Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-22-20, 01:55 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

Catching up from last week:

Sunday: I did another Barlates Triple Burn workout, Define. It was a little longer at 55 minutes and started with a very tough barre lunge set, then a very tough standing barre quad raises set, then shoulders/biceps (I added some triceps to balance out from Saturday), and then a brief but challenging abs set. I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of the Triple Burns! I really liked this one. The quads set was sooo tough and that is a muscle group I have prioritized working due to my knee.

Mon/Tues: Planned rest

Today: Firm Basics Sculpting with Weights with Tracie. I did heavier upper body on this one and was able to put a teensy about of finesse into the cardio without irritation to my knee, so yeah!

I would like to do more Firm, barre, and Triple Burn this week...

Eventmom I'm so glad you are enjoying Tonique Energy Mat/Energy Stretch!! Her 1+hour workouts are just crazy intense and I strongly prefer to break them up into bite size pieces. Even a portion of one of her workouts is a tough workout.

I really, really enjoy enjoy Power of You. It is much more manageable than many of her other workouts. There is a lot of variety, but less reps and a shorter timeframe.

Buzzer Thanks for the congrats on my house! It is a huge relief to totally have that finished, and I think the housing market has gotten worse since then with the COVID-19 challenges.

I had not thought of trying to recreate how to do the Osmo Patch but I am happy to say that the reduction in fluid has stayed and I haven't used the patches in a week at least. I still have six of them left! I have very mild pain intermittently but it is an improvement.

I'm glad you were able to safely interact with your neighbors! My DH and I went grocery shopping last night and it's always an exciting thing since we are out so rarely anymore. I wonder when/how the nation will "open back up" and balancing the safety with urgency.
Old 04-23-20, 09:26 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Upper body Trisets... DONE!

I did Cathe's weights on this one, since my upper body has always been able to handle very heavy weights. Well, except when she grabbed 20's to do bicep isolations!! I did 15's. However, she grabbed 15's on the "preacher curl" type biceps on the ball, and I grabbed 20, so it evened out

I have been using the full tallest transfirmer possible for my pushups for probably a few months, and the crazy part of my brain after the first set of pushups said "Try it with the lower!!" so I used the bottom portion, the blue portion, of the transfirmer for my pushups. I had to drop to my knees for the last few on one of the sets, but I did it!!! Not pretty, not completely, not without some in my head cussing, but I did it! I definitely pushed myself harder today than I did last time.

Oh, on one of the ab exercises she holds a weight overhead with straight arms, while laying on the ball, then does a crunch. I have found the weight useless, and just do a crunch on the ball without weights. Plus I hate when my neck burns before my abs, so I cradled my head. I like Firm abs better.

Yesterday we rode bikes, and the adults (3 of us) stood in a big circle chatting. It was so amazing!!! I can't believe how good that was. We all agreed we were going nuts and that we need to do this more often. I am glad to know I am not the only one going crazy. I am the only one with an only, and it's good to know that even Mom's with more than one are going crazy. I imagined their kids were playing together and keeping themselves entertained. They are, more than LB can do, but them being constantly in the house and around is getting on them. Plus with husbands home. I'm used to both, husband and kid home, and being entertainment, so I guess I am maybe a step ahead of them at least!!

Today we have not much planned, but it'll be good. After a few days of friends, I feel a bit more reset.

Eventmom; I'm glad they are planning a horse show. We need to get back to some familiarity.

Eventmom and Ebianco: good for you guys for doing Sylwia workouts! Holy cow, those things wanted to kill me when I tried them. Even breaking them down into parts, they want to kill me. I will stick to heavy lifting!! HA! (Eventhough I swore I would never go back to lifting heavy. I keep throwing that one back at myself)

Ebianco, I am glad that patch worked for your knee and you seem to have found relief!! Keep the other ones around for a tune up! I love that Firm basic with Tracie. I'm glad you are finding things that work for you.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 12:16 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

rest of tonique energy mat + 20 min TA cardio

ebianco - your tour of tonique review really helped, I wouldn't have figured out from preview that this would break up so easily. I cannot imagine an hour of tonique.

buzzer - glad you are finding ways to connect. OK is starting to open up but I think it's too soon. Some horse things are happening but we can easily follow social distancing rules - I mean we're on horses.

waves!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 04:03 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Today I did about 15 minutes of warm up/light cardio from Firm Vol.6 plus about 20 minutes from Barlates Apartment Fever Fusion (LOL ) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BhGEzVvBJc) and finished with Barlates 5 Best Exercises outer thigh (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-mMMzziuIv) and stretch for about a 55 minute workout.

