Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-09-19, 09:59 AM  
Runninggirl

Vannie - when is your race?

Pratima - what happened to the days when parents let kids solve those types of problems? That mom is not doing her child any favors in learning how to navigate disputes. Young boys not getting along is not new news - but on their own they make up and move on! Give him a birthday hug from me! So many of my friends are in the stage now where you are with your dad and grandma - such a tough position to be in. And it is so unpredictable what they remember and what they don't remember. I want to come to AZ and do Burn with you - sounds like fun!

Me - The Big Ol Group Run was hot, humid and fun! 500 people and 45 running groups. We ran (kinda ) , stopped and took pictures, socialized and had a great time.
But on Thursday.. - it was almost like a two a day because we finished running at 8 pm , I got home after 9 and ran again at 6:15 am. 7 very easy miles and after the first 2 I finally loosened up and felt better. I am a rigid plan follower and while the group run wasn't on my plan the 7 miles was so even though it made no sense I did it. Two a days are not for me!
Today - 3 mile run with BOMF. Came home and did Agility X3 - probably not the best choice since it is all legs but since it was next in the schedule I felt obligated.... ! I need to take my own advice and remember less is more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GroupRun2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	4653  
Runninggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 08:39 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

I just realized I haven't checked in yet this month. Last week was beach week, and I ran once and biked a bunch of times. I also ate a lot of Duck Donuts.

Today Megan and I ran 3 miles. She's crazy fast now so we didn't run together, but it was nice being out there with her. I need to double that and knock some time off each mile to meet the minimum pace for the 10K I have the end of September. But I feel good that I can do that.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 07:31 AM  
Vantreesta

Training is going pretty good. Still having troubles with my hip. I haven't run since Thursday and did less walking over the wknd and it's feeling some better. Was supposed to run yesterday but I had a headache most of the day. Have to run today.

Went to the Kid Rock concert with a friend on Saturday. Had a great time even though it rained on us a lot. Thankfully no lightning so they didn't have to call off the show. I was so wound up when I got home that I stayed up till 3 watching the replay of the Twins game. Ended up sleeping in till almost 9:30. Didn't accomplish much yesterday, tired and headache, and slept almost 3 hours, missing the second half of the game, but the headache still held on. Finally took smthg for it and it mostly went away.

I am really struggling lately. I feel like I'm just floundering and all I want to do is cuddle my dogs, bake and watch TV. Zero motivation. I think sleeping poorly, sick of heat and sun, and guilt over not getting things done around the house are just burying me. I only seem to have control over one of those so maybe I should just not try to workout this week and focus on the house. When I workout in the morning it's somehow like 1:00 before I'm showered and ready to start the day.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 07:51 PM  
Vantreesta

I put off running this morning bc I couldn't make myself. Was planning to go at 7 tonight and it started raining. Today was supposed to be my official start date for Black River Classic 10k training (it's in October, have been running but need to add in strength training and hills). Not the best way to start off!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 08-13-19, 02:30 PM  
Vantreesta

I decided to try smthg a little different today. There was heavy fog this morning so I wasn't sure if I would end up running or not (didn't know if it would be too hot after the fog cleared). I went ahead and ate my yogurt before I did dog walks and didn't listen to a meditation while we walked. It was still pretty foggy when we finished and my stomach was growling so I went ahead and ate a real breakfast then listened to a meditation seated with Cyric, which was really good. By then I figured I could run. The humidity was beastly at 92% and the temp was 69 but the complete cloud cover made it bearable. Made it 6 miles again for wk12 day2. I was determined not to let a lot of time lapse before my stretch like I usually do so I pretty quickly got downstairs and did 7 Minutes to Save Your Knees and then YFR post-run practice. I wanted to do more but figured it was getting late enough I better shower and eat lunch. My mood is a little better after starting the day like this. My hip is not so happy again though.

Old 08-13-19, 02:40 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Gail, the Big Ol' Run looks like it was amazing! Despite the ATL weather. I would LOVE for you to come visit! Have you ever been to this area of the country? Of course, it'd be better in the sprint.

Vantreesta, sounds like maybe you need some change. I have to say, all I'm doing lately are the 45 minute workouts at Burn and I'm finally seeing changes in my body. Before I was running, taking spin class, swimming, AND doing Jari workouts and felt like only the Jari workouts really worked me out. If you need to switch to only worrying about the house, I say give it a shot.

DH is down to his last week of treatment. He has chemo today (has been gone all morning) and tomorrow and of course still doing radiation. Last day is next Tuesday. And thank goodness, because it's gotten really rough. The skin on the outside of his neck is all burned (not as bad as mine, but still peeling) and even worse on the inside. Yesterday I picked up a prescription for him of Tylenol with Codeine. If he takes that, he can at least handle a smoothie.

I can tell it's affecting DS. We had his party Sunday and DH came late so he wouldn't have to be outside as long. DS had fun but I feel like his overall affect is...not gloomy but maybe sullen? He looked forward to his party for weeks and seemed to have fun there but isn't talking about it now.

