Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-10, 07:42 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

My PF lasted about 4 months. During that time I gave up running and high impact and just walked or did low impact cardio workouts. Like others, I stretched, rolled a water bottle filled w/ ice, and taped my foot every day. It will go away! Knock wood mine hasn't come back and I'm back to running and high impact. I got so used to stretching though that I do it now out of habit. I should also mention barre workouts help too.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 08:17 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Alta-tude posted a link in the Bargain watch for a free e-book - it has a section on PF. This might help -
http://www.robertsontrainingsystems....SMR-manual.pdf

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 09:48 AM  
Kimberly33

About the Strassburg sock--I'm guessing that it's too much of a stretch right now. Are they adjustable? Could you "let out" the toes a little bit? I use this boot, and when I first got it, if I tried to use the wedge I would have that pins-and-needles feeling. I had to go without it at first and ease into using it.

I went to PT for PF last fall. I was so used to the PF--it had been flaring at a low level for about a year, but my hip started really bothering me. The doctor and PT both agreed that the problem was the PF. He had me stretching 3x/day--two calf stretches (one straight legged, one bent) and a PF stretch (prop toes on wall or doorway and move knee forward. INTENSE!). He had me hold each stretch for 10 seconds to start, and do several reps. I also went in and they put heat on it then used ultrasound and massaged it. That really helped. I did that for 8 weeks or so.

I hope you find some relief!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 11:39 AM  
sophie kat

good luck at your appointment today, emily! (hug)

let us know how it goes.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 12:33 PM  
horsemom2

OK I got the Walkfit Platinum inserts at Bed, Bath and Beyond. At first I tried the *low* inserts which is how they are packaged and my worse left foot liked it immediately but my better right foot didn't LOL There was alot more pressure on the right foot, probably because my right leg is longer than my left. So then I tried *medium* and both feet are happy and I don't feel like my longer leg is that much longer anymore so I am hoping, it will help my alignment. It is supposed to take a breaking in period starting at an hour a day for the feet to adjust to them but my feet are already feeling fine.

I removed the padding as suggested from my favorite Ryka walking shoes and will use them exclusively with the inserts.

Barb S
who is hoping these inserts will eventually mean less back, hip and knee twinging
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 10:20 AM  
Angep

I had PF from walking barefoot on tile floors. Our whole first floor is tile. I got Fit Flops, and it went away, fast. I go through a pair every 5 months or so. I wear them in the house, and when I am going to walk a lot. Now, If I want to wear stilettos or other heels, I can now with no issues.
Angep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 11:31 AM  
videofit

I used to get it on and off, even when I wore orthotics. Then I learned that orthotics only keep your feet the way they are. Good Feet arch supports actually retrain your arches and help with balance. I think some sports teams use them. They were something like $150/pr (this was about ten years ago) and I got a black pair and a white pair so I could wear them with sandals of any color. I haven't had a problem since and I also rarely have lower back problems any more either, and I have mild scoliosis. My chiro recommends them to all her patients. Best money I ever spent. They are hard plastic so last forever.

However, it's important to get someone who knows how to fit you properly. It took me 45 min. before the salesperson was satisfied. She would have me stand on one pair then try to knock me off balance. Sometimes just by slipping a business card under one foot would knock me off center. Eventually with the right pair, I was able to stand firmly but quite easily no matter how she shoved me. Now, this wasn't violent pushing and shoving but enough to see the difference. I found the whole experience rather fascinating.

http://goodfeet.com/
Old 06-25-10, 12:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I used to get it on and off, even when I wore orthotics. Then I learned that orthotics only keep your feet the way they are. Good Feet arch supports actually retrain your arches and help with balance. I think some sports teams use them. They were something like $150/pr (this was about ten years ago) and I got a black pair and a white pair so I could wear them with sandals of any color. I haven't had a problem since and I also rarely have lower back problems any more either, and I have mild scoliosis. My chiro recommends them to all her patients. Best money I ever spent. They are hard plastic so last forever.

However, it's important to get someone who knows how to fit you properly. It took me 45 min. before the salesperson was satisfied. She would have me stand on one pair then try to knock me off balance. Sometimes just by slipping a business card under one foot would knock me off center. Eventually with the right pair, I was able to stand firmly but quite easily no matter how she shoved me. Now, this wasn't violent pushing and shoving but enough to see the difference. I found the whole experience rather fascinating.

http://goodfeet.com/
That sounds very interesting. Are they less bulky than custom orthotics? My orthotics feel great, but I wish they were not so bulky so I could wear them in more shoes. Right now I just have my runners, one pair of sandals, and one pair of black casual shoes that they will fit in.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 01:47 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie kat View Post
good luck at your appointment today, emily! (hug)

let us know how it goes.
Thank you everybody for all of the information! It relieves me to see just how many options there are that I have not pursued yet.

The podiatrist told me he thinks it will take between 6-8 months (GROAN), he also didn't seem surprised that the orthotics were uncomfortable but agreed to putting a temporary pad on the left one (my PF is on the left) and it does feel much better to walk on. The pain isn't gone (at all) but at least I can wear the orthotics again.

He told me that the orthotics were intentionally "hard" as I described them, because I have very flexible feet and they need to be more stabilized. Somebody with "stiff" feet, for instance, would require more cushony or soft orthotics. He told me in the long run it will be better for my foot health to get used to wearing them hard, and that an artificial arch will make my arches less capable of supporting themselves over time.

His overall takeaway message to me is that no one thing is going to make the pain go away - not the orthotics, the night sock which I asked him about (he said he didn't hold much weight in that method of healing), not icing and stretching. As for my exercise, he didn't tell me what I could and could not do (I told him I have temporarily given up jogging but am still biking, and doing some weight work) but told me I just need to see what works for my foot.

I'm really trying to stretch more, I'm icing my foot as I write, and I am about to research some of the options that you guys brought up for me. Thank you so much again. I couldn't imagine a better group, I'm part of such a loving and supportive family here!
Old 06-25-10, 02:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Emily - Good luck with your recovery! It can be a long process, I know it was for me. The most important thing is to listen to your feet as they will tell you what they can and can't do. I am glad to hear he did something to ease your orthotics. There definitely is an adjustment period with them. Mine are hard too and when I first got them I thought "how can I possibly get used to these things!" But now I am never without them when I have to be on my feet a lot. I am running 2 -3 X a week and my feet feel fine.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot injury, foot pain, heel pain, orthotics, plantar fasciitis