I did really well with the light cardio yesterday, in fact my knee felt pretty great today, so I felt good taking a chance on the Firm Vol. 6 since the cardio is pretty easy going. I did the warm up and first floor cardio then two of the step cardio with no weights and on my short Zumba step. It's 4" even shorter than the 6" short part of the FL.

Linda came out with this Apartment Fever Fusion workout just a couple of days ago, it is all mat and fusion-y and the collection of exercises all looked like they would work for my knee, except for the table and some of the gliding which I took out, but still did 20 minutes of it and it was great! I wanted to really work my abs today and this workout ended up being all ab focus! She did this really interesting leg lift in a seated straddle position that was very tough and engaged the quads and abs, and then paired that with some leaning back bridges (not explaining it well) like Sylwia does except with straight legs. I assume this will be the first in a series and I look forward to what else she can come up with! The 5 best exercises outer thigh was pretty tough burnout with the heavy booty band I used.

I would like to do more Firm and Barlates this week but am kind of cooling off on Pure Barre for a while. Of course I may change my mind on that even by later this week, LOL.

Eventmom I'm so glad you found my Tonique review helpful!! Thank you!! It's too bad there's no real easy way to break up her workouts, but I feel it is worth the effort. Her workouts are really unique and challenging.

I agree it is still too soon to all out open back up. I'm glad you can organically social distance on horses!!

Buzzer I'm glad you were able to enjoy more distant socializing with your neighbors!!

I don't think I could ever use 20# for biceps LOL. I'm glad you are getting so much use out of your Transfirmer step!! That was one of my very earliest exercise props that I invested in and I use it all the time.
Old 04-24-20, 09:33 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Trisets lower body... DONE!
Abs of Steel 1 program 3... DONE!

This time, I knew I'd be sore, I knew I would feel hurried, so I took my time, paused a lot, and kept thinking "this is gonna make me sore later!!" I did a lot of the sets on my own, or did the first set if there were 2 sides on my own then played the workout again so she did both sets while I did my second one and rested!!

It was better, I think, this way this time. I am definitely gonna feel it! I used mostly 15's for the workout, and the Dixie cup parts I just touched the floor.

I added on Abs of Steel 1 program 3, and I loved it. I don't know if it's because they are good workouts, or if it's because the nostalgia of it all. These are good workouts to add on after other workouts!!

I can already feel my muscles though. I'm not sure I was 100% recovered from last time I did this workout, maybe 90%. So this time was a killer!!

Yesterday I went to the store, got so much fun food... Birthday cake cool whip! Sushi for lunch! we got our new rug for the living room delivered! 1000 darts for the nerf gun!! We were on such a high!!! Then, my Best Friend that I've known since I was 12 or 13 called... her Mom had passed away. She talked to her, her Mom said she was going to go eat lunch, then she passed away. My BF is devastated. Her Mom has had a respiratory disease for years, and it finally took her. Then my sister called, her husband has the flu. He has body aches, is sleepy and has a temp of 100.3, and his Doctor said "probably is the corona. just isolate him until at least Wednesday, don't let him come out of the room (they isolate him in) until he is symptom free for 72 hours." THEN, LB went to the church with DH to video our Pastor doing his Sunday Sermon, and she put her iPad into a bag with her coconut water, and the coconut water wasn't closed well and soaked her iPad.

With the death (I talked to her about it because she knows my BF and her Mom), the fact that she is going to visit my sister today for an overnight (we have all been heavily quarantined, so I am not worried), my other sister's husband, then her iPad.... we both had a really good cry before bed. Oh, PLUS she saw a centipede in the bath, which I have never seen one in the house before, so she was freaked out about that. Poor girl. She was just flooded with emotions! Plus we were up until about 10pm crying and trying to calm down from it all, so she was so tired which made things bigger. I am actually surprised she didn't crawl in bed with us last night, but she may have just been too tired.

So our party day ended on a really down note. sigh.

