Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-12, 11:05 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
... but I'm out too.

I can see the appeal of streaming workouts, but they're not for me. I don't have a computer in my workout room, so I'd have to ask Mr RedPanda to burn the DVDs for me, and $299 is a lot to pay for DVD-Rs I can't trade or sell later if I want to.

Plus, I'm leery of storing stuff in the cloud. What if the ISP goes out of business? What if the cloud is having a bad day? I like physical objects I can hold in my hot little hands.Ah well...

Maybe Mr Skogg will later release "The Best of Skogg Round 2" on DVD for his older fans.
That is exactly me too. No way am I shelling out that kind of money for something I'll never own

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 11:08 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
That is exactly me too. No way am I shelling out that kind of money for something I'll never own
That's what's happening with this shift toward cloud-based computing: You'll have access to everything, but you'll own nothing.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 11:28 AM  
schoolgirl-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
That's what's happening with this shift toward cloud-based computing: You'll have access to everything, but you'll own nothing.

i'm out to for this very reason.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 11:59 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlc View Post
I think we're going to see more streamed workouts, a lot more. I work in the software industry. More and more people want their information or entertainment in "the cloud". They want to be able to access it wherever, whenever and however they choose. .....
A great idea in theory but until there is better/more universal access it would be great if they offered both forms. Kat_b summed it up nicely and a lot of people are in the same boat (myself included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_b View Post
The clip played fine in my office where we have T1 lines.......

Until the majority of rural and semi-rural areas gets decent connection speed, going streaming exclusively is a bad idea. I'm reminded of this every time I have to dog sit. My parents are only 10 miles outside of Lynchburg, but can only get satellite internet (no cell service, even). My boyfriend is 2 miles from the cable line, but they won't run it down his street, so he uses mifi. It sucks so bad I go back to town to surf.

In my instance, I'm on the road mid-week, and while my city place has equipment for working out, it does NOT have internet access (I'm not paying $60 for ~16 hours a month)...
Our rural area went from analog to digital broadcasting (federal mandate) only a few years back and it has been a mess. We essentially have no TV reception now that we have been forcibly "updated". It's like trying to watch a youtube clip that never finishes loading. DVDs may go the way of VHS eventually but it will cost considerably more to put the technology in place. And in the present economy, I'm not sure that will be a priority. Maybe the Skogg people will reconsider after they read our thread. Otherwise, we have plenty of other choices when it comes to KB programs.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 01:25 PM  
Messe

I was interested in Virtual Skogg until I saw the price and tried to view the (ridiculously short IMHO) clips after registering. I don't have the highest speed home connection, but I don't have the lowest speed either, and Skogg's clips spent more time buffering than playing. If that's any indication of how the workouts would play, I'm definitely not interested. There are many other less expensive sources of good kettlebell workouts. I know a lot of people here are more interested in follow-along workouts, but honestly, most kettlebell e-books are a better deal than Virtual Skogg.

I pay $9.99/month for access to Yoga Today and rarely have a problem streaming the practices. I can also buy any practice I want for $2.99 (and have done so many times). I store them on my laptop and on a separate backup drive. I've also downloaded all (I think) of Eoin Finn's practices. They're stored in iTunes as well as in a separate file on my hard drive and on my backup drive, plus as long as Eoin's website continues to exist, I can go to my account and re-download the practices.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 02:34 PM  
Lulu Belle

I absolutely love the Skogg DVDs that I have. If a second set of discs were made then I would seriously consider purchasing them. I love Skogg as an instructor and I feel that the workouts are just fantastic.

Right now I rarely purchase new workouts, so $30 a month is a bit too much for me. I'll happily keep using what I already have.

But I hope that those who choose to buy this love it!
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 06:17 AM  
s2546

i agree with Lulu Belle. And although I know this is the future, there are many old dvds that go back to over the years such as the firm; cathe; kettlebells- so I do appreciate owning the dvd.

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 08:01 AM  
kat_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
Our rural area went from analog to digital broadcasting (federal mandate) only a few years back and it has been a mess. We essentially have no TV reception now that we have been forcibly "updated".
Going OT, but this really gripes me, too. Even in the city I lost all but one local channel (I had 16 plus the digital add ons like 7.2, 7.3). I've tried four different internal antennas including two that worked before the transition became "official" (the add ons worked until then). If everyone decides to go to hulu because of that it will serve them right.

OK, back to Skogg 2.0... Looked through the rest of the clips now that I'm back home. I did have some stuttering, but it wasn't bad. I would probably have an issue if the group was not doing what he was in a regular DVD, but it's OK in this format.
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 08:21 AM  
icebergslim

I will eventually get involved with this as my workout room is a project for this winter to change the television format so I can view live streaming, internet, etc.

I know many are resistant to this and you have a good right to be, but going forward this is the way video formats are going. DVDs will be around for a while but everything will be in virtual formats or clouds. Many have ipads, kindle fires, tablets, smartphones and all of that is cloud format. This is the way things are going. Constantly, changing....
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 08:46 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I keep getting the 20 second clips in his "stream" link. Is anyone getting anything different? They are completely useless to me. TIA!
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skogg, skogg 2, skogg kettlebell system, skogg system