Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-20, 06:37 AM  
Vantreesta

Changing workout times

I apologize if this has been asked in the past but with the search function not working I didn't attempt a search.

Working out in the afternoon has always made me crabby unless it's hiking or snowshoeing. That being said, I'm looking for tips to switching from morning exercise to afternoon due to my time management and focus problems. I've been trying to workout in the morning and then do housework in the afternoon. The problem is by afternoon I have lost focus and ambition, particularly bc I don't want to do the housework but need to. I enjoy working out though, so I would like to try to switch my schedule on strength training days so I clean in the morning and workout in the afternoon (I will leave my run days as is bc it's too hot to run in the afternoon).

Can anyone share some tips for making this transition? I know it won't be easy given the crabbiness and lower energy around 3 PM but I really would like to try. What I've been doing hasn't been working so I need to try smthg different and have to start somewhere! Thanks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 08:41 AM  
laurajhawk

I switched the other way (pm to am) years ago and it was hard - took me two tries (the first time I was miserable and gave up, the second time I stuck with it). I think your reasons and your plan are good. The only thing I'd say is, for the first couple weeks, to pick workouts that make you happy, and allow yourself to change the planned workout at will. Make it "OK" even if it's a 10-minute workout so long as you actually put on the clothes, go to your workout space, and do something. The strongest temptation will be to skip it entirely, so if you get there, that's most of the battle, and you'll be establishing the habit.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 08:42 AM  
laurajhawk

Oh, and maybe half a banana before the workout? To help with the crabbiness and low energy.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 09:39 AM  
Vantreesta

Thank you, Laura! That makes a lot of sense. Like you said, establish the habit then really go at it. Walk before you run, right? Thanks!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 08-20-20, 10:30 AM  
Izzy

There is this expression called "eat your frog" which comes from a book I believe with the same name. Basically it says do what you dread first and early so you are done with it for the day. I had a co-worker who says she hated to talk on the phone (I wondered about this because she loved to call her friends and family and chat for hours but well that's another thing). But anyway, she would walk into work, tackle her voicemail and email immediately, return those dreaded phone calls and then start the rest of her day. I will say she did do this daily and it must have worked because she did have time for her social chats later. I got the book and it just helps you plan your day and do what you dread most first and early. So if you are dreading the house cleaning, just get up and get it done and then it's behind you. Also try making a daily list the night before. I tend to make list for my weekends. Crossing things off seems to help too. It's like a mental "yay you" for getting the chore done. At night I write down what I want to accomplish the next day and that seems to help too.
Old 08-24-20, 03:44 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Is there a possibility you could have a housecleaning service come in and only do the lighter stuff yourself?

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-20, 04:45 PM  
Vantreesta

Mary, I haven't read that book but know about the eat your frog first concept. I have tried several different things trying to keep myself on track but just haven't found the right tricks for myself yet. But I'm not giving up!

Karen, for years we thought about a cleaning service but I quit my miserable job over a year and a half ago and the deal with hubby was that I would take care of everything with the house so unless I go back to work I AM the cleaning service. I love being at home, I just need to find a routine that I can stick with and accomplish things.

Deleting Wordscapes off my phone would be a good start bc I'm obsessed with the game but I can't bring myself to do it!

Tags
workout time of day