Today I am taking her to my sisters. My sister has been quarantined with her husband and two adult kids (boys, 22 and 20), and she is so lonely. LB is going over for a visit to ride bikes, shoot air softs and nerfs, hang out with my sister and be a companion. I feel good about it knowing how holed up they have been like we have, both her and her husband are even working from home. It'll give me a break, LB a break, and my sister a break!!

Eventmom: They keep extending the stay at home orders ("shelter in place") every time the deadline comes up. I hope you get to do the horse show, just to get out and do something!! Hopefully they don't do the same thing to you guys as they are doing to us!! I think those of us that can stay home and still shelter in place as much as possible, should. Those that need to work, need to work. Too many people are losing everything in this. I will still stay at home as much as possible, even if they lift the restrictions.

I don't think anyone will go back to what they were doing, most people will still quarantine themselves and social distance voluntarily! But man, we have got to get our business back open. It's much different as a business owner than it is as an employee still getting a check.

Ebianco: my head was spinning when you said the cardio in Vol 6 is easy going!! HA! I think I need to redo that one, because I don't remember any part of it being easy going.

I love my transfirmer, and the Fanny Lifter!! I had gotten a club step from goodwill, and I was so excited. It ended up taking up so much space, was clunky and awkward and big. I donated it (something I NEVER thought I would do!) and now I will always just use my transfirmer and Fanny Lifter. Best investments ever!!

I haven't heard about apartment fever fusion, but I love the title!! HA! It's both funny and kinda sad. I feel so bad for people living in downtown in high rise apartments, sharing air, especially if they don't have a balcony. That title makes me think she is thinking of them too!!

Glad your knee is doing so well. Going to the Doc right now would stink, and trying to live with a bum knee stinks too. I hope it stays on the track of "doing great!!"
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-24-20, 02:25 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA 15 min goop + 10 lower body express + TA popstar. Rode 2 horses.

ebianco - glad you are able to get in some cardio and keep you knee is good shape. I'm worried that by opening up now things will resurge and be worse.

buzzer - so sorry about your friend's mom, that is really tough. and LB's ipad, oh no! sounds like a rough day. glad LB slept through the night hopefully today will be better.
Old 04-24-20, 06:59 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday!

Today was Firm Tough Tape 2, one of my absolute favorites. Sometimes I wish it had been a little longer and had ab work, but other times it feels long/tough enough at 45 minutes without the abs. Since I worked my abs good yesterday, I was pleased with the workout as is today. I am noticing that I need to up my weights lately. A couple of weeks ago I went up to my 20# for bent rows, and now I'm picking up my 12s instead of 10s for military press. I tried 20# for french press and it was too much, so I've been doing 15# and an elastic band for extra resistance and that's been working well.

Tomorrow another Barlates, something else dynamic that is knee friendly, then probably a Firm or more Barlates on Sunday.

Eventmom I'm glad you were able to ride two horses!! I agree that if we reopen too soon, it will cause a resurgence with the virus. I know people out of work are suffering. I agree with Buzzer that people should stay home if they can or work if they need to. But hopefully things will also just become safer with time.

Buzzer I'm saddened to hear about the death of your BF's mom. And the emotional day with LB. I used to have a mild centipede problem in the basement, and they are super scary

So the cardio in Volume 6 is easy to me but keeping in mind I was not using any weights (since the cardio is slower you can kind of heavy up) and I wasn't doing those crazy hard hover squats or leg press set in between In the past I have heavier up with weights and it was more intense.

Yeah I am glad I don't have to worry about nearby neighbors because I turn the volume way up when I work out And of course back when I wasn't modifying, I was jumping all over, it would have been a big problem. My knee is still doing exceptionally well. Like, it is almost feeling normal. Almost like the light cardio I have incorporated is actually restorative?! That makes me feel so hopeful and excited. Hoping it lasts!!
Old 04-25-20, 05:57 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA perfect design 1

I got up, ate and did our walmart run - dh has been doing the grocery. I gloved and masked and went early. The TP aisle was basically full! But wt heck - the type of excedrin I like was gone, didn't get anything else, came home that stuff not around on line either! Anyway, got some necessities, came home and realized why i workout first thing just hard to get motivated after running around.

ebianco - I have 3 horses but one is our pony that my daughter rode when she was younger - I try to keep the other 2 in work as one really needs the mileage but it's tough with work. great progress on your knee!

hi buzzer!
Old 04-27-20, 01:07 PM  
Buzzer

Cathe upper body trisets... DONE!

for some reason today I focused more and it was so hard!! I used the weights I did before, but with the focus it just was more difficult. I paused on the pushups and slowed them down so I could do more full range, I paused for the alternating chest fly because the first set she says she did 16 but she counted each side as 1, instead of 1 being both sides done. so I did an actual 16 reps on each side. I tried to do 20 on the one arm preacher curl, and grabbed both 20's and did a full on preacher curl instead of one side at a time. so the second set, while she did the other side, I grabbed a 12 and did a second "burnout" type set of preacher curls. My upper body is spent!!

