Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-13, 12:35 PM  
EnglishIvy

I get the best results by far with heavy splits but there just aren't many good updated programs available. I don't want the high rep stuff or cardio mixed in either and that's mostly what is out there currently (unless you are in to paper workouts). I've tried to like KCM but I just don't. I don't care for her choice of moves and she tends to move faster so I just can't lift as heavy with her as I do with Cathe etc. I would love a time efficient splits program and don't know why instructors don't see a niche for that with regards to heavy lifting. I actually had hoped XTrain would fill the bill but no such luck. I've been using Cathe's Pure Strength and modifying to shorter workouts. I still get good results with that because there is time to lift heavy. It could use some updating to weave more core workout into the mix but for me it works better than the other options that have been listed. I'll probably re-visit Slow &Heavy and do the same thing.I really wish Cathe (or anybody with less "showmanship" than Chalean) would film a 30 minute splits program. STS time crunch would be great, with less equipment maybe.

FYI, the Kirsch program (7 day RX) is nice but it is definitely a lighter weight program.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 01:20 PM  
momofcha

What about STS Total Body?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 01:29 PM  
Rose Ohio

I would love a Cathe STS Timecrunch series. I am enjoying Xtrain but feel there is too much lower body emphasis and not enough upper body. I am doing her 90 Day Undulating Rotation but think I will move workouts around a bit. I really like STS but it is equipment heavy and most are an hour long, which is rather long for some days.

RoseOhio

Last edited by Rose Ohio; 03-07-13 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Rose Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 02:34 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
What about STS Total Body?
I like the STS Total Body but I get better results with splits. I tend to work individual body parts harder and can put more into it when I focus on fewer muscles. I also can tolerate limited areas of soreness better with regards to my work schedule. And I think I remember looking at the premixes on this one and not really finding a good split. I should go back and take a look. Cathe has some great premix options on her various weight programs but they are generally too long. She rarely gives time saver options that are my idea of short/efficient workouts. Since she often has 1hr+ workouts , her idea of short is almost never less than 45-50 minutes. I really need something in the half hour range. CLX excels in that regard but Chalean is tough to tolerate in regular doses. She also over-works the shoulders IMHO.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 03:07 PM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
I like the STS Total Body but I get better results with splits. I tend to work individual body parts harder and can put more into it when I focus on fewer muscles. I also can tolerate limited areas of soreness better with regards to my work schedule. And I think I remember looking at the premixes on this one and not really finding a good split. I should go back and take a look. Cathe has some great premix options on her various weight programs but they are generally too long. She rarely gives time saver options that are my idea of short/efficient workouts. Since she often has 1hr+ workouts , her idea of short is almost never less than 45-50 minutes. I really need something in the half hour range. CLX excels in that regard but Chalean is tough to tolerate in regular doses. She also over-works the shoulders IMHO.
Have you tried Trisets from LIS? This set has some really nice upper/lower splits and is pretty time efficient (I want to say 30 minutes but I think it runs longer with the WU/CD.) I know some people have said they do not like this workout, but I really like it. You can go pretty heavy.

Speaking of Xtrani, my problem with the workouts is that it feels too much like "a little of this, a little of that." I know that's what many people seem to want these days, but it's difficult to get in a serious lifting session if you are not repeating exercises/sets.

I hated Body Beast - Sagi was too caveman like for me, personally, LOL.
Old 03-07-13, 03:20 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
I get the best results by far with heavy splits but there just aren't many good updated programs available. I don't want the high rep stuff or cardio mixed in either and that's mostly what is out there currently (unless you are in to paper workouts). I've tried to like KCM but I just don't. I don't care for her choice of moves and she tends to move faster so I just can't lift as heavy with her as I do with Cathe etc. I would love a time efficient splits program and don't know why instructors don't see a niche for that with regards to heavy lifting. I actually had hoped XTrain would fill the bill but no such luck. I've been using Cathe's Pure Strength and modifying to shorter workouts. I still get good results with that because there is time to lift heavy. It could use some updating to weave more core workout into the mix but for me it works better than the other options that have been listed. I'll probably re-visit Slow &Heavy and do the same thing.I really wish Cathe (or anybody with less "showmanship" than Chalean) would film a 30 minute splits program.
Amen! I don't get why this is so hard for instructors to do. A workout can be effective without 45 minutes of zillions of reps from ten different angles.

Some mavericks on Youtube, like this guy, are offering shorter, simpler workouts. I'm also looking forward to reviews of the heavy weights workout on Mike Donavanik's new DVD. (And yes, I keep wearing out old videos like Firm Tough Tape and Cathe's PS. Another good upper body split is from the original Body Max.)

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 04:16 PM  
desderata

I'll try Trisets. I am actually thinking about getting rid of my CLX because although it's a great system I just can't stand Chalene any more.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 04:32 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Is Met-Rx too long?https://www.metrx180.com/index.htm?u...tm_campaign=HP
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 07:17 PM  
katmom

Despite Frank Sepa telling you to lift slow, they move pretty fast in Met-Rx 180 which was the main reason I returned the set. Some of the workouts are longer than 50 minutes.

Tags
clx, met-rx, met-rx 180