Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-02, 08:35 AM  
Bebop

Any Total Gym Users?

Good morning - I have a quick question. Does anyone out there - including any men, use the total gym?

My husband who is at perferct weight, saw it on T.V. and was interested. We have limited space in our exercise area.

Does it give a good workout? Also, would I be able to use it - I am short - 4'11" but thought it would be a nice cross training tool.

Is it a quality machine?

Any thoughts?

As always, I appreciate your responses.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-02, 09:35 AM  
Theotoks
VF Supporter

Total Gym

I have it and use it. It is actually (unlike some infomercial machines!) a good, quality piece of exercise equipment. My understanding is that Chuck Norris does use the Total Gym on location to keep in shape.

My complaint is that it is not very useful for lower body work, IMO. I find the exercises awkward and not particularly effective, as you are using less than your body weight ---- a plain squat (with your bodyweight) is going to give you a better workout.

That said, I use it all the time for chest, triceps, biceps, back, and abs.

ALWAYS have a Plan B.
Old 08-24-02, 10:17 AM  
fitkansaschick

Thumbs up we have a generic one

Which allows me to do pullups.

I use it when I am doing a Body For Life Upper Body weight lifting routine.
Old 08-24-02, 10:47 AM  
ElizabethS
VF Supporter

Love mine

I have it for about 3 years now ( I have the cheap model, bought from Dick's sporting goods) and love using it for my upper body more than the lower body. But when my back is hurting I love working my legs on the total gym because my back is supported through out the moves so less pain/strain.
Also now they have more workout tapes, just bought the rosalie one from the ya-ya site and love it. The total gym site also have more tapes including one by Paul Chek.

Elizabeth
ElizabethS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-02, 11:03 AM  
Bebop

Workout tapes for the total gym? Are the good?

Being the true Vidiot that I am, this could be the machine for me - use it with videos for me and my hubby could work out listening to his favorite music.!
Old 08-24-02, 10:10 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Here's a link to a previous thread about the Total Gym:

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...ight=Total+Gym

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-02, 11:13 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

More info from users...

Try these sites:

http://www.fitnessinfomercialreview.com/totalgym.htm

http://www.epinions.com/search/?search_string=total+gym

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-02, 06:34 AM  
Bebop

Thanks for the links. You guys are fantastic. When hubby asked about the total gym I told him I would ask about it on VF because I knew I would get honest responses.

Now, since reading the reviews, I know the machine would be good but I have reservations because some of the posts said it is hard to fold down and takes a lot of space.

Unfortunately, I don't have a large exercise area - however -
I probably could clear a space for it but it wouldn't be near theTV so I would have to memorize the exercises from the videos.

I went to the website and am getting the free informational video.
Anyway, even if we decided to purchase it, it won't be right away since the model we would get is costly.

P.S. Maybe I can pop in a Cathe Video while hubby is in the room and convince him that buying some heavier free weights might be a cheaper option? LOL

Thanks again for the responses.
Old 08-25-02, 07:54 AM  
Theotoks
VF Supporter

Set-up and Take-down

Hi, I'm a pleased user, BUT . . .

let me add that my Total Gym remains out (in my workout area in my garage) so if setting up and taking down is an issue I am not the one to ask!

ALWAYS have a Plan B.
Old 08-25-02, 11:23 AM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I replied on this topic previously. We have both TG (the infomercial one and the cheap one (We got it at Sports Authority) but it is similar to the QVC one. Anyway at SA, we actually tried it so had a good feel for what it felt like.

Since it is not good for lower body (squats are way too easy, and this was the reason we bought the infomericial one), you might want to just go with the cheap model (if your husband is not too tall). I bet you could find one used in the paper or in a store that sells used exercise equipment.

As far as the videos go, I like to have the video that does the exercises along with me (ie not instructional). We have 3 videos that came as a set B, I, A and they are all instructional, showing and doing the exercises (but not all sets/reps). We even have the 8 minute one (shown on the informercial) and it is the same thing. Maybe the newer ones out there do all reps/sets of the exercises. I think I would be interested in those videos (I like it mindless) and would the TG more.

BTW, both of ours stay up all the time and it is easier to move the height with the informercial one but the other isn't too difficult.

Barb
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body for life, total gym