Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-20, 08:07 AM  
Thenu

Never heard of that brand. I was also wearing ASICS nimbus for running for a long time , started with nimbus 12 I think. Didn’t like the past few upgrades Of nimbus and got a Hoka Bondi 6 and really liked it. Never would I have known about Hoka if I hadn’t been to a local shoe store.
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 09:52 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Linda,

I have worn Asics for YEARS, only because they seem to be the most cushioned when I try them on. I have dabbled with different brands here and there (Brooks, Hoka, New Balance), but I pretty much go back to Asics. It seems like the cushioning breaks down quicker than it used to. The big thing seems to be getting the shoes as light as possible and I don't know if they are using different material or what. I also don't like the material used for the uppers (I'm talking all brands, not just asics).

I haven't been truly happy with a pair of fitness shoes in more years than I can count. The last ones I absolutely loved were Etonic and as far as I can tell, they don't make shoes anymore.

Kim
Kim, before I had Asics I had a pair of Brooks and New Balance that I loved. Never have found any that fit me quite like those.

I have been looking at Hoka and On Cloud. If you're telling me I'll be unhappy with the cushioning giving up quickly then sounds like Hoka may not be worth the investment. :-(

Thanks for others here piping up with other brands that I can add to the mix. Sitting in the store trying to decide among too many choices gives me a headache!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 10:11 AM  
Thenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Kim, before I had Asics I had a pair of Brooks and New Balance that I loved. Never have found any that fit me quite like those.

I have been looking at Hoka and On Cloud. If you're telling me I'll be unhappy with the cushioning giving up quickly then sounds like Hoka may not be worth the investment. :-(

Thanks for others here piping up with other brands that I can add to the mix. Sitting in the store trying to decide among too many choices gives me a headache!
Linda, I am not Kim but thought I would chime in since you are looking for answers sitting in the store. I think kim is talking about ASICS cushioning giving up and not Hoka. I have used this Hoka Bondi for more than 150 miles , still no sign of cushion breaking.

I am a slight under pronator and need neutral cushioned shoes. ASICS nimbus was the only brand that would work for me (concluded that after trying brooks, mizuno, saucony and new balance). Since the cushioning and toe space is not that good in the previous 2 versions of nimbus , decided to try Hoka Bondi. So far it seems to work well for my feet.

(Edited to add) anyone looking to convert from ASICS nimbus to Hoka , it will take some time to adjust but it is worth it in terms of drop. Heel to toe drop of nimbus is 13 mm which would force you to become a heel striker whereas Hoka has 4 mm drop which would result in less injury. This is the link that used to understand shoe drop and how to prevent injuries https://www.zappos.com/c/what-is-heel-to-toe-drop . I don’t know if I am a heel striker or 12 years of using ASICS Nimbus made me into one, I was having ankle injuries most of the time.
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 12:22 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

Linda, yeah, probably don’t listen to my advice. I guess I don’t have any specific complaints about Hoka shoes. It’s just that I can’t truly rave about any shoes I have tried in recent years. Sorry if I misled your quest.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 01:30 PM  
Erica H.

I've heard great things about Hoka.

I recently bought Topo running shoes for the first time and am very happy with them. They feel great and are wearing very well.

I usually wear Brooks (which I love) or Asics (mixed).

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes, sneakers, workout shoes