I was cleaning out some stuff in my workout room yesterday, and found my workout logs from 1999. It was kinda cool, because I even wrote notes and sometimes wrote down funny things that were happening at the gym that day. It was fun to see what I was up to!! I was working at a supplement company called EAS, so I was trying to do his "Body For Life" program, which lasted all of maybe a month or two before I was bored. it was a LOT of sets and took a lot of time. Hard to do in a gym.

I was reminiscing about another program I did after that, which was written in an "week A, week B, week C" form, with a split written out for each week. I remember that. It was fun to see!! I was lifting heavy at that time, but not as heavy as I ended up at a few years later. All that gym lifting made me go so heavy for a while.

Anyhow, it was fun to remember how my workouts made me feel. For some reason, I had forgotten about that. One of the workouts, after a good delt workout, I wrote "I felt like I was going to miss my mouth with my water bottle." I remember that! Huh. I remember that.

So LB had fun at her Aunts. She spent about 48 hours there, which was good for all of us. She slept in today, and is getting back into her groove. DH has to go to the office this week, which I think is odd because before this virus he went maybe 2 or 3 days total. Now he has to go every week all week every 3 weeks. So he has to be there more now than he was when things were healthy!! he's wearing his mask, they are practicing social distancing, and hopefully he will go out on their patio and work in the sunshine. It's a beautiful day today!!

Eventmom: I'm glad you got to ride. So I went to my mailbox yesterday, and I thought "what did I send out that came back????" Then I realized you just reused my envelope!! HA! I got it!! Thank you so much!!

I go to the grocery store early too when I go. That way things are stocked and sanitized. Plus there seems to be less people. I usually go about 10:30 so I can take some time to workout though! I used to workout at 3pm, I even worked out at 7pm every night for a while, but now if I don't do it in the morning, I lose my motivation. I never thought I would like working out in the morning!!! I think the last time I worked out in the morning was when I was probably in my mid 20's and worked out to Margaret and a show on PBS called "Home Improvement". I really liked that lady. I taped her workouts but sadly when I got married I sold them as just VHS tapes for someone to tape over at a garage sale. Still mad at myself for that one.

Ebianco: Yay for knee pain staying away!! I was thinking of you today with your tough tape seeming good some days and too long others as I was doing Cathe today. Today it seemed like the workout took forever! It wasn't that long the last few times I've done it. HA! Isn't that weird.

Wednesday is the funeral for my BF's Mom, and I am going to watch her baby for her . Well, not a baby anymore, she's 15 months old!! She's a walker!! I"m excited to see her, but not excited for my poor BF. She was so close to her Mom, and I am so sad for her that she couldn't see her for a month before she passed. Normally she went there for dinner every week. I know that will haunt her for the rest of her life
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-27-20, 02:12 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - callanetics express lower body & christi taylor mission possible
today - kathy smith project you upper body + caribbean aerobics

so my first world problem of the day is that we let our cleaning lady come, I put our sheets in the washing machine so she wouldn't make the bed (didn't want her touching the bedding) came in and she had swapped all the laundry and made the bed. so I put on my mask and stripped the entire freaking bed and grabbed the extra blankets etc.. I know she was trying to a good job and she really appreciates that we've paid her this entire time but I did not want her messing with the bedding and I stay outside waiting on her and didn't want her here that long. sigh. like I said, first world problem for sure.

buzzer - yeah I grabbed an envelope to mail the callanetics and was like, are you kidding yep gotta use that one LOL. glad it finally made it! so sorry about your friend. My dad is out of the hospital but in some care facility so my step sister can't even visit. I usually go to AZ in June but right now I don't want to fly - so my brainstorm is to hook up horse trailer (has a small living quarters) and drive myself and sleep in my horse trailer. May happen don't know.

hi ebianco