Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-20, 06:48 PM  
tangerine

Kettlebell accident

I want to try some kettlebell workouts I have bookmarked, I have a kettlebell but I'm so worried about losing my grip on it and it going through the wall. I used them at the gym a while back and used to face the machines instead of the wall so that it would hit those instead of the huge plate glass windows on the walls.

Anyone ever had an accident with kettlebells or have any tips for making sure they don't fly off (besides gloves, I have those)?
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-20, 07:26 PM  
unfetteredpast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
I want to try some kettlebell workouts I have bookmarked, I have a kettlebell but I'm so worried about losing my grip on it and it going through the wall. I used them at the gym a while back and used to face the machines instead of the wall so that it would hit those instead of the huge plate glass windows on the walls.

Anyone ever had an accident with kettlebells or have any tips for making sure they don't fly off (besides gloves, I have those)?
Gravity would likely pull it straight down to the floor. It won't travel too far horizontally. I'd worry about your floor more than I would a wall.
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-20, 07:33 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Maybe watching this will give you some faith?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc8PbXV6HpY
Old 07-04-20, 09:40 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredpast View Post
Gravity would likely pull it straight down to the floor. It won't travel too far horizontally. I'd worry about your floor more than I would a wall.
Agreed! And if you want to test this theory go outside in a grassy area and lose your grip on a swing to see how far the Kettlebell travels.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-20, 10:12 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I haven’t ever dropped them but I have worried about it. I have rubber flooring so that has lessened my worry a bit. I stand well away from anything that might get hit on the off chance they slip.

I would recommend not wearing gloves though. They could actually be slicker than your bare hands. Going outside is recommended by some kettlebell instructors especially if you’re learning hand-to-hand moves. There’s also chalk for your hands but that is so messy.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 06:17 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

My hands get extremely sweaty when I use kettlebells. Several years ago I bought a block of chalk. I agree with cjayd - chalk can be messy if it's the loose kind. I remember back in the day when trainers would say to totally load up your hands with chalk, but that can actually cause blisters. I just do a couple of swipes with the block of chalk across my palms and then rub my hands together like I'm putting on lotion. It's just enough to soak up the sweat and although I do need to reapply often, it helps stop that slippery feeling and prevents blisters.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 08:09 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

They won't fly far at all. Usually it's a nearly straight drop to the ground.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 03:04 PM  
tangerine

Thank you all for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Maybe watching this will give you some faith?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc8PbXV6HpY
Here it seems like it travels horizontally with momentum from the swing, no? The wall would be my 'partner'

Quote:
Quote:
They won't fly far at all. Usually it's a nearly straight drop to the ground.
Thank, it's a carpeted floor so worst case, I'm less worried about it showing than a big dent in the wall.

Quote:

I would recommend not wearing gloves though. They could actually be slicker than your bare hands. Going outside is recommended by some kettlebell instructors especially if you’re learning hand-to-hand moves. There’s also chalk for your hands but that is so messy.
I will stay away from the gloves and chalk!

Quote:
Agreed! And if you want to test this theory go outside in a grassy area and lose your grip on a swing to see how far the Kettlebell travels.
I don't mind them dropping on the floor so I'm going to try it outdoors and see how far my kettlebells go before they fall and space myself from the wall accordingly.
Old 07-05-20, 03:06 PM  
tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
My hands get extremely sweaty when I use kettlebells. Several years ago I bought a block of chalk. I agree with cjayd - chalk can be messy if it's the loose kind. I remember back in the day when trainers would say to totally load up your hands with chalk, but that can actually cause blisters. I just do a couple of swipes with the block of chalk across my palms and then rub my hands together like I'm putting on lotion. It's just enough to soak up the sweat and although I do need to reapply often, it helps stop that slippery feeling and prevents blisters.
Wow, I haven't heard of this before...where do you buy the chalk? Is it called something specific?
Old 07-05-20, 03:38 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Wow, I haven't heard of this before...where do you buy the chalk? Is it called something specific?
Sporting goods supply? Gymnasts use it, IIRC.

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell chalk, kettlebells