Oh, and DH took the kids to school Friday for Donuts With Dad. They have donuts in the gym before school. It's a nice little time to hang out. When he started to leave, DS walked away but then burst into tears and ran back, saying he didn't want him to go. I'm sure it's partially a case of him having all these feelings and being too young to do anything with them.

I ended up signing up for Burn and have decided to go for 30 days of classes. Meaning, go 6x a week for a solid month and not pressure myself to do anything else. Those 45 minutes hit a lot! My arms look better already. I may try to do some short runs now and then but in all honesty can't fit in much more.

I have a work meeting the week of 9/2, from Tuesday afternoon until lunchtime Friday. It's in the metro Phoenix area but easily a 45 minute or more drive in rush hour. I can stay at the hotel but initially didn't think DH would be able to get the kids to school. Now I'm thinking that's doable and it might be good to get away. Of course then I can't go to Burn since there isn't one nearby! I'm sure I can figure something out.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 05:34 AM  
Runninggirl

Alison - your beach pictures were gorgeous!! I love the east coast beaches! How great that you and Megan get to do all of those sports activities together! The ED at one of my nonprofits showed up to a meeting with a boxful of Duck Donuts - there was a fight over the bacon one . Has work slowed down?

Pratima - glad DH's treatments are almost at the end. I hate that he is experiencing all of those symptoms and hope it clears soon after the treatments are done. Precious little DS - I just want to give him a big hug! I hope you do get away for the meeting and get some alone time! Burn sounds amazing! I am finding just like you that the short workouts that pack a punch work really well but for fitness and running. I have been to AZ twice - once to run the Rock N Roll marathon and once to Sedona where I would go back in a heartbeat - such a beautiful and relaxing place.

Vannie - I hope you can figure out what works for you. Your goals are always lengthy and it sounds like you feel so defeated if the full list is not completed. We each have our own ways of doing things and perhaps you can think of a way to break down your list into manageable chunks so it is a victory when you complete each small chunk - just a thought as you know how you best operate! I'll be cheering for you!

Me
The usual - 12 mile run with my Saturday group, 4 mile run Sunday and X3 The Challenge. Moved from doing pullups the Cathe way on the Tower to my son's pull up bar assisted and Monday my upper body was so sore - progress hurts ! Monday was 3 mile run with BOMF and X3 Yoga. Tuesday was track and ATL hit 100 right before track started! I almost didn't go but the workout was easy and the wind started up when we started running so it wasn't that bad. Wednesday I took a complete rest day because I knew I was going to be at work forever and needed to be fresh for the long day. Today is a 7 mile hilly run at an easy pace - headed out soon!
Runninggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-19, 03:46 PM  
Vantreesta

I did a 5k training run on Friday and then my own (half-hearted) stretch.

Last week was a bust, but at least I did run twice. This week all I'm really planning on is two runs and yoga. After the race I will need to buckle down and get ready for the next one!

We went to the Ren Fest yesterday. It was quite warm but there was enough breeze to make it not so bad in the shade. My hip never hurt or felt uncomfortable, which surprised me since I walked 5 hours in very old sandals. I had a few twinges after we were home but never any pain yesterday. I finally slept good last night other than when Chianna had me awake bc she was afraid of the storm.

I am tired of feeling so HUNGRY all the time!!

Old 08-18-19, 03:51 PM  
Vantreesta

I never answered my own questions!

QUESTIONS FOR August:

1. Any races this month? 5k this Saturday to celebrate Sandy's birthday with her
2. How much time do you generally let pass btwn the end of your run and the start of your stretch, and how long do you usually spend stretching? I had been letting too much time pass bc the longer runs were making me so tired (and hot and sweaty) but after last week's long run I did manage to not wait too long. I usually do Yoga for Runners post-practice which is 20 minutes with the DVD and 20-25 from memory, depending on what extras I add.
3. What do you carry for hydration when you run for longer than an hour? Does it change btwn hot weather and cooler weather? I've found I have to carry two 12-ounce bottles of water now with the heat. I usually have them finished before I get back home. I really don't like carrying smthg in both hands but I can't stand having anything bounce on me when I run and have a hard time spending money on a hydration belt not knowing it if it will be comfortable enough.

Old 08-18-19, 04:05 PM  
Vantreesta

Gail, I didn't realize all the changes that would ripple down from your coach leaving: new location, people going different directions. That's a bummer. Although from what I think I know of you, you probably consider it a new adventure and chance to meet new people! You're so right that I aim too high and beat myself up for not meeting my expectations. I have yet to figure out how to change this!

Pratima, I hope things are going more smoothly with your dad and grandma. Is DD back to normal after being sick? I'm sorry your DH is having all the side effects from treatment and it's affecting DS so much. Yes, my question was about muscular endurance but Sandy made a good point that as much as I walk dogs and have for all these years and hiking and everything I shouldn't be worried about it for the race. Stick with my plan and just keep training.

Alison, I'm glad you had time away. I hope you're kicking work's butt now instead of the other way around! I've never had Duck's Donuts (or heard of them other than here!) but I have a serious weakness for glazed donuts and long johns. I want to figure out how to make fudge that tastes like glazed donuts!

The trail race is two months away! I better get signed up for it.