Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-19, 06:45 AM  
sherry7899

Are there any fans of the Irish singer Hozier here? His long awaited second album "Wasteland, Baby" will be released on March 1st.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 09:42 AM  
sherry7899

Talking

Has anyone else seen the movie "Rocketman?"

SPOILERS:

We really enjoyed it!

We caught a few timeline errors as far as when songs were released, but overall we really enjoyed it. The lead actor was fantastic. We were very impressed by his singing. He sounded like Elton without sounding like a karaoke version of him.

Ron Howard's daughter played Elton's mother! She was really good. I did not even know she was an actress. Jamie Bell, who played Bernie Taupin was the lead actor in the movie "Billy Elliott" which I love. Now I want to watch that again!

The way Elton's parents treated him was horrific. It was extremely sad to watch that. Thank goodness for his grandmother! It is also amazing that he LIVED to see the 1980s with the amount of drugs, drinking and being bulimic. The movie covers the time span from when he was young to when he left rehab at the end of the 1980s.

They skipped some things, but you can only fit so much in two hours. They did not touch on his friendship with John Lennon, or John showing up at Elton's concert at Madison Square Garden (one of my older sisters happened to be there for that show!) or John's death. Elton doesn't perform "Empty Garden" which he wrote for John, so I can see why they left it out. They also left out his vocal problems when he had surgery and they did not know if he would be able to sing again.

Wow, his manager John Reid was a ....fill in your choice of expletive! He managed Queen also, so between them he was set for life.

We ended up pulling out Elton dvds and watching his two hour A and E Biography special, the "Two Rooms" documentary about how he and Bernie write songs and the "To Russia with Elton" concert dvd. to watch Saturday and last night. You could say we're geeks!

Old 06-03-19, 09:56 AM  
Gams

Should be a good music week for me - going to see Tammy & Jay on Thursday and Gordon Lightfoot on Friday!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 10:46 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Should be a good music week for me - going to see Tammy & Jay on Thursday and Gordon Lightfoot on Friday!
I'm so jealous! I've wanted to see Gordon Lightfoot for years!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 11:23 AM  
Gams

I saw him a few years ago and he was great, so looking forward to seeing him again. This time it will be outdoors and so far, the weather forecast is for perfect weather.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 11:24 AM  
sherry7899

Gams, enjoy your concerts!

Old 06-03-19, 11:44 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I saw him a few years ago and he was great, so looking forward to seeing him again. This time it will be outdoors and so far, the weather forecast is for perfect weather.
Enjoy! I had read somewhere a few years ago that his voice had been affected by stroke and that the concert wasn't as enjoyable but I'd still love to hear for myself!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-19, 06:51 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
That would be so much fun...but it is over the Thanksgiving weekend and we'll be out of town visiting relatives. Bummer!
Wendy, is Squeeze playing near you on their current tour? We just saw them on Friday night. It was a great show as usual.

We are seeing the singer Mary Fahl next Saturday. Labor Day weekend we will see The Alarm/Modern English/ Gene Loves Jezebel on Saturday and Sunday is The Who at Madison Square Garden with an orchestra. In September we are seeing Joan Jett/Heart as a double bill.

Old 08-19-19, 11:01 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Wendy, is Squeeze playing near you on their current tour? We just saw them on Friday night. It was a great show as usual.

We are seeing the singer Mary Fahl next Saturday. Labor Day weekend we will see The Alarm/Modern English/ Gene Loves Jezebel on Saturday and Sunday is The Who at Madison Square Garden with an orchestra. In September we are seeing Joan Jett/Heart as a double bill.
Yes, Squeeze is playing in Chicago, but it is over the Labor Day weekend and we will be out of town. I'm hoping to get tickets for Massive Attack next month. I missed getting tickets when they went on sale, but I'll check the day of and see if I can get decently priced tickets. Liz Fraser of Cocteau Twins is singing on this tour!

Wow, you're busy seeing lots of bands! I haven't thought of Gene Loves Jezebel in forever! I wish I could see more live performances but it is so damn expensive these days! With the cost of the ticket and random "fees" it adds up fast!
Old 08-19-19, 11:30 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Yes, Squeeze is playing in Chicago, but it is over the Labor Day weekend and we will be out of town. I'm hoping to get tickets for Massive Attack next month. I missed getting tickets when they went on sale, but I'll check the day of and see if I can get decently priced tickets. Liz Fraser of Cocteau Twins is singing on this tour!

Wow, you're busy seeing lots of bands! I haven't thought of Gene Loves Jezebel in forever! I wish I could see more live performances but it is so damn expensive these days! With the cost of the ticket and random "fees" it adds up fast!

Concert ticket prices have gotten insane. We were surprised that Joan Jett/Heart were only $39.50 plus fees. The Who was expensive, but to see them at Madison Square Garden with an orchestra is too special to pass up.

It is ironic that The Alarm and Modern English are touring together. They played at my husband's college around 1984, and there was an issue about which band was headlining. This time The Alarm are unquestionably the headliners.

Tags
music, music geek