Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-17, 11:10 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA meta question

Hopefully someone will have some advice.

I completed two years of TA HIP centric Meta with great results. For several reasons (mostly 2 fractures) I was away from TA meta for a year or so. When I got strong enough I went back to meta, but decided to change it up and am using GLUTE centric. I've been having some low back achiness and am not getting the same results as with HIP (of course I'm older now). So my questions:

1. I recall some posters complaining about low back pain with META - anyone experience it with GLUTE centric necessarily?
2. If I switch back to HIP, any advice on starting over with level 1 vs. picking up with Hip at level 6 (I'm on level 6 of Glute).

TIA!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-17, 12:41 PM  
desie

Might it be that you are allowing your low back to do some of the work to do the rear leg lifts? The low back waist area works more if you allow the pelvis to move as well as the leg. I don't think that's what's intended, I think instead you activate your abs to hold the pelvis in neutral, and lift the leg while the pelvis stays still. You can try this lying on your stomach, contract the abs to hold the pelvis still, keep that, then bend one leg 90 degrees and lift foot to the ceiling. You feel that in your low butt/thutt area. Then try not holding the pelvis still and lifting - see if that is what hurts your back. I think after a long while, once the abs strengthen, you can gradually stabilize your pelvis and keep the tug of the abs pulling the pelvis in the direction of a tuck while the low butt/thutt muscles are working.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-17, 05:05 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Desie - When I try what you suggest I don't really experience a problem with either position, although I expect that some of what you describe does happen and with all the reps may contribute. I was fine until level 5 of glute and never had a problem with hip meta (or any barre), so fairly frustrating.
Old 04-14-17, 05:05 PM  
Tugger31

I don't know what exercises are in Meta Hip, but if they are all 4's moves like leg raises etc I saw a modification where you raise your step height to the 8 or 10 inch height, lay on your step lengthwise on your stomach with your hip bones on the edge or just off the edge and then do your leg lift exercises. You may need to place a towel under your hips depending on your position.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-17, 03:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

thanks everyone. being extra vigilant about keeping my ab engaged helped during the workout but I am more sore now. so thinking it is my psoas, which will cause low back pain when it is strained. I may just switch over to hip centric.