change the batteries, beginning with the one in the strap, and if that doesn't work, try the one in the watch part. You can do it fairly easily by yourself.

I bought a Timex HRM a number of years ago and I really like it, but you do need to change the batteries fairly often.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 07:48 AM  
Blackadar

I have a Timex HRM and I hate it. I tend to get ultra-sweaty and the thing won't register my heart rate worth a **** once I've built up a good sweat. Went jogging this morning and after 15 minutes it said my heart rate was 81 (when it was more like 165 at the time). Even though it's tight around my chest, it tends to bounce a bit and that probably also doesn't help.

I hate it, hate it, hate it.

Frankly, are there any good HRMs out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. I'd prefer one with an arm strap or no strap at all, but something that works and works WELL?
Old 07-28-11, 08:13 AM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

I've used Timex HRMs for years, with only a few issues. My oldest HRM, that I bought 7 years ago, stopped receiving a heart rate signal and we had to send it back to Timex to be fixed. You could try contacting them to see if they will fix it free even if it's out of warranty.

One thing - are you wetting the contact points before you put on the chest strap? The instructions I received with my watch said to do this, as the water acts as a conductor for the signal.

Good luck!

ETA - I just thought of one more thing. I have to make sure the watch is registering a heart rate before I start my workout (ie turn the chrono "on"). If it's hasn't started receiving a signal before you start, it won't pick it up. I have gone on a few long runs only to arrive home and discover my heart rate wasn't being recorded. Ugh!
Old 07-28-11, 12:40 PM  
Exercise Diva

I bought this one a few months ago from Amazon and love it. Not the prettiest watch (they do have a women's version but it was pink and I liked the silver/black better). I almost went with a Timex but decided to stay with Polar. I've never had a problem with any of their watches and I've used them for years.

Polar FT4 Men's Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Silver / Black)
$60.00
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, hrm, timex hrm