Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-19, 02:59 PM  
LAC

The loss of my beautiful cat

The cat sitting on my back in my avatar is my beloved Miss Maggie. We said goodbye to her on Thursday and I am just devastated by her loss.

We adopted Mags from a shelter in August 2006, when she was about four years old, which would have made her around 17 now. When we initially brought her home from the shelter I felt guilty for trying to "replace" our other cat who had recently died, and so she bonded with my husband first and me second, although it didn't take long for her to break through my barriers. She had a very distinct personality and could be quite ornery and tempermental, but she could also be sweet as pie, and she has provided a wealth of love and companionship for us. I am so very grateful that she came into our lives and allowed us to be her people.

In almost all of her years with us, Mags was a very healthy cat. She was diagnosed with arthritis in 2015 and we began taking her for monthly Adequan injections, which became a struggle because she absolutely hated going and would become physically ill from stress almost as soon as we pulled out of the driveway.

In late December 2018 when she had her annual exam, her weight was down from her consistent 13.3 pounds to 11.4 pounds. In January it was down to 10.8, so between then and April we had all kinds of tests run (multiple blood tests and urine cultures, xrays, ultrasound), which she was not thrilled to participate in. We learned her kidneys were small, she had some kidney stones, and she had also developed some intestinal thickening. Biopsies were suggested, but we declined; we couldn't see putting her through any more at her age.

Maggie continued to lose weight and her muscles wasted, affecting her balance - she was now down to 7.6#. However, until Monday her quality of life was still good - she ate well everyday, met us at the door every night, continued to jump up on our laps to nap, and was still feisty, growling and swiping at my son's cat if he walked too close to her (she has detested that cat since he came to live with us 2 years ago, although he is a very mellow fellow).

Early Monday morning we woke up and found her in distress with symptoms of what appeared to be a urinary tract infection. Our vet was closed, so we drove her to the emergency vet, who agreed it seemed like a UTI. They gave her an antibiotic injection and a B12 shot and sent her home. She hadn't made any improvement by Wednesday afternoon, so I made an appointment for our vet to evaluate her on Thursday afternoon. Thursday morning I got up with her about 4:30 a.m. and she was worse. My husband and I cried, knowing that we were going to have to let her go and give her peace. She woke up around 1:00 pm and rallied a little, giving me false hope, but when we got to the vet's office at 2:00 pm and I told them what had happened, they didn't suggest that we hold off, they prepped her and let us hold her and say our goodbyes while they gave her a shot for her final sleep.

I know she had a good long life, but my heart is crushed. I really wasn't ready for her to go and the house is just too empty without her. Please pray for my baby girl as she crosses the Rainbow Bridge.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 03:12 PM  
laurajhawk

I'm so sorry. You were a good family for her!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 03:12 PM  
sbh

Hugs for you all!!! I know exactly how you feel. It's been two years and I am still crying. My heart goes out to you.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 03:24 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Oh, I’m so sorry...I loved when you posted your avatar picture of how she did yoga with you. My condolences.
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 03:47 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I am so very, very sorry about your loss. I know exactly how you feel. I lost my 14yr old Ziggy to cancer almost exactly a year ago. After many tests and his decline we were left with no choice but to take him to the vet to euthanize him. It was horrible. I'm still crying and miss him very much.

Miss Maggie had a good life with you and she's in a place where she no longer feels the pain. My thoughts are with you and Miss Maggie.
Old 07-13-19, 03:49 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your kitty, it is terribly hard. She is watching over you now. Sending prayers to you and she as she crosses the Rainbow Bridge.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 04:26 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’m so sorry for the loss of your beloved friend.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 04:43 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Another cat lover here, who is saddened by your post and sorry for your loss! It's very hard and you'll cry many tears, but there will be moments of joy when you think back on your time together and remember what is special and unique about your cat!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 04:48 PM  
owltx

I am so, so sorry for your loss.
Old 07-13-19, 04:58 PM  
Erica H.

I am sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is so hard.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote