Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How often to you replace your workout shoes?
0 - 6 months 5 8.47%
6 months -1 year 17 28.81%
1 year - 2 years 22 37.29%
3 years or more 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-19, 04:27 PM  
kristiep

I have 5 pairs that I rotate. I got most of them a few years ago when there were tons of sales on Ryka Influence so I won't be buying any for awhile. I never wear them outside and only for working out so they should last me awhile.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 04:52 PM  
Vantreesta

I didn't vote bc my answer doesn't fit the options. I replace my walking shoes when my feet or knees start to hurt (I walk 3-6 miles most days with my dogs). I replace my running shoes around 300 miles. For indoor workouts I only wear shoes for machines (treadmill, elliptical etc) or step. I have several pairs and only wear them inside, no idea when I past replaced any of those.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 06:29 PM  
wendug

Well I didn't choose great options for this poll! I'm not a runner and didn't consider replacing shoes based on mileage ran. But I am enjoying reading your responses. I'm also wondering for those that work out barefoot, do you lift weights while barefoot? I would be afraid of dropping a weight on my foot!
Old 09-22-19, 06:46 PM  
Vantreesta

Wendy, I do lift weights and do kettlebells barefoot. It took a bit of adjusting bc my dad taught us to always wear shoes when lifting weights! I basically just wear shoes if the surface my feet touch would be uncomfortable like the step or rower, that kind of thing. It's hit or miss whether I wear them for plyos.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 07:25 PM  
lizh

I do all my workouts barefoot even step. Someone on this forum gave me the idea and I'm so happy I made the change.
Thanks
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 08:26 PM  
Lannette

I’m another mostly barefoot gal. I voted 6 months to a year because I keep a pair of shoes in our gym for workouts where I feel that I should wear them.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 08:45 PM  
rhbrand

Depends. Like my shoes I lift in, they are ok cause I only wear them for squats/leg day. I've had them like 3 years now.

But the shoes I wear to walk in, I wear out much quicker. So I get a new pair every 9-12 months depending.
Old 09-22-19, 09:22 PM  
mtngoat

I have outdoor walking shoes, hiking boots, kettlebell flat shoes, and my workout shoes. My workout shoes are only used for (non-kettlebell) workouts. I buy new workout shoes about every 2 years, I'd say. I'm lucky in that I wear my shoes out fairly evenly (I have extremely high arches/insteps, so very little of my foot actually touches the ground.)

Reading some of the other comments I wonder if I shouldn't be changing them more often. I wonder if this could account for some of my foot/leg pain?

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-19, 06:28 AM  
killoffsonny

I don't do a lot of working out in shoes .....just the occasional walking on the treadmill or outside 3-4 times a month and yet it seems like I need to buy new ones every six months. I think its an age thing. When I was younger I did step twice a week and walked two or miles twice a week and they would last six months to a year.
Old 09-23-19, 07:41 AM  
owltx

I struggle with plantar fasciitis and for me old shoes can be a trigger. I write in sharpie on the bottom of the shoe the first day I wear them, and try to be diligent about replacing them every 6-8 months.

Tags
shoes, sneakers, workout shoes