Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-23-20, 08:50 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was - back to Pahla:

Low Impact Cardio & Dynamic Weights - this was kettleblell inspired and I got quite sweaty from it!

Yoga w/ Kassandra - Morning Yin Stretch - which was perfect after Pahla's workout.

Yesterday my DD and i walked - so that was good - I got my steps in.

Dana - Yikes, it seems like all of that happens in bunches sometimes.

Carol - we were workout twins! I used my 5lb Firm Kbell for it. That was good enough. I hope that she does more in this style in the future.

well, must run....late start today.....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 08:08 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Monday's workouts were

Pahla B - Recovery Walk - 20 minutes;
Jessica Valant - 10 Minute Pilates Challenge #6(Cardio Pilates)

Pahla's Recovery Walk was one of the 30 day Weight Loss workouts that she did back in January - mainly walking with some intervals of light dynamic stretching. Easy peasy after Sunday's kettlebell work.

Jessica's Day 6 routine was more challenging - not impossible, but probably the most difficult one yet. I need to keep a rolled up towel handy for rollups and see if it helps.

Donna - Nice job! I enjoyed Pahla's kettlebell-style workout as well.

Waves to all ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 08:54 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Quick post:

Natalie Spadaccino - Sculpt & Flow - this is a new on on Ellen's streaming site,Natalie has been a guest instructor previously and released a few DVDs of her own. Her style is like Ellen's but she often incorporates a lot of balance movements into her workouts and this one was no exception.

Jessica Valent - Strong and Fun Pilates Routine - this one was enjoyable, it moved at a good pace which is what i like about Jessica's routines! The pace works for me, it isn't so slow that I'm watching the clock, but not so fast that my form suffers.

Carol - I almost did that workout, but felt my foot needed a rest from walking or walking type movements and it is feeling better today. I haven't been walking my dogs as much to let it rest. On a positive note, I did notice that my balance is improved after working w/ Pahla so often this year - I think her stuff is sneaky - it all adds up - at the time you are doing her workouts, they sometimes don't feel they are enough - but I think there is a definite cumulative effect to them.

Hope everyone has a good day - sorry for the quick post, it is one of those mornings here.

Donna
Old 11-25-20, 08:43 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was one of my favorites:

Ellen - Fat Burning Fusion

I added on:

Jessica Valent - 10 Day Pilates Challenge - Upper Back Pilates - I can't remember what "day" it is on the challenge, but this one is a good one for those of us who sit at a desk all day. I like the way Jessica fuses Pilates and PT.

So....I'm tempted by the Barre 3 deal - but I'm trying to talk sense into myself, LOL. I have to really consider how much I would use it. Right now I'm pretty content w/ Pahla B., Jessica V. and Ellen. I'm not sure how I would fit in B3.

Although it is such a good deal.....I think it is FOMO more than anything else.

Carol - I know there were changes made to B3 last year that many people did not appreciate - do you know if they have changed anything? Are the new B3 workouts very different from the "old" B3 workouts?

I'm also still on the fence about renewing Trifecta Pilates - I got a discounted price last year that carries into renewals, but that is one I like but don't reach for that often. Honestly, I can probably make do with her You Tube channel.

Anyway - first world problems!

I will likely get Jessica Smith's newest DVDs as well as anything else she puts out.

My foot is feeling better, I have purposefully been trying to avoid stressing it out, so I have curtailed my outdoor walks, which isn't great, but hopefully will be just temporary.

Hope everyone has a good day! I'm off this afternoon through Friday. Woo hoo!

Donna
Old 11-25-20, 09:06 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Yesterday's workouts were

Pahla B - Simple, Essential Strength Training Workout for Women Over 50 - 25 minutes;
Jessica Valant - 10 Minute Pilates Challenge #7(Arm Workout with no Equipment)

This was a nice strength training workout done "Pahla-Style" from Pahla. No cardio moves in this one, but it does get your heart rate up a bit. I used mostly my 4 lb weights - Pahla used 5's - but picked up my 5's for a few of the moves. There were probably 10 or 12 moves - 40 seconds each, with 10 second rests - and you repeated the circuit twice. A new to me fairly recent Pahla workout.

I did not enjoy Jessica's pilates arm work very much. Too much time spent on my hands - I have pretty bad arthritis in both of my thumbs that makes putting continued weight on my hands painful. Not to mention the arthritis in my wrists...

Donna - Nice job with your workouts! Natalie is very balance-oriented - I remember how hard one of her DVDs was because of all the balance work in it. And yes, Pahla works one's balance a lot in somewhat sneaky ways. It's funny, she was just talking about the cumulative effects of her workouts (and anyone else's workouts) in the video I did yesterday. I can use all that balance practice. My balance has definitely gotten worse as I've aged.

Lots of streaming decisions to be made in the next few weeks! I may do the Barre3 annual subscription. Yes, they changed things up for a while and got more woo-wooey than they already were - not sure exactly how that is possible, but that's what everyone said - but they changed back to more normal woo-wooeyness and folks are happier. Edited to add: I went to Barre3's website and read some of the instructor interviews in their "magazine". They are just too WOKE for me. It oozes out of their pores. It's like a secular religion. Please slap me on the hand if I say I'm going to subscribe to their streaming again. No, hit me with a baseball bat.

