Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-20, 08:25 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Friends in Fitness - September 2020

Newcomers welcome!! Join us!

Whatever you do for fitness, walking, running, stepping, dancing, yoga, weights, pilates, kettle bells, swimming, biking, etc., come join us and we will try to encourage, inspire, support, and motivate you to achieve your goals!!

Have a happy and healthy September!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 08:27 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all!!

I'm copying my last post from the old thread here:

Yesterday was a 46 minute walk in the morning and that was it! I am planning a walk soon this morning and hopefully more. My sleep has been terrible lately, more so than usual. I guess I'm just not as active as I used to be when I was working.

TERRI, I hope you enjoyed your well deserved rest day. The Farmer's Market was a real bust after all that we went through to get there. We lost so many of the tomatoes in our own garden to the huge amount squirrels we have this summer. So we went to hopefully get some nice tomatoes and corn. The tomatoes and corn at the market were horrible and there wasn't much else there worth getting. I think it was more a flea market kind of thing than a farmer's market. Oh well.

PENGUIN, I don't think you did mention about the person training hubby being in the hospital! That's terrible that there is no one else there who will train him or help him! And then they complain about him to boot? Yuck. I'm sure the night shift will be a big adjustment but it seems at least hubby will be among people he knows and will help him. Good luck!
Old 09-01-20, 09:26 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Okay, it's a new month. Maybe I can be better about checking in. Anyhow, my workouts are still walking, biking, yoga and pilates. I did an uphill hike yesterday which I found hard! I'm so used to walking on relatively flat terrain.

I've missed the last week of posts, so I'll go read up.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 09-02-20, 08:04 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a 52 minute walk in the morning, some push-ups and planks in the afternoon and 80 kettlebell swings after dinner. I am hoping to walk today if the showers clear up and maybe some weight work.

NORA, good to see you. Nice job keeping up with your activities. So you seem to like the pilates? Nice. I remember walking up a steep hill with DS this summer that triggered my back pain. Or maybe it was the P90x I was also doing at the time

Waves to all. Stay well everyone!

Old 09-02-20, 12:28 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

WOW Penguin, I feel for your husband. Too bad the supervisor didn't assign somebody else to train him if the 1st guy was sick. I hope the switch to nights isn't too hard. I worked nights for a while in the PACU (recovery room) and end up wearing ear plugs so I could sleep during the days. The best ones I ever tried were Ohropax Classic.

Nora, an uphill hike sounds challenging.

SB, it's a shame the Farmers Market was a bust. I'm only getting a few cherry tomatoes a day now, and two more of the plants look like they're not gonna live much longer. I guess I need to pull them up so I can get ready to plant fall crops.

I didn't completely take the day off on Monday, but I did less than normal.

Yesterday I ended up with 1:07 on the treadmill, and some stretching.

So far today, I did a Leslie from YT, she said it was a 1 Mile express walk, but I don't think that's how it was labeled. I also don't think it was really 1 Mile, because it was barely over 15 minutes, and she did a warm up and a short cool down. It was o.k., though. Later did 31 minutes on the treadmill, more stretches.
I want to get back into the habit of lifting weights 3 days a week. Used to always due MWF, so I should do something today, just don't know what to try...
Hi to everybody!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 03:04 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I posted in the August thread but then copied it to here, so don't bother to check it ha ha.

So Hubby texted me earlier that he has something to talk to me about. He claims its nothing bad but I HATE it when he does this. Now I'm worried and speculating about what it could be!!

I went with my parents to their church for Bible study today. As usual Pastor took us down all sorts of wild tangents and was extra funny! It was good to be back.

SB, I'm a little frustrated with the entire work situation. I feel she should have assigned someone else but I don't think she blames Hubby. I'm aggravated about the switch to nights because I just agreed to do things like the Bible studies that happen in the morning. Alternatively , while I'm gone Hubby may be able to sleep more and it will be less frustrating for me to try to be quiet. time will tell.

Terri, thanks for the rec on the earplugs. We've been on nights before but this is the first time I've tried to be on days while he's on nights. Perhaps it will be better than I think. Still waiting on days. Apparently this is second shift 2pm- midnight. Not as bad as it could be.

Nora, good to see you.

Today I didn't feel like doing anything much but I tried UTTB Fit walks. {Pretty much my fun go-to when I don't want to get off the couch}. I started with her new 400 step Abracadabra walk, 2000 step Stepember challenge Latin Beats, and ended with 1m ABBA walk.

This is my friday, so happy weekend!!

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 07:59 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Today, i went for a 5 k walk. I dragged Woody along, so of course it took me longer than usual. I was proud of him for making it the whole way though! Poor old guy.

SB - Yes, I really liked my pilates class. Unfortunately, the instructor has packed up and gone home as of today. Oh well. She'll be back next summer. Meanwhile yoga is still going on, and that's where I'm headed in the morning. We've been doing both classes on an outdoor platform at my friend's cottage across the way. It's on the highest spot of an island with a long view down the lake. Couldn't really be more idyllic.

PP- Night shift? That sounds really rough. I hope you guys are able to work with that. Maybe what he wants to talk to you about is finding a new job!

Terri - it sounds like you're getting in a lot of exercise time. Is it still really hot there?
Old 09-03-20, 08:26 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a 46 minute walk in the morning, MR's All My Best Volume #3A and 60 kettlebell swings. I hate to say it but I think the kettlebell swings are tweaking my sciatica a little bit. I've been noticing a twinge here and there at times and I couldn't pinpoint it but since the swings were all I added on this week until MR yesterday I concluded it's the swings. It's too bad because they're a nice way to add some good activity into the day. It's not bad pain or anything but a twinge is my sign to back off something before it does become worse. I do plan a walk soon and hopefully more.

TERRI, nice job keeping up with the walking and stretches. Maybe poke around on YT and look for some short weight workouts to do MWF. I think MR would fit the bill perfectly but sometimes something new and different works too.

PENGUIN, nice walks. I totally agree someone should have been assigned to train hubby, that's unacceptable they left him on his own like that. Actually the 2nd shift doesn't sound too bad at all. I worked that shift for many years at the restaurant, well not quite that late but the general idea. I also had double shifts which is a whole 'nother story. I hope hubby had some good news for you.

NORA, ah Woody. Good for him. Glad the pilates worked out so well. So how much longer are you up at the cottage?

Waves to all. Have a great day!

Old 09-03-20, 12:25 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Penguin, 2 to midnight shift does sound better than what I was thinking -- we did 12 hour shifts, 7p to 7a (or 7a to 7p) and I could barely think by quitting time. What is UTTB?

Nora, that sounds like a beautiful place to do anything!

SB, you're right, I should look for some short weight segments on YT. I hope your sciatica doesn't get bad.

I didn't do any weights yesterday, but did some squats and push ups. I pulled out 3 or 4 dvds, and just didn't feel inspired to do any of them.

I've been on the treadmill today, but do plan to do something different today.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-20, 07:59 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a 35 minute walk in the park with DH and that was it. He doesn't walk too far or too fast so I left him behind for a bit but didn't want him waiting too long so I cut the walk short. We had some errands to run anyway.
I am planning a longer walk today and hopefully an add-on.

TERRI, nice job with the push-ups and squats. I used to do "bursts" I called them where I would do jumping jacks, squats, push-ups, planks a few times a day. I should get back to that. So far no sciatica problems, fingers crossed.

Waves to all. Stay well everyone!