Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-20, 02:51 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
We started our PE class with this song in grade school for years (the 1960’s version).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8df2skF8gnQ
I have the record!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 04:36 PM  
Tammie M

I started working out in 1983 at a local gym. That gym went out of business so I joined another. I moved and joined another gym which went out of business. So I found a new gym but then I moved again. I found a new gym and in a few years it went out of business. So around 1993 I started working out from home. My first home workouts were with Karen Voight, Kathy Smith, Candace Copeland, and Keli Roberts. I discovered VF in it's earlier format and it introduced me to The Firm and Cathe. Then I was hooked. I did take a 10 year break from 2004 to 2014. Initially during that time I was hooked on dance lessons. I danced 3 to 5 times a week. Then I joined a gym near my work. After a year it went out of business so I found another. In 2014 I retired and happily went back to my home workouts.
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 07:34 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I started working out about 21 years ago when I graduated from college, got a job that involved long hours and a lot of travelling (and was appalled by how haggard and unfit some of my colleagues were from overindulging in expense account-based takout dinners b/c they were frustrated with the boss/work and wanted to get something for it... and after awhile, I couldn't stand receiving offers from men to help me hoist my luggage into the overhead compartment of airplanes even though I know they meant well!) First, my roommate and college buddy suggested I try Pilates (so got the Jennifer Kries Precision Toning VHS!) Did some research online and found VF... then discovered that I might like Christi Taylor's Strength, Balance and Flexibility and then that led me to Cathe's MIS. I bought a pair of 8 lb dumbbells from the thrift store, and then got a purple neoprene set of 5 lb dumbbells brand new. And the rest is history!

I've been exercising consistently at least 5x per week except for about a year when I first moved to the SF Bay Area from the Boston area and was too busy having too much fun dating and learning on the (new) job. Then I met the dude who would become my husband and we started doing a lot of hiking together and once we moved in together, I had the time (!) and space to breakout my yoga mat again. I took a break from lifting weights for a couple of years because I thought yoga and walking/hiking/cycling was enough, but then I sustained a rotator cuff injury and that was a wake up call (from the orthopaedic doctor and then the physical therapist) to start strength training again. I have occasionally been a drop-in visitor at gyms (would pay to visit ex's gym with him way back when, use the fitness centers at work sometimes but always preferred outdoor stuff and using my home gear). And until I had kids, I was a yoga studio aficionado for ~10 years (with a few breaks), primarily in the Iyengar style but also some vinyasa.

With each pregnancy (I have two boys), I kept very active and did prenatal vinyasa yoga and made some modifications with weights and Pilates but always kept walking lots. Easiest C-section recoveries ever and I credit my exercise habits for it!

Life has been rougher than usual on the work front and on other fronts over the last 15 months, but through it all, waking up and getting my 30-60 mins of exercise in and then fitting in some walking/biking/hiking during the rest of the day has been a godsend in helping me keep on top of things (physically, emotionally, mentally) and easily fall asleep at night.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 09:05 PM  
Leonana

I worked out at gyms around 1990, when I was 30. Then I bought a Nordic Track ski machine, and exercised at home for awhile. Once I got married in 1996, I stopped working out, not sure why. I did workout a few months while pregnant with my daughter in 2000, but quit after I had her. I kick myself now that I didn't stick with it! But I thought it benefited pregnancy, and was too dense to realize it would have still been good for me! One of my problems was that I didn't like the aerobics videos at the time, as they were very dancey and I had two left feet.

I started working out in 2012, when I was 52. I read a post by someone who liked Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, so I tried it. I really liked it, the athletic style moves were easy for me to do. Then I decided to do a search for other workouts, and found the Collage website, and started posting on the forum. I discovered Jessica Smith from Collage, and have been working out to her dvd's and videos ever since. Shortly after that I discovered VF.

One benefit from exercise is that it slowed down my hearing loss. I developed a hearing loss in 2006, and it was progressively getting worse each year. Once I started working out, it made a big difference and my hearing stayed the same each year. It's amazing what exercise can do!
Old 06-16-20, 12:03 AM  
Sand

I was a child on the 1980's. Instead of Jazzercise we did Mousercise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AfUO8xCbbU

We also had the weighted bangles from Get in Shape Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZhvocyYtSc

I've never liked gyms or group classes, even as a kid. As a teen I was big into Denise Austin, I had her foam step for the longest time until I upgraded to the TransFIRMer. I also purchased a set of dumbbells as a teen that I still have.

The workouts that have made the most impact on me have been The Firm, Zumba and Barre.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 12:33 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i have.

videos made me more consistent, though, and provided more options. i used to be a runner and only did it maybe 3x/week, while in college.

edited to add:
i took a weight training class in college.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 01:41 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand View Post
I was a child on the 1980's. Instead of Jazzercise we did Mousercise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AfUO8xCbbU

We also had the weighted bangles from Get in Shape Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZhvocyYtSc

I've never liked gyms or group classes, even as a kid. As a teen I was big into Denise Austin, I had her foam step for the longest time until I upgraded to the TransFIRMer. I also purchased a set of dumbbells as a teen that I still have.

The workouts that have made the most impact on me have been The Firm, Zumba and Barre.

I remembered Get In Shape Girl (I had the light hand weights) but I can't believe I forgot Mousercise!
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 08:05 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post

One benefit from exercise is that it slowed down my hearing loss. I developed a hearing loss in 2006, and it was progressively getting worse each year. Once I started working out, it made a big difference and my hearing stayed the same each year. It's amazing what exercise can do!
WOW! That's amazing! Thanks for sharing. Gives me even more motivation to keep going.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 08:10 AM  
Rhonda

My best guess is at least 30 years. I can't remember exactly when I started but it has been a long time. It is actually hard to believe it has been so long.

I seemed to always prefer the working out at home. I did have gym access at work and would do yoga classes and some equipment workouts over lunch but since I changed jobs the gym access is no longer.

I have gone through FIRM, TaeBo, Cathe, bowflex (this was good, both hubby and I worked out together doing the Body for Life program), total gym (kinda wish we still had this now that I see Cathe does workouts for it)

I have a ton of DVDs and now don't use many as I have found what I enjoy and been sticking to that. My basement has all the equipment anyone probably would want and it does get used. Spinning bike, recumbent bike, treadmill, weights, squat cage, elliptical, home gym (hubby had to have but has only used a handful of times).

Boy how times change.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 08:51 AM  
adrien_73

28 years for me!

I started exercising when I was 19. It started with a cheap at-home stepper I bought at Lechmere. (Prior to that I was a couch potato!) I used it almost every day until the pistons wore out. I think that only took about 6-12 months! Then I decided to join a local gym.

I started doing basic weights & cardio machines, but I ended up falling in love with group fitness classes and became an instructor. I taught classes throughout college...probably for about 5 years. I also started getting into heavy strength training at this time.

Once I entered the working world, maintaining a class schedule and making it to the gym became very difficult. I knew I had to find a way to exercise at home. The home fitness dvds I tried felt too easy. One of my class participants introduced me to some Cathe workouts on VHS. In researching Cathe, I found a link to VF on her website...and the rest is history!

(Now I have so many overuse injuries...I wish I had kept all of those "easy" workouts I had way back in the day!)
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, first workout, first workouts, vf history