Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-06, 07:24 PM  
antbuko

Hi Donna, not sure why you couldn't post a new thread. Try it again in GD as you might get more answers to your Joyce questions. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe dumbbells and maybe a mat are all you need for Definition.
Old 11-25-06, 07:52 PM  
Mandy

Definition

With Joyce Definition workout, you need 3 sets of dumbells and you can use your step for a bench. just make sure you can make it go on an incline. you know, by taking out 1 riser on one side.
This workout is very fast so start off with light weights like 2,3,4 lbs . Even though its lighter weights, it still works the muscle hard. The true pyramid system is tough stuff.
Thats all the equipment.
Old 11-26-06, 03:18 PM  
kornstar

Thankyou for your help, Helen and Mandy.
kornstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 10:11 AM  
buffmama

old thread revival

In trying to understand all Joyce's workouts it helps when I look at the levels of Weight Training Made Easy and the list of her workouts with the level they are.

Level 1 - 3 sets of 10 reps
Level 2 - pyramids - most strength gains
Level 3 - supersets within body parts
Level 4 - supersets between body parts (therefore can go heavier, pairs non complimentary muscles)

Level 1 - 12 min workout
Level 2 - Now or Never, Top Shape (no hips, has total body workout) - about 1 hour each
Level 3 - College Dorm Workout, Toning for Teens, Fat Burning workout, Definitions (has total body workout) - each workout is harder than the one before since it has more exercises per body part
Level 4 - Bottoms Up, Bathing Suit Workout
Abs - Gut Busters, Bottoms Up Middle

Hope that helps anyone as confused as I was! Feel free to add in any workouts I left out.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 03:08 PM  
Mandy

Don't forget Giant sets. Supersets work 2 muscle groups. Where Giant sets is 3 or more exercises in a set.
Giant set between body parts: Fast Forward(although day 3 abs are done in giant set "within" the same muscle group:abs), Speedynonstop, Nonstop, Cougar, Bathingsuit, Just Arms, Just Bra roll Boobs, Quick Quartet
Giant set within the same body part: Toning for Teens, Fat Burning, Just Butt, Gut love handle pooch busters, Just thighs

Top Shape is unique in that she sometimes will use pyramid for 1 muscle group and then she will superset. For Top Shape/Now or Never, the thighs are unique in that she does pyramid 1 exercise and then she will giant set the next exercise like squats, calves and then squats. The thighs and abs are worked in giant sets too.

Superset in the same muscle group is Definition
Supersetting different muscle groups is Bottoms Up Gold Plus and Weight Training made easier

Full pyramid(12,10,8,10,12 reps) Definition and Just Arms and Just Thighs

Can you tell I love these workouts?
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 07:53 PM  
buffmama

Thanks Mandy! I will add those workouts in. I still need the grid-type arrangement for it to make sense to me.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 08:58 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Reviving this thread and subbing to it! Really a great one!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 09:04 PM  
Betty Boop

Great idea! Thanks!
Old 07-25-14, 06:58 AM  
jerebo

Glad to see this thread revived. I had a few of Joyce's books several years ago and enjoyed working out to them; the workouts were pretty time efficient, if I recall--and didn't call for lots of equipment. However, I got rid of all of those books when I got more into NROL-style weights. Now, however, I think I want to go back.

But my memory of the book workouts is a bit weak. Can anyone here tell me which of the following has 1) the most time efficient workouts, 2) the most effective for fat loss?

Fat Burning Workout
Bottoms Up
Definition
Weight Training Made Easy

I'd plan to do a two-day split and workout four days a week (maybe even six if the workout left time for some short cardio afterwards).

TIA!
Old 07-25-14, 10:53 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebo View Post
Can anyone here tell me which of the following has 1) the most time efficient workouts, 2) the most effective for fat loss?

Fat Burning Workout
Bottoms Up
Definition
Weight Training Made Easy

I'd plan to do a two-day split and workout four days a week (maybe even six if the workout left time for some short cardio afterwards).

TIA!
Time efficient: Fat Burning and Definition (especially if you do a modified, rather than full, pyramid with Definition)
Fat loss: Not sure about this one, although I'd guess if you used light enough weights to increase the cardio effect, then Fat Burning and Definition would probably work best. That said, I did use Bottoms Up exclusively (the DVD, though, not the book) a few years ago for upper body work, and my arms never looked better.

Bottoms Up and WTME are similar in that you superset between body parts. So they are easy to interchange. I'm also planning a two-day split four days a week, with a total body at the end of the week and core work in the middle.

Hope that helps!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, everything, everything joyce vedral, joyce vedral, momentum, now or never, top shape