I'm also thinking about doing Jessica's annual subscription and cancelling Smriti's. I've done hers for almost 2 years now and it's time for a change. I would have a hard time doing a pilates subscription like Trifecta Pilates or Pilates Anytime where the workouts were consistently long. I just get bored.

Enjoy your time off! I've had the week off and all I've gotten done is leaf raking.

Carol
Old 11-26-20, 08:26 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Pahla B - Steady State Cardio - Running Meditation - Gratitude - I did this one on the bike rather than walking/running in place or using the treadmill. I find I enjoy doing her running workouts on the bike. In this one she talked about gratitude and did a meditation where you thought about a part of your body and why you were grateful for it. It went like this Even though my X is Y, I'm grateful for it because of Z. I also heard the longest periods of silence ever on a Pahla B video in this one - as she would make the statement and then she was quiet while we thought about it. I don't mind Pahla's chattiness, obviously, since I do her workouts pretty regularly, but it was interesting hearing the silence! LOL!

Jessica Valent - Pilates Tabata - this was a Pilates routine done in a Tabata format 20 seconds on/10 seconds off. She did Planks, Bridge work, abs and lower body using this format.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Yoga for Chefs - this was a nice short practice. Her digestion practice was up for today but I decided it would be better left for tomorrow. Chef is more appropriate for today, LOL!

Hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving, however you are celebrating it (or not) this year.

Carol - I do like Jessica's site - she offers a bit of variety and the pacing and length or her workouts is good for me. She does have some tutorials on her site about how to do work on your hands - but I'm not sure how helpful those suggestions would be if you have arthritis. Her price is reasonable too.

And, LOL on the B3 - I think I have talked myself out of it as well. I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify even the reduced yearly cost....I'd rather subscription hop, honestly, a month here and there - I am still considering cancelling Trifecta, I haven't used it enough to justify even the reduced price.

I was thinking about cancelling Faithful workouts - but I think a year is only $35, since I signed up during a special and sometimes, you just need a dose of Michelle in your life, LOL! and $35 for a year is reasonable, even if I did one workout a month...

I think for tomorrow I'm going to do whatever is up next in Pahla's play list. I'm loosely following the Weight loss playlist for this week.

waves --

Donna
Old 11-26-20, 08:28 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Wednesday's workouts were

Suzanne Bowen Fitness - Bounce Upper Body with Weights - 20 minutes & Advanced Upper Body Core - 12 minutes

I've been kind of draggy & sore the last couple of days, so I decided to take it a little easier. Wonder if it's from Pahla's workouts? Suzanne's workouts weren't easy though, just challenging in a different way. Both routines were new to me - in lieu of a trampoline, I did the Bounce workout on the floor with a light jog and 2 lb dumbbells. It was plenty tough without the trampoline, but I can see that the trampoline would make it much harder because of the instability.

The Advanced Upper Body Core was mainly plank work and variations. I took a few breathers. I did not add on Jessica's pilates routine because I thought it would be overkill - Day 8 was more upper back work. I'll do it today.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Carol
Old 11-26-20, 09:52 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Happy Thanksgiving!

After a week of inactivity it was time for me to just get off my butt and do something. Inactivity just leads to more inactivity and inevitable aches and pains. So, this morning I did:

Leslie 3 MM - 45min
Fabulous 50s 30min Fat Burning Walk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm578dFXo6k&t=1029s

I really liked this Fab 50's walk. I've seen her channel before but this was the first workout of hers I did. Perfect alternative to Pahla and without the constant chatter. This workout is a part of 14 Day Challenge. Here is the calendar: https://fabulous50s.com/wp-content/u...E-DAY-8-v2.pdf

Waves to all!
Old 11-26-20, 09:59 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I see that Jessica Valant opened her membership but I'm not seeing any specials. I seem to recall that at least in years past she offered a special on January 1st? There's no rush for me to join right now then, and I'll wait and see if she offers an incentive for the New Year.
Old 11-27-20, 08:29 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Turkey Day workouts were

2 30 minute walks - one with dogs and one without;
Jessica Valant - 10 Minute Pilates Challenge #8(Upper Back Workout & Stretch)

I took it easy, but with a purpose. The scheduled workout on Saturday on Suzanne's Countdown to Christmas calendar is a walk and we are supposed to have cold and snowy weather on Saturday so I just flip-flopped Days 2 and 4. Jessica's upper back workout was fine. I had almost talked myself out of subscribing, but her site is considerably cheaper than Smriti's, so I'm thinking I will make the switch.

Dana - good to see you moving and posting. You are exactly right - inactivity (at least at my age) just leads to more inactivity and stiffness for me. I'm off to check out your YouTube find.

Donna - I'm in the middle of an annual Faithful Workouts subscription, so no need to make a decision about it now. I do like Michelle, although you are right, her workouts can start to feel similar.

No Black Friday shopping here for us. I did see lots of gatherings yesterday when I was out walking, despite frantic pleas for gatherings not to occur. Not terribly surprised there.

Carol