Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-13, 10:15 AM  
lorajc

Yoga & Health Ailments?

Hi, I have sinusitis (severe with polyps) and was just wondering if there are any specific practices that would help me? I know that yoga (in general) seems to help.

Also, I recently (Jan) had a titanium plate placed in my wrist for a bad fracture in my wrist, and the other day I did a yoga dvd where they did wrist stretches, turn your wrists this way and stretch back, etc......do you think this is okay for me to do?

Right now, I'm out of doctor care. My injury was Jan 21. I was told I was healed a month or so ago but told I should still not put full weight on my wrist, but what about stretching? Anyone have similar experiences?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:59 AM  
Sophie

I can't answer your specific questions about the wrist as surely it is dependent on the plate placement and degree of healing, and regarding sinusitis, it can be very variable depending on which sinuses, how well they still drain, etc. As with most things, it will come down to individual experimentation. I think that non-weight bearing stretching that helps restore range of motion would be helpful, though.

You might be interested in this book as a resource, though:

Yoga as Medicine

which addresses numerous health issues and give suggested poses.

For wrist stuff, I really like very gentle, passive work, and this book:

Conquering Carpal Tunnel and other RSI

which is useful even for NON-carpal tunnel sufferers. The stretches are very, very gentle.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-13, 02:38 PM  
lorajc

Anyone else with comments on sinus issues and yoga?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 10:28 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

You might try acupressure for your sinuses. I have found it very helpful for headaches and neck soreness. There are specific pressure points for sinus issues. Here is more info:

http://www.acupressure.com/blog/?p=1748

As for wrist issues, JB Berns Freedom Restoration (aka Rehab Your Body at Home) has a good Hand & Wrist section (See cardiomama's review on this page):

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...iew.php?id=152

Also, Lee Holden has some Qi Gong DVDs that have nice wrist mobility exercises. I think the Qi Gong for Joints & Bones one has a wrist section.

http://www.exercisetoheal.com/

Yoga is hard on the wrists, so that wouldn't be my first choice. And I think that the forward bends in yoga would be murder on sinuses.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 10:36 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Have you tried a neti pot? It is actually an ancient yoga practice and I find it very effective for relieving sinus congestion.
http://www.yogajournal.com/health/93

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 10:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I find that just generally doing yoga and moving my body around and having my head in different positions - forward, back, side to side - helps unclog my sinuses. Depending on how badly they are clogged. If I'm in the throes of an allergy attack or sinus infection I don't want to move my head at all.

Alternate nostril breathing can help with painful issues in the head and sinus cavities.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 02:03 PM  
loverly7

I second the Neti Pot. I resisted trying it for so many years, and when I finally tried it I wished I had not suffered more than necessary all those years. I highly recommend it and my allergies are about as bad as they get.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sinus remedies, wrist issues