Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-24-20, 12:03 PM  
Jules

Hi Ladies! My stomach is a upset this morning and my son felt urpy yesterday. Hopefully it is just a little bug. There are over 20 covid cases in my daughter's school already. We personally know 3 students and a teacher who have had to quarantine. No confirmed cases at the rural school where I work and my son attends. Numbers are going up quickly here and it is not good.

With that said, it is a good time to try to be "Zen" and get into my yoga practice! I did UY Strength on Tuesday and it sure felt tough! Yesterday I did UY Flexibility, which isn't my fave, but doable with a couple of modifications. Today I did Flexibility & Beyond: Ultimate, which is a rehashing of UY Yin. I wasn't as flexible as when I did Yin over the weekend, but I am sure I will loosen up in time once my body gets more used to my new routine.

Kate: Happy Birthday to your grandson! It will be fun for you all to get together this weekend! I wouldn't plan anything for next week - just choose whatever you feel like doing each day.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 07:52 PM  
Mickey12

Kate, have a great birthday celebration!

Tonight I almost skipped working out but I decided sitting in the recliner with my ipad and TV on while my back gets stiff was NOT the way to spend my evening. So I opted for a virgin in my pile. I got a few Gilad workouts at Mary's last sale. This one was Volume 3 of the 30th anniversary shows. The two episodes were not the normal format of Gilad's shows. The first one was 45 seconds of various cardio moves throughout. The second show used a medicine ball or weight for cardio/sculpt moves. It wasn't my favorite, seemed too shoulder intense. The workouts are not really very hard and that was what I was looking for. I just needed some movement. I also love the beach setting and SUNSHINE!

Hope everyone has a great night.

Kim
Mickey12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 10:38 PM  
fanofladyvols

Jules get well soon. Looks like yoga comes at a good time for you!

Kim I love when a workout out chase pans out! It's nice to have new workouts to look forward to. I picked up some Amy Dixon's in Mary's sale but am not sure how I'll use them. Your description of your couch evening was missing Finley though! My furfriend is a required couch buddy. She comes out of nowhere when she hears me start to settle on my couch and plop we are good to go When I go out of town and I sit on a couch, I'm always shifting around because I can't get settled and I know it's because I'm missing my little warm furball.

Kate hope the birthday celebration was fun! I always read about STS...then I go read about the specifics on Cathe's site and I never take the plunge because I know I could never commit to all those cycles. I really enjoy having a plan but can only do 3-4 weeks of something and then I'm ready to move on. I can't go back for a real long time once I do something for those 3 or 4 weeks. I admire folks who can do a 90 day rotation.. especially as written. Looking forward to hearing what you do next!

Today was BBL Cardio Axe plus Bum Bum Live. Fun fun!!

Goodnight all!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 12:39 PM  
fanofladyvols

Today was Xtrain Bi/Tri warmup plus S90 Shoulders/Arms.
I did skip one set in the third circuit that was an awkward standing bicep shoulder combo for me. It allowed me to go at my own pace for the biceps and triceps on the ball and not have to pause. The last circuit I switched to resistance bands to treat it like a finisher. Diamond pushups had me on my knees though, lol. Great workout!! Someone once said this set is like being at the gym with Tom leading you and turning you loose. I'm thinking that's why I'm digging this set.

Doing Xtrain made me miss it. I'm wondering if maybe what I'll do is hybridize Xtrain with Perfect 30 whenever I get it instead of FitSplit. Seems like it would work similarly.
What do you guys think?

ETA: Saturday did BBL High and Tight plus BBL Bum Bum Rapido.

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.

Last edited by fanofladyvols; 09-26-20 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added today
Old 09-27-20, 05:59 PM  
Mickey12

I posted this in the Cathe thread too, but I figured I'd also post here.

I've been thinking lately that I need to reduce my virgin pile. Right now I have 25 or so, not counting the 6 sets of Margaret Richard Unplugged and the 12 DVDs of Classical Stretch seasons and individual workouts. So I decided on Amy Bento HiLo Extreme. OMG, so much fun! The music is great, the combinations are athletic so not too complicated to grasp, and it's just happy and fun and hard. It's 63 minutes and also has several shorter premixes which is what I will likely do in the future. It also has really, really long premixes that combine weight work with the cardio.

Linda I wish I had some input on your proposed Xtrain and Perfect 30 combination. I've never been one to do rotations or have any structure in what workouts I do. I tend to just do what I feel like each day. Hopefully others will have insight and recommendations. Oh, and to respond to your earlier post, Finley was missing from my lap that night. He is still pretty young so he has a lot of exploring and playing to do. He doesn't have the patience for so much lap time, but when he is tired, it's usually my lap that he picks which makes me very, very happy. Rudy, my older cat, sometimes prefers my husband's lap to mine. We have a coal burning stove in our basement, so when we start that up for the winter Rudy is pretty much glued to his bed down by the stove. He can't get enough of that great, penetrating heat. I feel like I never see him once we start the stove.

Hope everyone has a great night.

Kim
Old 09-28-20, 05:03 PM  
Mickey12

Another post from the Cathe thread that I'm adding here too.

I tackled another virgin workout today. Hammer and Chisel, Max Hammer Strength. This one was only 35 minutes. The theme is working a muscle group with light/no weights for 60 seconds, then 8 reps at max weight. Sagi alternates upper body and lower body moves which I really appreciated. I also liked that he didn't repeat any exercises. The time flew by. I had a walk at lunch so this was a great compliment to that. Good stuff. I only have 2 other workouts from this series and then I can take it out of my virgin pile (and I believe it's been sitting there in excess of 2 years!!!!)

Have a great night, all!

Kim
Old 09-28-20, 06:17 PM  
Jules

Howdy! It is a gorgeous day here and I am happy is is nice out as my son has a soccer scrimmage tonight. I am recording the Chiefs vs Ravens to watch later.

We officially have a staff member at school out with covid and four others in quarantine. Luckily there are enough subs for now. I feel like my stomach issues of late are due to worry and stress. I may start adding daily meditation to my yoga practice.

On Friday I did Bryan Kest's Power Yoga: Energize. Love that one! At 55 minutes, it felt a lot shorter than the Ultimate Yogi practices. I took a rest day on Saturday. Yesterday I did Bryan's Tone. A little more vigorous than Energize, but still only 55 minutes. Today I did Yoga X from P90X. Gotta love all of Tony's corny jokes! I still have to modify some of the poses due to my tendonitis, but hopefully that will change over time.

Kim: It sounds like you found a couple of winners in your virgin pile! Love when that happens!

Linda: I think the 30 minute format of Cathe's upcoming workouts will make them very easy to mix and match with whatever you like. There are so many shorter premixes in Xtrain you could choose as well as the 100 rep challenges.
Old 09-28-20, 06:37 PM  
fanofladyvols

Jules you're right..I could just add on the 100 rep challenges if I wanted. Thanks for that reminder! Which football team are you cheering for?

Kim that's right..I remember! Sometimes your hubby picks a workout for you
I have Hammer and Chisel but have always thought it was something I needed more time to build up to.

Today I did BBL Rio Extreme. It was tough to finish with high energy. There's nothing wrong with this workout but I like all the workouts in the basic set so much that this one doesn't quite hit the mark for me. Those are all hard working funfests for me If I had done this one first maybe I would not have had such high expectations, lol. I'm taking a full rest day tomorrow.

Terrific Tuesday wishes to you all!

Old 09-29-20, 11:49 AM  
Jules

Just checking in to say I did Flexibilty & Beyond: Fountain of Youth today. Wow! This really hit all of my tight spots and I love the use of the yoga blocks. I will definitely be doing this one a lot in the future!
Old 09-29-20, 12:01 PM  
Mickey12

Jules I would also agree that your stomach issues lately are due to stress and worry. There definitely is a lot of that going around. I hope you can relax a little, but with another teacher out with Covid, I'm sure it's not easy. I am thinking of you and all the teachers out there. Sending love.

OMG, the Bryan Kest yoga routines you did are some of my absolute favorites!!! I think the second one, (is that Tone?) is my favorite. They are among my first yoga workouts and I fell in love. I know the reason I love Travis so much is because he trained under Bryan. I agree they feel a lot shorter/easier than UY routines. They feel like a great level for me. Oh, and I love Tony's yoga too. (except from P90X which is just too long, but still a great practice). Did you do the entire 1.5 hours?

Linda, don't be intimidated by Hammer and Chisel. Have you done it yet? The workouts are between 30 and 45 minutes and you can use what ever weight you want, so they're really very doable.

Have a great day, everyone.

Kim